Now THAT'S a headline you don't see everyday!

samhexum

On 5/31/2023 at 8:17 AM, jeezopete said:

Al Pacino, 83, expecting child with girlfriend Noor Alfallah

f27feff5-0b70-4681-9ada-6b4c5e022cfe-Al_
WWW.USATODAY.COM

Pacino's 29-year-old girlfriend is eight months pregnant. The "Godfather" actor, 83, has three other children from previous relationships.

al-pacino-lc-230530-7c86a8.jpg
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

The Academy Award winner, now with four kids, defied medical ethicists' and doctors' concerns.

😢

On 6/15/2023 at 6:30 AM, samhexum said:

Oh my.

So he was recording the "lewd act" ?

Do you think he has an OnlyFans that he shares with his dog ?

lap dog.jpg

Edited by pubic_assistance

17 minutes ago, jeezopete said:

She was at Dollar General in just a towel — and then it came off, Florida police say

Dollar General + Malt Liquor + Lake County Florida = at least she didn't have a loaded weapon under that towel.

1 minute ago, jeezopete said:

Mom Had Three Kids with Down Syndrome. Then She Discovered She Has It, Too (Exclusive)

f6b6fb95724da6748c284ef47bad12c6
WWW.YAHOO.COM

Ashley Zambelli had three kids who tested positive for trisomy 21 — then she found out that she had it too

I just read a story about NBA player Tony Snell, who was inspired by his 2 year old's autism diagnosis to get himself tested and find out at age 31 that he is on the spectrum.

1 hour ago, samhexum said:

I just read a story about NBA player Tony Snell, who was inspired by his 2 year old's autism diagnosis to get himself tested and find out at age 31 that he is on the spectrum.

There's no "test" for autism/spectrum. Those on the spectrum tend to be clumsy. While not all are super clumsy, it's pretty unlikely one would make a living in professional sports. 

Edited by Unicorn

10 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

There's no "test" for autism/spectrum. Those on the spectrum tend to be clumsy. While not all super clumsy, it's pretty unlikely one would make a living in professional sports. 

NBA forward Tony Snell can thank his son for helping him learn something important about himself.

Appearing on NBC's "Today" on Friday, Snell revealed that he was able to discover as an adult that he has autism spectrum disorder after his 2-year-old son Karter was diagnosed at 18 months.

"I'm like, 'You know what, if he's diagnosed [with autism], then I think I am [on the autism spectrum] too.' So that gave me the courage to go get checked up," Snell told "Today."

As a kid in California, Snell said he was "always independent growing up. Always being alone. I just couldn't connect with people on the personal side of things."

Despite not being diagnosed until he was 31, Snell said the news made sense to him.

"I was not surprised, because I always felt different," Snell said. "I was just relieved, like 'Ahh, this is why I am the way I am.' It just made my whole life, everything about my life, make so much sense. It was like a clarity, like putting some 3-D glasses on."

After being picked by the Chicago Bulls in the first round of the 2013 draft, Snell has since played for the Milwaukee Bucks, Detroit Pistons, Atlanta Hawks, Portland Trail Blazers and finished the 2021-22 season with the New Orleans Pelicans. He played in 19 games this season for the Boston Celtics' G League affiliate. But Snell said he thinks that not being diagnosed earlier in his life actually helped him reach the NBA.

"I think I'd have probably been limited with the stuff I could probably do," Snell said. "I don't think I'd have been in the NBA if I was diagnosed with autism [at his son's age]. Because back then, like, what is autism? They'd have probably put a limit or a cap on my abilities."

Ultimately Snell said he just wants to support his son.

"I want to make sure my son knows that I have his back," Snell said. "When I was a kid, I felt different, but I can show him that I'm right here with you and we're going to ride this thing together, we're going to grow together and we're going to accomplish a lot of things together."

2 minutes ago, samhexum said:

..."I'm like, 'You know what, if he's diagnosed [with autism], then I think I am [on the autism spectrum] too.' ...

Can't argue with that irrefutable logic! 

10803.jpg
LINK.SPRINGER.COM

Are motor coordination deficits an underlying cardinal feature of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)? Database searches identified 83 ASD studies focused on motor...

"...This large effect indicated substantial motor coordination deficits in the ASD groups across a wide range of behaviors. The current overall findings portray motor coordination deficits as pervasive across diagnoses, thus, a cardinal feature of ASD...".

2 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Those on the spectrum tend to be clumsy. While not all are super clumsy, it's pretty unlikely one would make a living in professional sports. 

True.

But that's why it's called a spectrum. Plus that spectrum is why it's difficult to test for. Lots of variations in the symptoms.

I'm no expert but poor social skills seems to be more typical  than the clumsiness that is often but not always associated with the condition.

2 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

...I'm no expert but poor social skills seems to be more typical  than the clumsiness that is often but not always associated with the condition.

Yes, I know you're no expert. Poor social skills are not "typical" of ASD. They're required for the diagnosis. The term used in medicine for this is sine qua non, meaning that it's a necessary (but not sufficient) element of the diagnosis. Clumsiness, however, may be described as typical. It is usually present, but not required for the diagnosis. There has been some debate over the years over whether or not to include clumsiness as a requirement for diagnosis, although at this time, it's not a requirement. The argument for the inclusion is to avoid diagnosing all socially awkward people with ASD, and to solidify what one means by the disorder, especially when it comes to identifying potential research subjects. So is it possible for two Olympic gymnasts to have an ASD child who's not clumsy? Probably. 

That being said, being a professional basketball player requires exceptional hand-eye coordination, so I would seriously doubt the accuracy of an ASD diagnosis in someone so dextrous and agile as a professional basketball player. Adding to the suspicion his use of the phrase "testing positive" for the disease, which I can't imagine a health professional using. Many studies have shown at least some amount of clumsiness in people with ASD. True, some have it to only a mild degree, and may not even have any apparent impairment. But professional basketball player? No, I don't think so. 

pubmed-meta-image.png
PUBMED.NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV

Clumsiness has been proposed as a diagnostic feature of Asperger syndrome (AS), a type of pervasive developmental disorder recently introduced in the...

"...While coordination deficits were found in all three groups, children with AS were found to be less impaired than those with autistic disorder and PDDNOS. However, no significant relationship was found between coordination scores and diagnosis after adjusting for the level of intelligence. These findings suggest that some patients with AS may be less clumsy than those with autistic disorder and that this difference may be the result of their higher level of intelligence....".

(AS refers to Asperger Syndrome, an older term for ASD, less often used these days)

Edited by Unicorn

17 hours ago, Unicorn said:

There's no "test" for autism/spectrum. Those on the spectrum tend to be clumsy. While not all are super clumsy, it's pretty unlikely one would make a living in professional sports. 

15 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

But that's why it's called a spectrum. Plus that spectrum is why it's difficult to test for. Lots of variations in the symptoms.

A photo of Donald Triplett.

Shockingly, he WASN'T a basketball player.

I've known a few Aspergers people over the years. Definitely struggled with social cues. But then that's probably why you know they're on the Spectrum. I have to think about the clumsy thing.  I wonder if you take that more in stride and it stands out less than the weirdness of the inability to move a conversation forward.

4 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

I've known a few Aspergers people over the years. Definitely struggled with social cues. But then that's probably why you know they're on the Spectrum. I have to think about the clumsy thing.  I wonder if you take that more in stride and it stands out less than the weirdness of the inability to move a conversation forward.

Thinking back on them, do you remember any of them doing well in sports (other than sports which don't require coordination, such as running or weight-lifting)?

2 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Thinking back on them, do you remember any of them doing well in sports (other than sports which don't require coordination, such as running or weight-lifting)?

Well of the people who were clearly ( and some admittedly ) Aspergers....I have to say none of them were good at sports. True. I can think of one who was definitely rather clumsy. I never associated the two. Interesting fact. Thanks for sharing.