Do you have the time?

FrankR
This topic is 2143 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My trusted SEIKO 5 is steadily losing time. Time for a replacement and maybe an upgrade? Any horologists on here that can recommend a brand/model in the $200 to $500 range? :)

(I recall a thread on here a while ago, but it focused on expensive watches - sadly I am too frugal for an Omega or Rolex!):D

Take it to a watch maker, or adjust to correcting the time. My 40yo Seiko loses time, especially when I don't move my arm enough to keep it running. But seriously is your watch your main time-keeper?

Mine is motion driven too. I used to be able to take it off on Friday, put it back on, on Monday without need for adjustment. Nowadays it runs out of juice by Sunday morning so I have to adjust it every Monday morning. (I know, it is SUCH a burden! :D)During the week I need a watch. Weekends, not so much. ;)

Psst... wanna buy a nice watch REALLY cheap?

Man’s $135K watch stolen by woman he met at nightclub: cops

Another well-heeled horndog had a pricey watch stolen by a woman he brought back to his Manhattan hotel room, police said Thursday.

The 34-year-old mark was first targeted at Tao Downtown in Chelsea early Wednesday, and he asked the woman to come back to his room at The Mark Hotel on East 77th Street just before 3 a.m., cops said.

When the pair got to the room at the five-star hotel, the man put his $135,000 timepiece from luxury Swiss watch manufacturer Patek Philippe & Co. in the room’s safe, authorities said.

At some point the man took a shower, while the woman stayed in the room, cops said.

When he got out, he noticed his watch was missing.

Police say the man confronted the woman about the missing watch and she denied heisting it before leaving.

It was unclear whether or not the safe was properly locked.

On Wednesday, the man checked out of the hotel where rooms and suites range in price from $645 to $10,565 per night.

The man gave cops the hotel’s address as his home address, police said.

Last year, a pair of women robbed nearly $80,000 worth of jewelry from men who suddenly got dizzy and passed out in their luxe Manhattan hotel rooms.

In August 2017, an elderly Florida ladies man was robbed of a $3,000 watch by two women who seduced him at the Loews Regency Hotel on Park Avenue.

Also that month, a Saudi diplomat’s $30,000 watch and other bling was pilfered by a hot date he brought home from celebrity haunt 1 Oak.

My Citizen Eco-Drive, which I bought several years ago, is powered NOT by motion but by light. Therefore, as long as I leave it out to absorb light, it continues to be energized. It has never lost time. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it certainly was no more than $250. However, the majority of the time I wear a $20 Casio, which also remains accurate, and has a battery that lasts a couple of years.

However, the majority of the time I wear a $20 Casio, which also remains accurate, and has a battery that lasts a couple of years.

Thank you, Charlie. With talk of all these expensive watches, I was ashamed to say my $20 Casio from Target has served me perfectly for years. No date resetting, no battery problems, time kept perfectly, everything great. Occasional wristband break, though.

Thank you, Charlie. With talk of all these expensive watches, I was ashamed to say my $20 Casio from Target has served me perfectly for years. No date resetting, no battery problems, time kept perfectly, everything great. Occasional wristband break, though.

I have a few Skagens that just need new batteries every once in a while. The first one I bought in 1996 looks brand new, despite me being tough on watches.

I love my two Skagens - unfortunately one of them I wore out the leather band and I haven't found a suitable replacement yet.

I only buy the watches with the metal mesh bands. That's actually what attracted me to Skagen in the first place. I sweat through leather bands to the point the band breaks in a matter of months.

PS: A larger Macy's store might be able to help you order a replacement band. I needed the stem of one of my Skagens replaced and Macy's hooked me up with the company.

The infamous Casio “wristband break” is what ultimately got me out of the habit of wearing wristwatches. When The band would break, I would just completely move both halves of the band, and put the watch in my pocket. A pocket watch, so too speak!

I ended up preferring this because of outdoor and boating activities and I wouldn’t get a tan line like with my wrist watch. Ultimately is totally set me up for when smart phones became my timepiece.

It's not really what the OP asked, but here goes. I have a nice collection of rather expensive watches, but I wore my trusted Casio daily for years. In getting ready to travel a few years back, I took two of them to my jeweler for new batteries and to be cleaned for the trip. I casually told him that I never really wore them and kept them in the safe most of the time. He looked at me with a little surprise and said, " Well you're not getting any younger, so who are you saving them for, your relatives so that they can enjoy them after you're gone?" I didn't have an answer. I wear them every day now. Cleaning and upkeep is surprisingly minimal, and I thoroughly enjoy them.

Edited by bigvalboy

My trusted SEIKO 5 is steadily losing time. Time for a replacement and maybe an upgrade? Any horologists on here that can recommend a brand/model in the $200 to $500 range? :)

I've bought a few watches from home shopping channel Evine.com in the past, & love them all. This is my favorite one I got from them over a year ago: https://www.evine.com/Product/629-105 & it's w/in your price range.

Check out their site & see if there's anything you like. Evine sells a lot of crap like any other home shopping channel, but they do have an extensive variety of watches, from various brands & price points, especially for men.

They also sell a lot of Waterford crystal at discount prices during special events, perfect gifts for weddings & anniversary events <3

I have three fine Swiss watches, but recently found myself wanting a watch with a blue face. I found a Tissot Chronograph on sale at Macy’s. A beautiful design with a navy leather strap with a deployment clasp. It is a Swiss ETA Quartz movement and was on sale for $344. The same model was available with a black face and brown strap, or white face and stainless bracelet. The Quartz movement lacks the cachet of an automatic movement, but will keep perfect time with nothing more than a new battery every 3 years. Tissot has been making watches in Switzerland since 1853, and at this price if I find that I tire of a blue watch, or don’t wear it all that often then I won’t have invested too much.