IT'S FUCKING HOT!!!!!

Epigonos
This topic is 2112 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile in the southern hemisphere (where it's winter) Canberra has just had two heavy frost nights -6.2 and -7.4 (that's 20.8F and 18.7F) which is cold for this place. Don't worry, I'll mention temperatures in the 40s here when it's snowing there next December and January!

A friend in LA is an avid tomato grower. He lost most of this year’s crop during the excessive heat. They became water balloons on the vine, stewed in place.

I have four tomato plants on the patio and I’m worried about this Texas heat...

My first ever solo crop - hoping they survive and produce

On really hot days, you could always bring the pots they are in into your house/apartment. Regardless, keep up the water to them.

They are in huge, bulky containers - but I hadn’t considered that, good thought (might try to save my greens that way)

When I hear things like this, I'm happy to put up with a Midwest winter to have anywhere from a nice to a tolerable summer.

Having grown up and lived in Chicago until 2000 I can tell you I'd rather have the Phoenix summer than the Chicago winter and summer. 95 degrees and 90% humidity is way worse than a dry 115 degrees. Plus, no frostbite!

I gave up on growing tomatoes.

For years, I lived in a great little waterfront community in the bay area. Inland, warm, but on the bay. Location kept the temp maximums down a bit... usually 90s. Grew fantastic tomatoes. Delicious, sweet, prolific harvest.

Moved 8-10 miles, no longer water-adjacent. Temps 10° higher, nights not as cool. Tried for 10 years... many tomato plants died, more grew, but never set fruit. An occassional cherry tomato produced sparsely.

Microclimates!

.....our summer rains, exotically called "monsoons" by some, arrive in July and August....
Those monsoons draw their moisture from the south, the Gulf of Mexico and Gulf of California, and it rides on northbound winds along the Sierra. Its what causes thunderstorms in the mountains.

I was in Lake Tahoe last week. There's a huge fire burning at Yosemite, 120 miles south of Tahoe, at present. Those monsoon winds carried the Yosemite fire smoke north. Tahoe is served by Reno TV. The morning weather forecasts for Reno, Sparks, Carson City were all "99 and smoke" Tahoe was "89 & Smoke." They cautioned to stay inside. I woke up to a view of brown hazy air, barely able to see the water from my lakeside hotel, and unable to see the mountains surrounding lake.

Screen-Shot-2018-07-19-at-12.22.14-PM-1.png

The typical view:

http://media6.trover.com/T/548b302126c48d40c80029d5/fixedw_large_4x.jpg

When I hear things like this, I'm happy to put up with a Midwest winter to have anywhere from a nice to a tolerable summer.

I grew up in Chicagoland with those winters, spent 5 years in Michigan. I'll take the heat ... I'm Californicated.

I haven’t given up, and the climate here this season is challenging. But this guy is my true nemesis:

770_AE0_DF-_CD25-4817-_A522-60026388_D77_E.jpg

I know that guy. And his cousins.

The only good thing I can say... while he's voracious, he usually doesnt arrive with many many friends.

Picking him off plants, along with a few of his cousins usually works. And throwing him into a neighbor's yard can be satisfying - depending upon your relationship with that neighbor.

Every summer we drive from Palm Springs up to visit a friend who lives on the northern Oregon coast, but I can never plan the route until just before we leave, because I have to see which roads in California are closed by wildfires that week.

A man leaving an Arizona hospital Tuesday tried to beat the heat by stealing an ambulance to avoid walking, police said.

The Mesa Police Department said in a news releaseTodd Shell, 37, had just been released from the Banner Desert Hospital around 11:30 a.m. for a “heat related situation.”

“When officers interviewed Shell after his arrest, he said when he came out of the hospital he thought it was too hot to walk home,” police said. “He walked back towards the hospital when he found the ambulance running in the bay while the crew was dropping off another patient. Shell decided to take the ambulance at that point so he wouldn’t have to walk.”

Mesa Police said Shell was found driving on the U.S. 60 Freeway, and that, as officers tried to stop the 37-year-old, he “continued driving at normal speeds.”

After getting off the freeway, Shell stopped and was soon surrounded by police.

“Shell said that he wanted to buy a sandwich, but needed to go home and get some money first,” police said. “He said that he intended to return the ambulance.”

Shell was booked into jail on one count of unlawful use of means of transportation and one count of unlawful flight from law enforcement, according to police.

A representative with the Phoenix Fire Department told FOX10 it’s not out of the ordinary for EMTs to leave the keys in the ignition, while bringing a patient into the ER.

Sunday morning. Reading, watching news. The many CA fires seem to dominate the stories.

I find myself wondering: are the stories getting more attention? Or, is my gut-feeling accurate, is this a particularly bad fire season? Well, there is no season anymore... its year-round.

After moving to CA in the 90s, fires became expected. Sometime around September, we'd start hoping for seasonal rains to begin in October. In dry autumns, there'd be fires up in the wooded Sierra and foothills. Rarely were residential neighborhoods affected.

I can recall other, more recent news graphics showing dozens of fires on a California map. But I don't remember a time that there were so many out of control. I dont remember homes - entire neighborhoods - burning with such frequency. And at present, containment doesn't seem hopefully near for many. Several new fires broke out around Napa in the past 36 hours. The fires near Redding are blowing up. They just reported that 10,000 fire fighters are working the fires; more are needed.

And its still July.

Sunday morning. Reading, watching news. The many CA fires seem to dominate the stories.

I find myself wondering: are the stories getting more attention? Or, is my gut-feeling accurate, is this a particularly bad fire season? Well, there is no season anymore... its year-round.

After moving to CA in the 90s, fires became expected. Sometime around September, we'd start hoping for seasonal rains to begin in October. In dry autumns, there'd be fires up in the wooded Sierra and foothills. Rarely were residential neighborhoods affected.

I can recall other, more recent news graphics showing dozens of fires on a California map. But I don't remember a time that there were so many out of control. I dont remember homes - entire neighborhoods - burning with such frequency. And at present, containment doesn't seem hopefully near for many. Several new fires broke out around Napa in the past 36 hours. The fires near Redding are blowing up. They just reported that 10,000 fire fighters are working the fires; more are needed.

And its still July.

I have a sister in Redding..family and dogs were evacuated last Thursday or Friday and is currently unsure of her homes status :(

• 3 weeks later...
IT'S FUCKING HOT!!!!!

This city is suggesting residents cool it with the sex.

The health secretary of Santa Marta, Julio Salas, advised locals to abstain from sex to stay cool during an intense heat wave, according to Colombia Reports.

Santa Marta, a popular tourist destination on the coast of Colombia, has seen temperatures rise higher than 104 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the Associated Press. Recently, medical facilities in the coastal city have been flooded with patients complaining of heat stroke symptoms, the AP reported.

For those who cannot contain their sexual urges, Salas says they should wait until night when the temperature is lower, SkyNews reported.

“If you have a good air conditioning, there is no problem,” he added.

Salas issued the advice as part of a list of other recommendations for combating the heat wave, include taking cold showers, staying hydrated, and avoiding prolonged exposure to the sun.

Global warming perchance?

Heat is hitting high records all over the planet.

But it's a dry heat. I always hated when that was said. High 90's and above, are just hot... AC has been getting a work out.

Santa Marta, a popular tourist destination on the coast of Colombia, has seen temperatures rise higher than 104 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the Associated Press.

Coming so soon after the flurry of conversation on the metric system (of which I had said I was done, but oh well), I had to laugh at this. Saying 'over 40°C' means 'hot', and makes a general point about temperatures in the 40s. Using 'over 104°F' makes it about that specific temperature in a way that the original didn't. When we converted to the metric system, a topic of note was soft versus hard conversions. A hard conversion is where you write 'add 226.8g of butter' in a recipe when you meant half a pound, a soft conversion would be to use 250g (a quarter of a kg) and adjust proportions of other ingredients to match. I always find it amusing when news items cite ridiculously precise measurements of things because they have made a hard conversion, and it's just as amusing whether that conversion is to or from SI.