IT'S FUCKING HOT!!!!!

Epigonos
This topic is 2108 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Get into a lukewarm shower, then gradually increase the cold water so your system isn't shocked by a rush of cold water, and keep increasing it slowly until it gets as cold as you can take. After the shower, let yourself air-dry. You'll feel much cooler & it lasts a while.

Edited by samhexum

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two totally, politically opposite, lobbying groups, in California, have created many of the problems we currently face regarding water shortage and wild fires.

The environment lobby has, for the last thirty-five, successfully prevented the building of any major dams for water retention. They have also lobbied long and hard to dismantle some already existing reservoirs such as Hetch Hitchy. They have qualified ballot initiatives twice to destroy Hetch Hitchy. On both occasions Senator Feinstein and then Senator Boxer opposed the initiatives and they lost. That is fortunate because Hetch Hitchy provided approximately 85% of the water needs of San Francisco. This lobby is now turning to the courts in their attempt to destroy Hetch Hitchy. Thus each year much of California's rain water run off into the Pacific Ocean.

In the past local jurisdictions insisted that there be large open buffer areas between housing and commercial developments and high fire scrub and timbered areas. Over the last thirty years developers and builders have lobbied local county boards of supervisors and city councils to shrink these buffer zones. They have been extremely successfully in changing zoning restrictions by making large contributions to the re-elections coffers of our local government politicians (prostitutes). Now numerous major housing and commercial developments in Southern California directly abut high fire danger areas. I never cease to be amazed why people would buy in these areas but they do and then later whine about the fact that their home were destroyed by fire. The problem in compounded in the foothills of Southern California because of the dual threat of fires in the summer and fall and mud slides in the winter and spring.

Fortunately I live, in the flat lands, with the rest of the peasants, and we are safe from these types of fires and mud slides.

I was in Sydney yesterday and it was 25 degrees (I must say that it was beautiful to be out on a ferry on the harbour the day before). In the three hours of my drive back to Canberra, the temperature dropped to 7 (with the help of a cold front and rain).

On the heat in north America, I read that many of the deaths in Montréal have been of single men in the higher floors of unairconditioned apartment buildings.

I am in Corrientes, close to the boundary between Argentina and Paraguay. Last week we had a couple of days at 28C, the lowest temperature has been 6C very early in the morning. Right now it is 5PM and it is 16C. We are supposed to be in the core of the local winter.

I am in Corrientes, close to the boundary between Argentina and Paraguay. Last week we had a couple of days at 28C, the lowest temperature has been 6C very early in the morning. Right now it is 5PM and it is 16C. We are supposed to be in the core of the local winter.

28C = 82.4F 6C = 42.8F 16C = 60.8F

Winter time in the Southern Hemisphere

Two totally, politically opposite, lobbying groups, in California, have created many of the problems we currently face regarding water shortage and wild fires.

The environment lobby has, for the last thirty-five, successfully prevented the building of any major dams for water retention. They have also lobbied long and hard to dismantle some already existing reservoirs such as Hetch Hitchy. They have qualified ballot initiatives twice to destroy Hetch Hitchy. On both occasions Senator Feinstein and then Senator Boxer opposed the initiatives and they lost. That is fortunate because Hetch Hitchy provided approximately 85% of the water needs of San Francisco. This lobby is now turning to the courts in their attempt to destroy Hetch Hitchy. Thus each year much of California's rain water run off into the Pacific Ocean.

In the past local jurisdictions insisted that there be large open buffer areas between housing and commercial developments and high fire scrub and timbered areas. Over the last thirty years developers and builders have lobbied local county boards of supervisors and city councils to shrink these buffer zones. They have been extremely successfully in changing zoning restrictions by making large contributions to the re-elections coffers of our local government politicians (prostitutes). Now numerous major housing and commercial developments in Southern California directly abut high fire danger areas. I never cease to be amazed why people would buy in these areas but they do and then later whine about the fact that their home were destroyed by fire. The problem in compounded in the foothills of Southern California because of the dual threat of fires in the summer and fall and mud slides in the winter and spring.

Fortunately I live, in the flat lands, with the rest of the peasants, and we are safe from these types of fires and mud slides.

I also live in flats. But then... so did the homeowners in Santa Rosa.

The dam, reservoir, conservation issue is frustrating.

The awareness that, when we finally get much needed rain, like winter 2016-17... vast majority of it simply runs through the watershed out to sea is beyond exasperating. And then, add in that the juicy warm storms melt the snowpack on which we rely.... its absurd.

But, I shouldnt lament too much.... for these hot days are also "earthquake weather"... and who knows... maybe theres no such thing as natural phenomena, and everything is caused by Twitter, Facebook and other social media.

Get into a lukewarm shower, then gradually increase the cold water so your system isn't shocked by a rush of cold water, and keep increasing it slowly until it gets as cold as you can take. After the shower, let yourself air-dry. You'll feel much cooler & it lasts a while.

I did this. My doggie and I retreated to the tub to cool off with a soak. We do not have AC and normally don't need it.

28C = 82.4F 6C = 42.8F 16C = 60.8F

Winter time in the Southern Hemisphere

Consider that I am close to the Tropic of Capricorn, so the weather here is subtropical. But I can tell it is hotter than 20 years ago.

Buenos Aires is probably going to be significantly cooler.

Remember that the big cities in that you hear about in the southern hemisphere like Cape Town, Perth, Sydney, Santiago and Buenos Aires are less than 35ºS, that's about the same as the middle of the Carolinas or Los Angeles. Corrientes is about the same level as central Florida. Most of the land masses in the southern hemisphere are much closer to the tropics than those in the northern hemisphere, so the winter temperatures of places that Americans might think of as being similar to where they are will be warmer, and that's before you factor in the chilling effects of a continental climate and arctic vortices. (BsAs was 12º or 54ºF and raining when I looked at about 10am local time yesterday, so much cooler than Corrientes.)

Edited: The cities I listed are further north than I remembered so the equivalent is more like SC/GA.

Edited by mike carey

Ive never looked for documentation or scientific proof.... but.... High school physics, and personal experience:

Its often more effective to point a fan out a window, rather than in, to cool a room. A fan blowing on you will feel good, as it evaporates your perspiration.... but its really not cooling. If you can get a cross-breeze, or pull in cooler air from other parts of the home, point the fan out.

The only benefit of oscillation is a breeze hitting multiple room occupants, so that they perceive relief. In general, oscillating fans "pressurize" a room, resulting in diminished air-exchanges; the room gets hotter. Just point the fan and run it, creating a current that moves air through the room.

Seems counter-intuitive, and its likely situational to rooms' physical specifics. But its worked for me.

I'm sure this has all been studied ad nauseum. But evaporating sweat is one thing that cools you. And then there is the way that a fan blows away the heat we generate that is radiating off of us assuming the air surrounding us is cooler than our body temperature.

Gman

On Friday, it was 119 here in Palm Springs. At night, long after dark, it was still 106. When I took the dog out to do his business, he looked around, said no thanks, and went back inside. During the day, I have to carry him to a neighbor's beautiful lawn and put him down on the grass in the shade of a tree to get him to do anything, then carry him home again.

This morning I started playing tennis at 7:30; we normally play till 9:30, but at 8:50 the temperature on court was 101, so we decided to quit. We had reservations for dinner this evening on the outside patio of a local restaurant, but I called and asked them to change the reservation to a table indoors, because the temperature at dinnertime is supposed to be 108.

On Friday, it was 119 here in Palm Springs. At night, long after dark, it was still 106. When I took the dog out to do his business, he looked around, said no thanks, and went back inside. During the day, I have to carry him to a neighbor's beautiful lawn and put him down on the grass in the shade of a tree to get him to do anything, then carry him home again.

This morning I started playing tennis at 7:30; we normally play till 9:30, but at 8:50 the temperature on court was 101, so we decided to quit. We had reservations for dinner this evening on the outside patio of a local restaurant, but I called and asked them to change the reservation to a table indoors, because the temperature at dinnertime is supposed to be 108.

LA wasn't much better. 112 on Friday and the temperature was still 102 around 9:30 at night. Of coarse if you lived near the coast you suffered through none of that.

those of us who live in desert areas are used to low humidity and, as a result of that, wide swings between day- and night-time temperatures......"freeze at night, burn in the daytime" is a saying for some around here....

but our summer rains, exotically called "monsoons" by some, arrive in July and August and the resulting humidity keeps night-time temperatures high.....a few days ago, the actual low for the entire day was 94 degrees in Phoenix, a record "high low" for that date.......step outside in a typical residential neighborhood and one can hear the steady drone of air-conditioners all around, day and night.....

swimming pools help a lot if there is access to one......

22f8a9121b6bbae1a0f8ebb02670233b.jpg

those of us who live in desert areas are used to low humidity and, as a result of that, wide swings between day- and night-time temperatures......"freeze at night, burn in the daytime" is a saying for some around here...

Sadly, Phoenix does not cool off much at night. That 94 degrees in Phoenix occurred long after most folks were in bed. Additionally, we have bad pollution. Driving home from San Diego I stopped in El Centro (111 degrees) and Yuma (109). Had no difficulty breathing. Got home to Phoenix and was winded walking from my car to my apartment.

• 2 weeks later...

Heat wave exposes ancient structures across the UK

By James Rogers, Fox News

180718-cropmarks-british-isles-feature.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1

Crop marks of a large prehistoric enclosure in the Vale of Glamorgan, with the faint footings of a probable Roman villa within.

The current heat wave in the British Isles has revealed a host of long-hidden historical sites that have suddenly become visible through the parched earth.

In Wales, for example, a number of archaeological sites have suddenly appeared in fields of ripening crops and rain-starved grassland. Viewed from the air, prehistoric enclosures, Roman buildings and ancient cemeteries have become visible across the country.

“This is an exceptional drought, the like of which Wales hasn’t seen for 40 years,” Dr. Toby Driver, senior aerial investigator for the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales, told Fox News via email. “In a normal summer hunting for cropmarks from a light aircraft, different regions of Wales show more marks than others. In 2018, the entire country from north to south is showing incredible new archaeological sites.”

Experts, however, have to work quickly. “The urgent work is now: taking the air photos before the rain washes away the drought,” Driver explained. “The most important discoveries are then circulated quickly to experts in Wales for their opinion, while the new photographs are carefully organized and permanently archived.”

The eerie outlines of long-vanished structures and monuments are showing up across the British Isles. In Lancashire in northern England, for example, a “ghost garden” has appeared in the grounds of Gawthorpe Hall, which dates back to the 17th century.

Dh0D39hXkAEkntP?format=jpg&name=360x360Dh0D4ZUXUAAEzuS?format=jpg&name=360x360Dh0D4wKXkAE4LAc?format=jpg&name=360x360

Lancashire County Council

✔@LancashireCC

Amazing ghost garden revealed at #Gawthorpe Hall . Visit before it rains! http://fal.cn/ylkU

As a result of the drought, and various types of soil drying at different rates, the layout of an Italianate-style garden has emerged at the front of the hall, which has been dubbed the “Downton of the North.”

The garden, redesigned in the 1850s, was removed in 1946, according to the Lancashire County Council. “The recent hot weather has certainly unveiled an historic gem,” Lancashire County Councillor Peter Buckley said in a statement.

Other sites visible in England include a “phantom mansion” in Nottinghamshire and the outline of a World War II airfield in Hampshire, the BBC reports.

In Ireland, aerial footage taken by a drone showed the remains of a previously unknown “henge” or enclosure, at Brú Na Bóinne, a World Heritage site in County Meath.

The find was described as “simply unparalleled” by Irish Government Minister Josepha Madigan, the Irish Times reports. In another project at Brú Na Bóinne, archaeologists recently discovered an incredible 5,500-year-old tomb.

Heat wave exposes ancient structures across the UK

By James Rogers, Fox News

180718-cropmarks-british-isles-feature.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1

Crop marks of a large prehistoric enclosure in the Vale of Glamorgan, with the faint footings of a probable Roman villa within.

The current heat wave in the British Isles has revealed a host of long-hidden historical sites that have suddenly become visible through the parched earth.

In Wales, for example, a number of archaeological sites have suddenly appeared in fields of ripening crops and rain-starved grassland. Viewed from the air, prehistoric enclosures, Roman buildings and ancient cemeteries have become visible across the country.

“This is an exceptional drought, the like of which Wales hasn’t seen for 40 years,” Dr. Toby Driver, senior aerial investigator for the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales, told Fox News via email. “In a normal summer hunting for cropmarks from a light aircraft, different regions of Wales show more marks than others. In 2018, the entire country from north to south is showing incredible new archaeological sites.”

Experts, however, have to work quickly. “The urgent work is now: taking the air photos before the rain washes away the drought,” Driver explained. “The most important discoveries are then circulated quickly to experts in Wales for their opinion, while the new photographs are carefully organized and permanently archived.”

The eerie outlines of long-vanished structures and monuments are showing up across the British Isles. In Lancashire in northern England, for example, a “ghost garden” has appeared in the grounds of Gawthorpe Hall, which dates back to the 17th century.

Dh0D39hXkAEkntP?format=jpg&name=360x360Dh0D4ZUXUAAEzuS?format=jpg&name=360x360

Lancashire County Council

✔@LancashireCC

Amazing ghost garden revealed at #Gawthorpe Hall . Visit before it rains! http://fal.cn/ylkU

As a result of the drought, and various types of soil drying at different rates, the layout of an Italianate-style garden has emerged at the front of the hall, which has been dubbed the “Downton of the North.”

The garden, redesigned in the 1850s, was removed in 1946, according to the Lancashire County Council. “The recent hot weather has certainly unveiled an historic gem,” Lancashire County Councillor Peter Buckley said in a statement.

Other sites visible in England include a “phantom mansion” in Nottinghamshire and the outline of a World War II airfield in Hampshire, the BBC reports.

In Ireland, aerial footage taken by a drone showed the remains of a previously unknown “henge” or enclosure, at Brú Na Bóinne, a World Heritage site in County Meath.

The find was described as “simply unparalleled” by Irish Government Minister Josepha Madigan, the Irish Times reports. In another project at Brú Na Bóinne, archaeologists recently discovered an incredible 5,500-year-old tomb.

Fascinating! Thank-you!

Today I didn't have to use the oven to make dinner. Simply put a pork chop on the balcony and had dinner in an hour. Tomorrow, I am making a roast.

When I hear things like this, I'm happy to put up with a Midwest winter to have anywhere from a nice to a tolerable summer.