IT'S FUCKING HOT!!!!!

Epigonos
This topic is 2108 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Northern Orange County, California where the temperature seldom goes over 90. Right now it is 113 with 12% humidity. I have a friend who lives in West Covina were it is 117 or 2 degrees hotter than Palm Springs at 115. We are total whimps here thus we are dying

The current heat snap is a major health warning and a big concern for fires.

http://abc7.com/weather/scorching-heat-triggers-red-flag-excessive-heat-warnings-across-socal/3717228/

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/07/06/fire-danger-rises-on-heat-waves-hottest-day-in-southern-california/

We've been very grateful for the shade we installed over our pool earlier this year. I turned down the temp on the water heater, and the pool is wonderfully cooling.

But it's a dry heat.

I always hated when that was said. High 90's and above, are just hot.

Unfortunately, we've been getting 3-4 day stretches with high humidity on top of 90+ degree days here in Chicago.

AC has been getting a work out.

I'm glad you have a/c. Sometimes I hear about deaths in Chicago caused by the heat.

Yes, there have been some brutal summers on occasion. In in summer of '95, there were over 700 deaths.

Horrible! The government has regulations about when the weather is cold but I don't think they do when it is hot.

When it gets bad, city opens "cooling stations". Public buildings were people can go. Don't know when or if they are open 24 hours.

Good! I hope there is transportation help to get people there. I don't know which is worse the heat or the cold. Just as long as power stays on.

I can't remember the year now but it was in early December. Terrific wind, rain storm. The power went off for 24 hours. - 6AM to 6AM .Cold! They set up a warming center at the Veteran's Hall. I went. I was the only person who was there (other than the staff).

During the 1950's here in Southern California, when I was a kid, the summers were brutal but it hasn't been hot like that for years until this current heat wave. What really blows my mind is that in those day air conditioning didn't exist but somehow we managed. I can't imagine life today without air conditioning. I went for a number of years without home heating which really wasn't a problem because it simply doesn't get that cold here. On the co0ler days I just put on a sweater. To this day I'm not fond of indoor heating as it tends to dry everything out.

I live in Northern Orange County, California where the temperature seldom goes over 90. Right now it is 113 with 12% humidity.

Hot in the Northeast too. I live near the south coast where it's usually cool but this week it was 92, no wind, and a dew point of 77. I have experienced dry heat and humid heat and I'll take dry heat anytime. No A/C - almost never needed here.

As if they don't have enough problems, Yemen is in an extended heat wave worse than us. Whole parts of the globe close to the equator could become uninhabitable.

http://scd.observers.france24.com/files/imagecache/1024x576/article_images/yemen-teaser_1.jpg

I think it was Aristotle who thought it would get hotter the further one traveled south (from a Northern Hemisphere perspective) and that there would be a point at which it would be too hot to live.

Heat is hitting high records all over the planet. I am glad I am in the Southern Hemisphere right now.

I was in Sydney yesterday and it was 25 degrees (I must say that it was beautiful to be out on a ferry on the harbour the day before). In the three hours of my drive back to Canberra, the temperature dropped to 7 (with the help of a cold front and rain).

On the heat in north America, I read that many of the deaths in Montréal have been of single men in the higher floors of unairconditioned apartment buildings.

But it's a dry heat.

I always hated when that was said. High 90's and above, are just hot.

Unfortunately, we've been getting 3-4 day stretches with high humidity on top of 90+ degree days here in Chicago.

AC has been getting a work out.

I beg to differ. I live in New Jersey and am a frequent Vegas visitor. The humidity makes a huge difference 90 in Vegas is no problem. 90 in Jersey is like 105+ in Vegas. When it's humid your sweat doesn't evaporate so it doesn't cool you.

So far, fingers crossed, we arent having horrific heat in Northern California this summer. So far. It'll be 98-100° today here in the inland burbs, the highest of the week. We frequently top 100 during summer

The microclimates of the San Francisco Bay Area still fascinate me... 25+ years after moving here. 21 miles away, towards the Pacific, SF will be 72°.

In my years in CA, fire season seems to come earlier every year. In my first decade in CA, fire season was a few months, end of Summer, until rains. Sept & Oct. The West is burning right now. Fire season is almost all year round.

There's a big fire burning about 1 hour north of the Bay Area. A little more than a week-old, its 48% contained. There's a bizarre disbelief when you step outside and cars are covered in ash carried that far. The smell of smoke is pervasive. Skies were orange for a few days. The cycle will continue for the next several months.

Good thoughts to @Epigonos and other members in SoCal... where current conditions and fires look particularly brutal.

socal.jpg?w=640

Edited by LaffingBear

It’s 59 at the moment with a forecasted high of 70 here in the coastal part of Washington north of Seattle. We’ve been having lovely cool weather!

Do you, @Pensant remember about 4 or 5 years back when we had that two days of 103-104 weather? I didn't have any a/c, as many in Washington don't, and no ceiling fans either. I was basically lying on my bed (in a bedroom made even hotter by being upstairs), spread eagle, and in my undies (I know it's a horrible mental image, and I apologize) with an oscillating fan and a box fan blowing directly on me. Even when it wasn't that hot in Washington state it could get humid and still. One of the things I missed most about Texas when living in Washington was a/c.

However last Sunday in the Dallas area it was 102. The humidity was 31%, and the heat index was 107. All I kept thinking was I can't understand why all those people in Westeros are so afraid of Winter coming. :p

jon_snow_and_ghost__winter_is_coming_by_ysydora-dav2f65.jpg

(Thank gosh we got some rain yesterday. The temperature actually went down to 78 in the late afternoon. )

Gman

Do you, @Pensant remember about 4 or 5 years back when we had that two days of 103-104 weather? I didn't have any a/c, as many in Washington don't, and no ceiling fans either. I was basically lying on my bed (in a bedroom made even hotter by being upstairs), spread eagle, and in my undies (I know it's a horrible mental image, and I apologize) with an oscillating fan and a box fan blowing directly on me. Even when it wasn't that hot in Washington state it could get humid and still. One of the things I missed most about Texas when living in Washington was a/c.

However last Sunday in the Dallas area it was 102. The humidity was 31%, and the heat index was 107. All I kept thinking was I can't understand why all those people in Westeros are so afraid of Winter coming. :p

jon_snow_and_ghost__winter_is_coming_by_ysydora-dav2f65.jpg

(Thank gosh we got some rain yesterday. The temperature actually went down to 78 in the late afternoon. )

Gman

I bought the island house in 2015, so I don’t remember that.

with an oscillating fan and a box fan blowing directly on me

Ive never looked for documentation or scientific proof.... but.... High school physics, and personal experience:

Its often more effective to point a fan out a window, rather than in, to cool a room. A fan blowing on you will feel good, as it evaporates your perspiration.... but its really not cooling. If you can get a cross-breeze, or pull in cooler air from other parts of the home, point the fan out.

The only benefit of oscillation is a breeze hitting multiple room occupants, so that they perceive relief. In general, oscillating fans "pressurize" a room, resulting in diminished air-exchanges; the room gets hotter. Just point the fan and run it, creating a current that moves air through the room.

Seems counter-intuitive, and its likely situational to rooms' physical specifics. But its worked for me.