What do your nieces & nephews call you?

samhexum
This topic is 2158 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Ever since I was a young'n, I told my sister I would NOT be Uncle Sam if she ever had kids.

It took her a long time to find the right guy... She had her first kid at 37+, & her second 3 1/2 years later... ironically, the exact same timetable as our mother.

I was pleasantly surprised when I was with her one day during the first pregnancy... she started talking to her belly, and introduced me to the baby as Tio Sam (we're English-speaking Jews). Both my nephew & niece grew up calling me Tio Sam.

They're both in college now, and they still call me Tio Sam. I'm still not sure if they actually realize I'm their uncle. (I didn't say they were in good colleges. ;):cool::D:rolleyes:)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose 'Auntie' was out of the question...

LOL I was only six years old at the time. My sister got married the month after she turned 16. And she was not pregnant. Her first child (my niece) was not born until one year later. My mother was 39 when she became a grandmother and she loved it! People telling her that she looked too young to be a grandmother.

I was the ring bearer. The groom's niece was the flower girl. As we were walking up the aisle she fell. I didn't know what to do so I just walked on.

They all call me "Uncle".

My mother's father was one of 17 kids, he being the oldest. She had an aunt who was a little less than a year younger than her. They grew up together, She always referred to her by first name only. A daughter of one of her uncles (making her a cousin), was as old as us kids, so referred to my mother as "Auntie"

Edited by bashful

My sister got married the month after she turned 16. And she was not pregnant. Her first child (my niece) was not born until one year later.

Are you sure? How heavy was your sister? Does she have a big nose & tusks growing out of her face? Elephants have the longest gestation period of all mammals. These gentle giants' pregnancies last for more than a year and a half.

I was the ring bearer. The groom's niece was the flower girl. As we were walking up the aisle she fell.

Drunk again, huh?

My mother's father was one of 17 kids, him being the oldest. She had an aunt who was a little less than a year younger than her. They grew up together, She always referred to her by first name only. A daughter of one of her uncles (making her a cousin), was as old as us kids, so referred to my mother as "Auntie"

Didn't they have a show on TLC?

Just my name. I wanted to be called "Uncle" but my sister would not allow it. I'm only six years older than my oldest niece.

My Grandfather's older brother was just about the same age as his aunt. Mother and Daughter were pregnant at the same time (by different father's of course). My great-grandmother was 17 at the time and very happy to be out of her parents home ....

I have I have 7 nieces and nephews 13 great nieces and nephews and 2 great grand nieces. I get all different manner or address. One thing they do not call me is on the phone. I have never received a phone call from any of them, for any reason. And that my fellow posters, is why they will not be getting a call when my will is read. On my late wife's side, I have 3 nieces and nephews and 2 great nieces. As it turns out, I am just minimally closer to this group and i get a bit more attention but ultimately, they too will have the day free on the day of the will reading. I have four godchildren. Three of them refer to me as Padrino, all of them will have an invite to the reading. One has not spoke to me in years despite yearly birthday presents and assorted graduation gifts. He has two children, who I have never seen. Again, he has the day free.

I have no nieces or nephews of my own, but my partner has four middle-aged nieces and a nephew, all of whom call him Uncle Joe. We have been together since before any of them were born, so they have known me all their lives. Three of the nieces still call me Charlie, but since our marriage, one niece and the nephew call me Uncle Charlie.

I have no nieces or nephews of my own, but my partner has four middle-aged nieces and a nephew, all of whom call him Uncle Joe. We have been together since before any of them were born, so they have known me all their lives. Three of the nieces still call me Charlie, but since our marriage, one niece and the nephew call me Uncle Charlie.

That's nice!

I have I have 7 nieces and nephews 13 great nieces and nephews and 2 great grand nieces. I get all different manner or address. One thing they do not call me is on the phone. I have never received a phone call from any of them, for any reason. And that my fellow posters, is why they will not be getting a call when my will is read. On my late wife's side, I have 3 nieces and nephews and 2 great nieces. As it turns out, I am just minimally closer to this group and i get a bit more attention but ultimately, they too will have the day free on the day of the will reading. I have four godchildren. Three of them refer to me as Padrino, all of them will have an invite to the reading. One has not spoke to me in years despite yearly birthday presents and assorted graduation gifts. He has two children, who I have never seen. Again, he has the day free.

If you give me your number, I'll call you. Will you put me in your will? I'll even send you birthday & Christmas cards! ;):cool::p:rolleyes:

PLEASE, Padrino?

My sister, my only sibling, and her hubby had 1 girl (the oldest) and 3 boys. They were brought up to call me 'Uncle Tru,' but around the time my oldest nephew became 15 or 16, he began calling me just by my first name, 'Tru,' and before long all three of his siblings dropped the Uncle too. I felt after the first few times that it just seemed right, as my oldest nephew and I were very close, much more like buddies than uncle/nephew, and don't go having dirty thoughts, there was never any sexual element in there.

Later, after they were all grown up and got married, their spouses all know me by and call me by only my first name also. They are having families now themselves (1 great-nephew and 4 great-nieces so far!) with the oldest only 4 years old, so I am back to 'Uncle Tru' again with the next generation! :rolleyes::);)

TruHart1 :cool:

Edited by TruHart1