Marketing Phone Calls

imagooddog

These calls are happening more and more. My caller id will not have person or company indicated, only

a number. If I answer it is usually a recording. If I call back the number that was displayed it will usually

get a recording that the number is not a working number. I even have received a call that the person

calling was MY name and My number and was calling me. How are they doing all this? If it is not

a number or name I know or a call i am expecting I just do not answer anymore.

Edited by imagooddog

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These calls are happening more and more. My caller id will not have person or company indicated, only

a number. If I answer it is usually a recording. If I call back the number that was displayed it will usually

get a recording that the number is not a working number. I even have received a call that the person

calling was MY name and My number and was calling me. How are they doing all this?

Yes, these robocalls are picking up in volume. You can file a complaint with the FTC, but don't expect much to come from it. I use nomorobo.com to minimize the calls I get. Both my mobile and home phones are signed up. I believe it is still free to sign up. If you find a way to sic Alexa on 'em, let me know - let the robots fight the robots!! ;)

http://www.bluestemprairie.com/.a/6a00d834516a0869e2014e8a81afca970d-300wi

My phone bill over the years kept going up and up yet I make very few telephone calls. My local internet provider several years ago began offering phone service. I now pay $3.95 per month for 100 minutes. There is a charge for going over but I doubt that I've ever gone over.

I only have a landline. The phone is in the kitchen and it rings four times before the answering machine picks up. There is no way that I can get to the phone from the living room to the kitchen in time to answer. But somehow the system is able to monitor spam calls. Sometimes the phone will only ring once or twice and stop. Sometimes it will ring four times and the answering machine picks up but then clicks off.

However political calls are not considered spam. I kept getting calls from my Congressman. It took several calls and emails to his office but they finally stopped.

that tell-tale two or three seconds of silence (with a quiet click or two) after I say "hello" before somebody starts talking always indicates a marketing cold call, of course......obviously, the auto-call computer is telling the marketer my name after I pick up so I can receive a "friendly" greeting.....

remember signing up for that "do not call" list that was much-heralded several years ago by the government after the legislature finally set up marketing call rules??.....seems like a quaint remnant of yesteryear, doesn't it??!!

Practical reaction: its part of the world we live in... just don't answer.

If you try ignoring, but caller ID shows same exact number multiple times... block the number. There are ways to block numbers on landlines and cellphones.

Mostly, just live with it.

Passive-aggressive reactions: hey, we all gotta vent a little somewhere...

If its a robot.... let loose with an insane stream of invective. Call the robot by every vile, offensive word imaginable. When I do this, its so absurd, I laugh out loud within 2-3 seconds.

If its a live caller, I use a version of the Seinfeld response: "I'm very interested in talking to you. What is your home phone number and the time you sit down to dinner each night, so that I can call you back?"

Just put the handset down next to your TV, walk away, and let them listen until they tire and hang up. After a few times you may even get lucky and they might remove you from their call list as being a time waster. They waste your time - you waste theirs.

calling was MY name and My number and was calling me. How are they doing all this? If it is not

a number or name I know or a call i am expecting I just do not answer anymore.

I highly recommend https://www.nomorobo.com/

It works very well.

For mobile phones I have had great results with the app "Hiya". There's a free and premium version. It also intercepts telemarketing calls. (it's also very handy in finding details about numbers beyond the usual caller-id info and usually turns up a name when the other apps don't.)

T-Mobile is pretty good at identifying spam callers. It shows up as a red screen. But sometimes I do answer, I subscribe to JollyRogers for $6/yr. I answer the phone, ask them to wait and then I conference call into jolly Rogers. The solicitor ends up talking to a robot, sometime they figure it out quickly. And I can put it on mute so I can go about my business while they interact with he bot. I then get an email of the conversation. You can YouTube jolly Rogers for some entertaining ones.

Showing my age but before the computers started calling, before caller ID, and before cell phones, my wife answered a telemarketer call - I walked up behind her and started yelling "If you buy one more f***ing thing I'm going to kick your ass out of this house". The caller hung up and we had a good laugh over it!

The DoNotCall list has not kept up technology. I was surprised when I started getting voicemail messages (a recorded robotic voice) that went straight to voicemail on my cell phone. Phone never rang, and call (or number) never appeared on my call logs. It's a new tech referred to as a voicemail drop, or something like that. The message said they were a debt collector. Of course, I never called them back, and after about a month of those, they finally stopped.

I highly recommend https://www.nomorobo.com/

It works very well.

For mobile phones I have had great results with the app "Hiya". There's a free and premium version. It also intercepts telemarketing calls. (it's also very handy in finding details about numbers beyond the usual caller-id info and usually turns up a name when the other apps don't.)

This! I’ve had it a few months and it helps

Lately I get a lot of calls from IDs like "unknown name" or "invalid number" (whatever that means). Sometimes it just says "wireless caller" or "toll free number." I also get a lot of calls that give the supposed location rather than the identity of the caller, and I don't answer if I don't know anyone in that place. My area code covers a very large geographical area, and apparently a lot of scammers get numbers in small towns within it. I have my voicemail set to start after six rings, because most professional callers for organizations or robocallers hang up if I don't answer after four rings. Legitimate callers will normally stay for the full six rings and then leave a message. The one thing I don't do is answer and engage the undesirable caller in any way, because it just lets them know that mine is an active number.

The latest wrinkle (at least for me) is the call shows up with a number close to my own. I ignore it. Another call comes in from a slightly different number. After the third call, they stop for a few days.

My dad dealt with telemarketers by engaging them in conversation. After about twenty minutes they would hang up never to call again.

The latest wrinkle (at least for me) is the call shows up with a number close to my own. I ignore it. Another call comes in from a slightly different number. After the third call, they stop for a few days.

I’d started getting allot of these that spoof a number a few digits different from mine. It was confusing at first... The HIYA app now grabs these.

The new method telemarketers use is to face a number in an exchange (the 3 digits after the area code) near yours. The idea is that you will more likely pick up for a number the next town (or block, depending) than from half way across the country. They are spoofed numbers, as there is not an account tied to them - meaning no actual cell phone, home, or business.

Sadly, the Do Not Call list works more if there are other charges, and doesn't apply to calls generated out of the country. With modern technology, many of these call centers are foreign, and not where that law can impose any sanctions.

The new method telemarketers use is to face a number in an exchange (the 3 digits after the area code) near yours. The idea is that you will more likely pick up for a number the next town (or block, depending) than from half way across the country. They are spoofed numbers, as there is not an account tied to them - meaning no actual cell phone, home, or business.

Yep, when I see a number like this on my mobile, I know it's a spam call.

The DoNotCall list has not kept up technology. I was surprised when I started getting voicemail messages (a recorded robotic voice) that went straight to voicemail on my cell phone. Phone never rang, and call (or number) never appeared on my call logs. It's a new tech referred to as a voicemail drop, or something like that. The message said they were a debt collector. Of course, I never called them back, and after about a month of those, they finally stopped.

A lot of agencies use that technology as an attempt to get around the TCPA rules. Another annoying tactic is calling your mobile with a number that looks a lot like yours. I read recently that a Florida-based outfit (where else?) was fined a multimillion dollar amount for making these spoof calls.

A lot of agencies use that technology as an attempt to get around the TCPA rules. Another annoying tactic is calling your mobile with a number that looks a lot like yours. I read recently that a Florida-based outfit (where else?) was fined a multimillion dollar amount for making these spoof calls.

I've been getting a lot of calls that look like mine to both my land line, and cell. To each phone, the caller ID is from the same area code, and first 3 numbers of each phone, with the only difference being the last 4 numbers.

• 2 months later...

I mostly use a landline (I have a cell phone but because I am techno-childish never use it). I only answer those calls that are identified with names I wish to speak with. If for some reason I make a mistake and I get connected I say that I am not me and that I am in India. Unfortunately I am in India and will get back in four months if they wish to call back. No I won't take a message.

• 2 years later...

What was the worst job you ever had?

Telemarketer for a phony charity.

Showing my age but before the computers started calling, before caller ID, and before cell phones, my wife answered a telemarketer call - I walked up behind her and started yelling "If you buy one more f***ing thing I'm going to kick your ass out of this house". The caller hung up and we had a good laugh over it!

If it's a telemarketer (from an organization other than one your partner supports), I simply answer "Please put me on your Do Not Call List" and hang up.

AT&T has an app named “Call Protect” that blocks spam callers and Caller ID’s telemarketing calls as “telemarketer”

2068785.jpg

What was the worst job you ever had?

Telemarketer for a phony charity.

If it's a telemarketer (from an organization other than one your partner supports), I simply answer "Please put me on your Do Not Call List" and hang up.

AT&T has an app named “Call Protect” that blocks spam callers and Caller ID’s telemarketing calls as “telemarketer”

FCC enforces largest fine ever of $225 million against telemarketers who made 1 billion robocalls

The Federal Communications Commission issued its largest ever fine of $225 million to Texas telemarketers who sent about 1 billion robocalls falsely claiming to sell health insurance for Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield and other companies.

John Spiller and Jakob Mears, who did business under the names Rising Eagle and JSquared Telecom, faced the fine, proposed in June 2020 by the FCC, for massive spamming of spoofed robocalls in the U.S. in 2019. Spoofed calls have a false caller ID that makes them appear to come from a nearby location.

Consumers would be asked if they were interested in "affordable health insurance with benefits from a company you know?" and companies including Aetna, Cigna, Blue Cross Blue Shield and United HealthCare were mentioned.

If they pressed 3 to get an agent, the consumer would be transferred to a call center unaffiliated with any of those insurers. One of the robocallers' largest clients, Health Advisors of America, was sued in 2019 by the the Missouri attorney general for telemarketing violations, the FCC says.

Spiller told the USTelecom Industry Traceback Group, a group authorized by the FCC to investigate robocalls, that he knowingly called consumers on the Do Not Call list, the FCC says. He told the group that his firm made millions of calls per day and that he was using spoofed numbers, the FCC said in its original fine proposal.

In addition to enforcing the agency's largest-ever fine, the FCC also issued several cease-and-desist orders against other robocallers and created a robocall response team.

“Unwanted robocalls are not only a nuisance, but they also pose a serious risk to consumers who can inadvertently share sensitive, personal information in response to bad actors’ malicious schemes," acting FCC Chairwoman Jessica Rosenworcel said in a statement. "I’m proud to unveil my first set of actions to put a renewed focus on what the FCC can do to combat the issue that we receive the most complaints about."

The cease-and-desist letters went to six firms charged with making or facilitating robocalls:

• RSCom of Canada, which was warned in May 2020 to cease making scam calls involving COVID-19, Social Security, the Internal Revenue Service, electric utilities and Apple Inc.
  • Stratics Networks of Canada for facilitating fraudulent calls about COVID-19, student loans, political campaigns, and discounts and upgrades for AT&T and DirecTV.
  • Yodel Technologies, a Florida provider, for facilitating fraudulent calls related to Social Security, health insurance, and debt reduction services.
  • Icon Global, a U.K.-based company, for facilitating robocalls that inundated the Washington, D.C., Metropolitan Police Department, as well as those falsely representing Apple and the Social Security Administration.
  • IDT Corporation of New Jersey, for transmitting, on behalf of clients, illegal robocalls about COVID-19 and health insurance, Social Security, fictional Amazon refunds, computer services, credit cards, and fraudulent calls threatening to disconnect utilities without payments.
  • Third Rock Telecom, of Canada, which is suspected of transmitting robocalls about fictional Apple/iCloud account breaches, Social Security scams, and credit card fraud.

A new Robocall Response Team, a group of 51 FCC staff members, will coordinate anti-robocall efforts. Rosenworcel also sent letters to the Federal Trade Commission, Justice Department, and the National Association of State Attorneys General about anti-robocall collaborative efforts.

"Today’s cease-and-desist letters should serve as a warning sign to other entities that believe the FCC has turned a blind eye to this issue," Rosenworcel said. "We certainly haven’t and we’re coming for you."

Tough talk from the FCC...hmmm. But yet, the calls continue. I’m very glad that, through the pandemic, there was someone who was concerned that the nonexistent extended warranty on my car was about to expire.

Then there’s the time i personally tracked a Canadian scamster crossing the border to collect money from my mother out of a P O Box in Champlain NY. Tracked him down and revealed so much personal information about him that I was turning over to the authorities that he accidentally refunded twice the amount he had scammed her out of with fake “identity theft insurance”. Even without the unintended windfall, it felt good to catch someone in their scam and possible take them out of commission.