Masseur best practices...

7829V

It's always struck me as bureaucracy out of control that is requires more hours training to get massage therapy certification than it does to get a commercial airplane pilot license.

Bureaucracy in service of lobbyists for massage schools, and the banks that provide student loans to pay for it. Credential inflation in much professional training is rampant and big bucks for the business of education.

I am no stranger to getting massages. So I feel I have some good points.I read many (not all of these posts) Some really good points. I know I already posted but wanted to share again. I'm sure many of these are already covered. Sorry if this list is long, but think it helps everyone.

- Be on time

- Proper music - perhaps ask the client if he has any preferences

- Ask client about pressure levels/areas to focus etc. If client gives info on this adhere to it - many times i have asked for specific areas of focus and pressure only to it not happening or barely

- Accurate pics and profile; nothing worse than someone being totally not what their pics are (if they are lying about that what else)

- Create an accurate profile avoiding CAPS LOCK and bad grammar

- When traveling know your market. Sure in NYC for example you may be able to get $180 but in another city you may not

- Many ads state perks/amenities (heated table, candles etc). I'm sure these justify their price. However when traveling and you don't have any of those (especially table) then consider that in your pricing

- Avoid text only. That just screams bad and not interested. I realize you get alot of calls but for clients (like me) I like to talk to someone up front to find out more, see if it will be a good fit etc. Masseurs that don't allow this I generally avoid.

- NO text or calls during massage

- NO bio breaks mid way through

- Avoid asking for money up front or "reservation"

- Be prepared for any sexual questions (I asked one guy if he is nude - he stated me asking that made him uncomfortable - WTF)

- Mean what you say and say what you do

- When traveling try to book hotels that are convenient for the client NOT you. Here in ATL it is so difficult to get downtown. I either have to take the train or pay large amounts of money to park. Also here in the ATL area staying near the airport is not a good idea. I have talked to many masseurs before their trip and made suggestions and offered to help in picking an area to stay

- Avoid back to back appointments. Sure its great that you are busy and making money. But if a client is late or something comes up it isn't fair to the next client

- Most pay cash but that often requires a trip to the ATM. Offer Venmo Cash App alternatives as an option (to pay at the end not before)

- Don't ask for a tip - thats just tacky

- Use proper amounts of lotion. Have had some that use SOO much lotion/oil I felt like I was going to slide off the table

- Provide proper ways to "clean up" after (i.e. towel vs. toilet paper)

- Avoid a menu of extras. I have had some text me a huge list of options and prices

- Avoid uncharging. If you advertise a rate and it says deep tissue don't say well that is extra

- Having a clean/tidy place is helpful. Sorry to gross you out with this but I had to use the bathroom before we started. The toilet was disgusting - as if a nuclear diarhea bomb went off

- Good communication is essential

- Respond to all calls or text. I get it if you are busy, but let the client know you are busy and will get back to them or unavailable etc.

- If a client takes the time to write a review (good or bad) respond back thanking them. But dont use the same cookie cutter response for all

- If therapeutic only avoid nude or suggestive pics - its just deceiving

- Back to rates, if you advertise some fancy amenities (which may justify the higher cost) but those are only available in your studio, then your travel fees should not reflect that

I'm sure I could come up with more, but think this is a good list. Again sorry for the long post.

Edited by BeefyDude

I work in a totally different field and I have clients as well. What I don’t understand is the lack of follow up by providers. If I don’t touch base with my clients on a regular basis they can easily go into the hands of my competitor and I lose them forever - especially in a market saturated with rivals.

I have yet had one masseur text saying if interested I’m around or similar. Im now in the clients role and I will go to someone else and they’ve lost a potential regular and a potential steady stream of income. Show interest in your clients and theres 90% chance they’ll come back to you.

I work in a totally different field and I have clients as well. What I don’t understand is the lack of follow up by providers. If I don’t touch base with my clients on a regular basis they can easily go into the hands of my competitor and I lose them forever - especially in a market saturated with rivals.

I have yet had one masseur text saying if interested I’m around or similar. Im now in the clients role and I will go to someone else and they’ve lost a potential regular and a potential steady stream of income. Show interest in your clients and theres 90% chance they’ll come back to you.

I always assumed the lack of follow up was for discretion. I’m not sure everyone would want random texts from providers.

If I see someone visiting my city and I want a repeat I explicitly tell him to let me know when he’s coming back. That usually works.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

All of this advice is great, especially about the high levels of professionalism required to do it properly. I’ve been doing sensual massage for 5 years now and am always learning new things about the work.

However the single most important tip I would give is to treat each client as if he is the most beautiful and sexy guy in the world for the time that he is with you. Give him your total focus, pay attention to how he reacts to your touch (everyone has different areas of their body that get them going - often unusual areas, so explore them) and treat him like he’s your hottest date regardless of any attraction you may or may not have. I learned that not every client is who I’d go for if it was a dating situation but there’s always something you can find that is attractive about him. Some of the most erotic and sexy massages have been with guys I’d not normally be attracted to.

You also need to decide what your limits are and stick to them. Only once did I have a client pressurise me into doing something I wasn’t happy doing and I decided after that to be really strict on what’s included and what isn’t. I do include fucking (as top) if the client wants it but I don’t charge extra for it because I say to them that it has to feel right for both of us. That way I’m not under pressure to perform if it’s the 4th client of the day for example. If they want me to bottom I do charge extra. I think it’s important to be clear in your offering what’s included (subject to any legal restrictions on what’s possible in your jurisdiction). And whilst the erotic and sexual parts of the massage are important don’t forget that you must give a great proper massage. Learn good effleurage strokes, learn head massage, have a speciality (head massage is good). Important to be a great masseur as well as able to bring a guy to climax.

Doing naked sensual massage is a fantastic job, meeting new people and helping them explore their sexuality. I’m glad I’ve been able to open up new experiences for my clients.

All of this advice is great, especially about the high levels of professionalism required to do it properly. I’ve been doing sensual massage for 5 years now and am always learning new things about the work.

However the single most important tip I would give is to treat each client as if he is the most beautiful and sexy guy in the world for the time that he is with you. Give him your total focus, pay attention to how he reacts to your touch (everyone has different areas of their body that get them going - often unusual areas, so explore them) and treat him like he’s your hottest date regardless of any attraction you may or may not have. I learned that not every client is who I’d go for if it was a dating situation but there’s always something you can find that is attractive about him. Some of the most erotic and sexy massages have been with guys I’d not normally be attracted to.

You also need to decide what your limits are and stick to them. Only once did I have a client pressurise me into doing something I wasn’t happy doing and I decided after that to be really strict on what’s included and what isn’t. I do include fucking (as top) if the client wants it but I don’t charge extra for it because I say to them that it has to feel right for both of us. That way I’m not under pressure to perform if it’s the 4th client of the day for example. If they want me to bottom I do charge extra. I think it’s important to be clear in your offering what’s included (subject to any legal restrictions on what’s possible in your jurisdiction). And whilst the erotic and sexual parts of the massage are important don’t forget that you must give a great proper massage. Learn good effleurage strokes, learn head massage, have a speciality (head massage is good). Important to be a great masseur as well as able to bring a guy to climax.

Doing naked sensual massage is a fantastic job, meeting new people and helping them explore their sexuality. I’m glad I’ve been able to open up new experiences for my clients.

I'm not sure where you are located, but if you were near me, I would definitely be coming to see you!

In line with not posting provocative/naked pictures:

If you are going to provide ONLY THERAPEUTIC, CHARGE AS SUCH! $60 to $100-$120 max depending on skills/added-value of your service.

Muscles or "good looks" (subjective) alone don't count at all if you're not providing erotic interaction or a happy ending at all.

I only hire guys who make it clear they will provide me with the above. In those cases, I'm willing to pay $120+ and up to $200 max for 1h.

If I wanted only therapeutic I could pay $70-$120 at a legit massage parlour for more than a massage table, oil, and a shower.

Edited by lonely_john

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Never ever ghost a client.  If you decide not to meet, decline or cancel the meeting. This is a business, most of us won’t take it personal. Your time is as valuable as our time. And we have many other options to choose from. 

Agree on the no baby oil (story in worst massage ever if you want more details lol)

Along the lines with travel rates that Beefydude referred to (assuming you meant traveling to other cities) outcalls also need to be priced realistically.

Case in point, an acquaintance I've never had a massage with before, but have hooked up with, charges $300 for an outcall. He had hit me up on an app a few months ago and we chat on and off, partnered guy (know the partner too) so more or less just chatting. I used to do massage, but have stopped in last couple years for personal reasons. He talked about doing a massage trade, or that he needed a massage and implied wanting a freebie with a hookup after. Nothing came of it.

I recently saw he posted an ad on RentMasseur, and when I brought up his outcall charge he said he charged that price because of the amount of time it takes to travel to the suburbs etc. I get it, I took travel time etc. into consideration with my outcall pricing before. I mentioned I needed a massage, and would prefer an outcall. We live about a mile away from each other, and I told him I had a table to use. His offer was to knock $50 off. Still like $100 more than an in-call. I don't expect the in-call price, but if the client can provide some of the equipment, and is practically walking distance, it seems exorbitant to charge more than ~$50 more than an in-call rate. 

Now a current, and former outcall massage guys charged no more than $150 a session. One of them only does outcalls and I think it was just a reasonable rate for him. 

Maybe I'm cheap and/or old thinking this, but I do find it annoying, especially from someone trying to arrange a freebie/trade from me. 

VersOral,  Thanks

I had one guy who wanted to charge $50 to come to me. He was maybe 3 miles away.  I was like WTF and passed.

Many ads talk about alot of amenities:  padded table, fresh towels, candles, music, etc etc   I get that there should be some form of price for that.  However if you are traveling you dont bring the candles, towels, table etc - so price should come down IMHO based on that appears to be the reason for the higher rate.

One masseur said he charged higher - to pay for his hotel. HMMM maybe if he better rates MORE people would visit thus easily pay his hotel.

But yeah I agree.  You are not being cheap, nor are you alone in thinking this.

Another issue with rates, anything really over $120 it becomes less and less of a massage.  I have seen many ads that offer therapeutic only but are upwards of $150+

Know your market, what you can charge in NYC may not be what you can charge in a small city/town

Rant mode Off LOL

• 1 year later...

If you have the green light to text a client, do so every now and then. Not to solicit business, just to say HI and to say... "have a good good day/weekend!". :)

In my case, when masseurs text me out of the blue, just solicit business I find it off putting....I feel like an ATM.  It's all about the connection and rapport you have with your client. Build a relationship and you won't have to solicit business...