Masseur best practices...

7829V

• 10 months later...

GOOD post and question...

WOW some really great suggestions to all that posted so far :) Agree with all.

I personally, and others perhaps, like to talk to the person first time just to see if there is a connection. So ads that say TEXT ONLY are annoying to someone like me. You don't have to spend hours on the phone - 5ish mins should work.

Going along with calls, many massuers (my experience and reading on here) don't get a reply to many texts. Hey if you are that good and or that booked, take the time to respond to someone and politely say you are booked and can't take appointments. Just some basic common courtesy

If someone takes the time to write a review, I really like those on RM who take the time to thank the reviewer. Its a nice touch and only takes a few moments.

As said ask about any special areas of focus. And if someone does give you that -do it. SOOOO many times I have been asked that and I have given them an area to focus (shoulders legs etc) and they barely tough them.

I think it was mentioned but if your massage is therapeutic only - 1) be up front about that 2) dont post revealing pic and 3) charge appropriately. One recently wanted $150 for a truly therapeutic massage WTH

• 11 months later...

When posting in public forums using your "masseur persona", keep the discussion lighthearted and positive. Do not complaint or attack. Do not be a troll.

If you need to complain or post regarding topics that are not positive... use an alias. Do not use your masseur persona. It will hurt your business. Your "masseur persona" is your brand. Take care of it.

These two both apply to in calls.

When you neaten up between clients be sure to check the waste basket. Staring at the refuse from previous sessions is a real turn off.

Give full arrival instructions. Many times I’ve been left standing outside an apartment building door with no entry instructions. Buzz 34 works. Or, if the units are listed by name be sure the name on the list is the same as your professional name. If there’s a doorman be sure to give your clients the name for them to call to announce your guest.

I would think that a new masseur would need to consider marketing. Reviews matter, so be sure to do your best to make each client happy enough to leave a positive review. If you know they were happy, ask them to leave a review or maybe even give them some sort of an incentive to leave one.

On the flip side, remember that bad reviews also matter, so do whatever you can to fix a situation that doesn't go well. Have a long-term view of revenue and realize that a profile with all 5-star reviews has better long-term revenue potential than one that has a few 1-stars mixed in... EVEN IF the client was completely wrong, it doesn't matter... it is all about marketing.

If you do get a bad review, don't reply with excuses or condemnation. Reply with a marketing message that indicates you'd love for them to contact you so that you can make it right. They probably won't, and it doesn't matter because this is about marketing and image... it is not about being right.

Edited by jtwalker

Great thanks! He did ask me how much did it cost to get certified, I was not sure, but I told him it was maybe between 5K to 10K and thousand of hours of training. Is this correct?

Cost varies by location, $3000 -$15,000. Most programs are 6mo - 12 months, and 400 massage hours. A 600 hour massage program would be considered very in depth.

A masseuse would have to market like hell to get any clients from this forum. ;-)

Just got this joke ;-)

On that note it really bugs me when people go to masseur finder dot com or rent masseur dot com or reply to a thread about “masseur best practices” and tell us they’re looking for a masseuse.

It is in the name.

Cost varies by location, $3000 -$15,000. Most programs are 6mo - 12 months, and 400 massage hours. A 600 hour massage program would be considered very in depth.

600 hours is a decent start. That range fits in many states, but minimum requirements are increasing and vary by state and country. New York and Florida require 1,000 hours minimum for licensing. California is headed that way too if they ever change from certification to licensing. https://www.abmp.com/practitioners/state-requirements

Another example, if you're in Canada, they require a 2 year in-depth program. https://www.rmtbc.ca/become-a-rmt/