Masseur best practices...

7829V

Everyone here has really nailed it from both the client and the masseur side. I wish I knew about this forum when I first started, would have saved me a lot of meh experiences.

As a masseur/scort my advice would be(sorry for repeats, I feel they are important enough to read again):

-DO go with your gut, if you get a bad feeling through a call, imagine the feeling you’ll get when you knock on the door, instinct is usually right and although it only happened once, I had to leave a service halfway into it, and that’s me, and I’m an “anything goes” fetish friendly experience, so imagine the amount of creep it takes to make me walk out the door.

-DO get a professional scheduling app(online scheduling if you can) to keep track of appointments, even better if clients can see your schedule and book their own appointments.

-DO be open minded. Even if you want to be 100% legit and therapeutic, clients make requests constantly, always consider them and their comfort, I have done strictly therapeutic massages nude because I have clients that are more comfortable not being the only one naked in the room. There is nothing wrong or illegal about 2 adults being nude in a room together, you can relax some and still be a legit professional.

-DO NOT take appointments that you can’t keep. When you start out you are fresh meat and you’ll get a sudden influx of appointments, don’t let it go to your head, you are being tested, do well and word will spread.

-DO NOT use your phone during appointments! I have an iPhone and I turn on driving mode and set up an auto reply that states I’m in an appt and will get back immediately after, that way people know I’m busy, not ignoring them, and clients don’t have a therapist hovering over his phone.

-BIOTONE period. Coconut oil is a good 2nd Incase they prefer oil.

Lastly, be fair, charge the standard rate in your area FOR THE SERVICES OFFERED, don’t charge $150 an hour for a therapeutic, at the same time don’t lowball yourself, don’t charge $50 an hour for erotic(or people will think you are either terrible at it or desperate). Price takes practice and fine tuning, you’ll find what is both fair to clients and gets you enough appointments to pay your bills.

It’s all about the regulars. They are loyal, they deserve more, go with a regular over a new guy if you have to pick one, and I ALWAYS give my regulars free upgrades. Over deliver consistently.

Sorry it’s so long, TLDR Don’t get cocky, treat your regulars with the respect they deserve, be creative and be ready for some situations you didn’t prepare for.

DO NOT use your phone during appointments!

A few months back I went to a session with a masseur that was renting space for a day. I was impressed that upfront he asked if it would be okay for him to check his phone midway through the 90 minute session so that he could maximize his use of time for the day. I said no problem and at a very natural point he asked if I would like some water or needed anything. He took maybe 90 seconds to go through texts. Very respectful and professional.

A few months back I went to a session with a masseur that was renting space for a day. I was impressed that upfront he asked if it would be okay for him to check his phone midway through the 90 minute session so that he could maximize his use of time for the day. I said no problem and at a very natural point he asked if I would like some water or needed anything. He took maybe 90 seconds to go through texts. Very respectful and professional.

That’s very different and a professional way to handle things. I mean more the clock watchers and the checking texts for 5 minutes several times during the massage without warning.

If something is going on or you are expecting an important message, always be upfront and ask, clients will surprise you with how understanding they can be ;)

Oh Another one...

If you have a roommate and are taking incalls, let your customer know went they book. Hearing other unexpected people in the place is odd. I hired one guy and went to his place. Walked in to the front door. Bam. Massage table in the living room. But he lead me to his room. So I figured it was for practice or perhaps extra. Get to his room and on the table there and later during my massage, I hear another person going up and down the stairs.

Well after my massage was done, a black curtain was pulled from the living room area so you couldn't see from the stairway and I was led out the backdoor through the kitchen. WKOSIT?

I concluded that his roommate was also a masseur. That's fine and dandy. But at least let me know. I am sure the roommate's client found it odd hearing us as we were going down the stairs too as I was having some small talk about asking for water, and as I mentioned, the table was right in the living room. Just not a good look if you are not telling your clients before hand that you are in a shared space. A tleast let me have the option to decide if I'll go with the booking or not or letting me know if the roommate will be there or not or possibly arrive during the session.

Another time, I hired a new guy and the appointment was at the same apartment of another guy I hired a few months back. I didn't see the other masseur but, yeah. That was kinda awkward.

Lastly, be fair, charge the standard rate in your area FOR THE SERVICES OFFERED, don’t charge $150 an hour for a therapeutic, at the same time don’t lowball yourself, don’t charge $50 an hour for erotic(or people will think you are either terrible at it or desperate). Price takes practice and fine tuning, you’ll find what is both fair to clients and gets you enough appointments to pay your bills.

That's wouldn't be unfair in my neighborhood, given that the local spas, whose therapists won't do stomach or buttocks, charge that much or more.

This seems like something that needs to be adjusted by market. For example, I have watch visiting masseurs stay on "Available Now" for a long time, then look at their prices for my market and see why. You can be new to an area but if you are still priced out of range, locals may just go with the cheaper locals. You should try to be competitive at least to the area that you are in. Sometimes, that may mean going up in price as well to be on par. If I know I can get everything I need from a masseur I hire regularly for $X, it is hard to justify paying a 'new' guy $X for half as much time when both or "Available Now" just to say I've tried them, especially when there's few reviews out there.

Which brings me to, if you are traveling, may want to let people know if the hotel you are in has free parking or not. Or even convenient street parking. I always find it interesting that some masseurs get in hotels that are clearly in the $200+ a night range downtown and wonder if they'd be better off maximizing profits by going to a spot just in the suburbs that may be a little cheaper.

That's wouldn't be unfair in my neighborhood, given that the local spas, whose therapists won't do stomach or buttocks, charge that much or more.

Definitely can see that. No spas here do stomach, glutes or inner thighs either, so I’m with you and I charge approx what they do but with to your door (or incall) service that includes all the areas spas miss, so they can’t compete and the Disney Tourists who are planning on paying the crazy resort prices anyway, are happy to pay for room service massage that hits all the spots for less than what the resort spa would charge.

I think I mentioned “for your area,” I know the price difference between BFE and NYC is pretty drastic, I’m in Orlando so I was using examples from my area, so your prices may vary drastically either way above or way below.

Just suggesting a new masseur takes location into account and fairness for the area, $150 for strictly therapeutic in Disney Orlando is more than fair and less than most spas, you could probably do $200 if you wanted to, but I don’t want to be the guy who nickel and dimes people, so it’s a halfway point. $150 to local orlando is a little excessive and I’ve seen new masseurs as low as $65 (which is a red flag to me to be so low compared to the standard), so I do $100 an hour for outcall therapeutic outside of Disney to take locals and travelers not on a saved vacation budget into account, to this day though the resorts always glare at me walking my table through the hotel haha.

I still see people come out of nowhere trying $250+ for an hour therapeutic, then they disappear a month or so in and I’m sure they wonder why, it’s not a get rich quick scheme but building relationships with clients over time, lots of communication, marketing, keeping your client base happy while always taking new ones. I feel like some new people see the rates and think they will be making 6 figures in a week and don’t realize that for every hour actually spent working there are probably 4 or more hours communicating, marketing, advertising, and scheduling for future appointments, so your 10 hour workday varies, dead days you get 1 paid hour out of it, busier days (Wednesday oddly enough blows up here aside from the obvious Friday and weekends) you might get paid for 8 hours and then adding travel and such it’s a loooong 12 hour day.

That’s another good one for new masseurs:

Be realistic with your expectations, some weeks you will be completely booked out to the point you skip meals and stay up late to fit everyone in, some weeks you will only have your regulars, and it takes time to build those regulars, so don’t expect overnight success, you need a wide skill set outside of the massage itself to make it work. In the beginning you might have half a week between appointments once the “fresh meat” phase wears off unless you have built up to having those regulars.

Do have some flexibility with regular customers, the same way we have it with you when it comes to scheduling and cancelling.

I had a masseur that was seeing sometimes 2x per week for a few months. One day I scheduled an appointment and literally was so tired that fall asleep and did not wake up on time. He called me and I apologized, instead of saying no problem, he demanded the full session paid. I did via paypal. And I never hired him again.

One thing that sets MY regular go-to guy apart from the crowd, is that he starts his session by showering WITH me, scrubs me down and sets the mood with some scintillating moves, under the warm water.

Beyond that...as others have noted. Don't over-do the oil or lotion...and be sure to clean it off with washcloth and dry with a towel when you're done. Don't just send them to the shower again ! Do it for him.

If you're offering "erotic" be clear up front, where your lines are drawn. Too many times, I've signed on for an erotic session, that wasn't anymore "erotic" than a massage, I've gotten at a legitimate spa. That makes

the experience disappointing, and my tip disappear.

Edited by pubic_assistance

One thing that sets MY regular go-to guy apart from the crowd, is that he starts his session by showering WITH me, scrubs me down and sets the mood with some scintillating moves, under the warm water.

Is the shower part of the “massage time”.

All good points here. To add:

What you wear matters. You may think that since you’ll be naked and taking your clothes off anyway, that sweats is fine, but it generally isn’t. Look nice when you open the door.

Also confirm rates and amount of time spent before hand. Especially on masseurfinder, Some guys don’t click through to individual profile pages from the city page, and may ask think that your rate for everything is the rate that it says “starting at”. Heck - some don’t look at rates at all before they contact you. Make sure that all expectations are taken care of beforehand.

Be open to accepting different types of payment. Cash, the cash app, Venmo, square, etc - you’ll get asked about them all.

Also make the massage your own / special / unique.

If I can think of anything else I’ll add it, but these are some of my experiences that I’ve learned that haven’t been said already.

I’ve akso learned some things here, so that’s cool.

Could you go into more detail about your blindfolding experience and other elements that made you pleasantly surprised? I'd be apprehensive if a new masseur blindfolds me... maybe if I've seen him for a while, I'd be open to that. But I wonder what's the magic of being blindfolded and what other elements are nice to add to the massage experience.

By the way, your message @NYMassageAddict reminds me of this https://mailer.chaosmen.com/2014/04-11-14/1392_chaosmen_ransom_santiago_edge_hires_001.jpg

I’ve had a few experiences with blindfolds. One was just a smaller towel over my eyes which was nice because I didn’t know what was coming and the anticipation made it a amazing.

Another was a full ritual with a real blindfold. 2 guys massaging me in rhythm. I was completely taken on a choreographed experience.

Do have some flexibility with regular customers, the same way we have it with you when it comes to scheduling and cancelling.

I had a masseur that was seeing sometimes 2x per week for a few months. One day I scheduled an appointment and literally was so tired that fall asleep and did not wake up on time. He called me and I apologized, instead of saying no problem, he demanded the full session paid. I did via paypal. And I never hired him again.

An absolute textbook example of penny-wise and pound foolish.