Best hotels you have stayed at

JohnGerman
This topic is 2204 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of my travel was corporate. And in considering the posted question, I realize Ive rarely stayed in hotels truly characterized as super high-end luxury. And most of my favorite stays were in Hyatts.

• The Grand Hyatt Tampa, where they always upgraded me to what they called Casitas... a grouping of separate buildings at the waterfront. I was always in a large suite, with a loft bedroom and a patio only feet from waters' edge.
  • The Park Hyatt DC, particularly for the location.
  • The Grand Hyatt NYC, above Grand Central Terminal. Due to a series of poor customer service at prior properties and with telephone reservations, I was greeted by the general manager on arrival and upgraded to a huge suite, with windows facing north east and south. And met at checkout by the reservations manager and told that, all future stays, to book the cheapest online room available and email her.... I was upgraded to suites with Regency Club concierge level access every stay. Due to corp HQ in Westchester, I spent weekends there 4-5 times a year. And fell in love with NYC, Broadway, even the subway. I also learned the lesson that politely complaining usually pays off.
  • The Hyatt Suites on Michigan Ave in Chicago. I worked for a corporation that was buying a new property in Chicago and arranged an ongoing corporate rate. I was there twice a month. Brand new at the time, great little suites... they really had their customer service act together. I was walking away from checkin once, when the agent called me back to say "I see in the notes here that you found the mattress in that room uncomfortable on a prior visit. Lets put you in a different room." I think its now an Omni.
  • The Grand Hyatt SF, where Ive stayed many times, and even arranged a corporate retreat. Fantastic location.
  • The Seascape Resort south of SF, and the Bodega Bay Lodge to the north were both great.
  • Hotel Pacific Monterey, all suites, and a great location for walking to downtown or out to the wharf.

Neither the Palace nor the Ritz Carlton in San Francisco was more than very nice... not the extraordinary experience I'd hoped for given their reputation.

Another favorite is the Renaissance Lodge in Sonoma. My partner and I have been going there for several days at Christmas every year for close to twenty years. Spacious comfortable rooms. They used to provide all kinds of ammenities, but not so much anymore. The food in the restaurant is outstanding. Friendly well-trained staff. Nice grounds, Spa.

I forgot about the Enchantment Resort in Sedona. Spectacular setting in a box canyon. You can hear the coyotes howling at night. They have little individual houses - casitas. The interiors look like hotel rooms that you would see on the cover of Holiday or Travel & Leisure. A couple of pools and several spas on the property. Very isolated. The first time we stayed there was one year after 9/11. Because people were still afraid to travel, we stayed there for an absurdly low rate. We've been back a few times since. It never disappoints.

Edited by Rudynate

The "best" hotel I ever stayed at was the Sofitel Legend the Grand in Amsterdam. Spent a wonderful weekend there in 2015 with Chris Eisenhower. Bi-level suite, winding staircases, beautiful decor and excellent service. And a great traveling companion; we made the most of Amsterdam.

Another great place is the Kilauea Lodge in the town of Volcano on the big island of Hawaii. Formerly a boy scout camp that was purchased by a Swiss Hotelier and converted into a plush little resort. Outstanding restaurant.

I’ve stayed at Kilauea Lodge....problematic at this moment!

I seem to remember French toast for breakfast with 3 different types of Hawaiian bread.

Hotel Adlon Berlin located in the former East Germany

Didn't stay there but a few years ago a friend and I were having something mit schlag at the sidewalk cafe, when up pulls a pink Mercedes. The bellman rushes over and starts pulling luggage out of the trunk while two women, one in zebra and the other in leopard, sail out of the front and into the hotel. I waited until they were both inside before walking over to get a better look at the car and try to figure out who would drive a pink Mercedes. All became clear when I saw the Mary Kay Cosmetics logo in the rear window.

I'd walked by the hotel almost fifty years earlier when the wall was still up and, although it had seen better days, it was still a very impressive building. It was great to see it brought back to its former glory.

I'm usually pretty low rent myself but, once on business, I stayed at the Park Lane on Central Park South. Unbeknownst to me at the time, those were the days when Harry and Leona Helmsley were doing laps in their penthouse pool. It was early December and I was on the seventh floor looking toward the park when a heavy wet snow began to fall. I'd never seen Central Park look so beautiful. It also didn't hurt that Rumplemayer's was still in business and serving world-class pastries right next door.

And the Taj Mahal Hotel in Mumbai (Bombay at the time) where I was surrounded by luxury and service, and still couldn't get my bill over fifty bucks a night.

I've come straight downhill since then and my last stay was at a charmer near Yosemite right next to the Coke machine with two fly strips just outside the door. I was laughing with a friend about the cheap room when he reminded me that the really cheap rooms didn't have fly strips. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

Edited by Lookin

Didn't stay there but a few years ago a friend and I were having something mit schlag at the sidewalk cafe, when up pulls a pink Mercedes. The bellman rushes over and starts pulling luggage out of the trunk while two women, one in zebra and the other in leopard, sail out of the front and into the hotel. I waited until they were both inside before walking over to get a better look at the car and try to figure out who would drive a pink Mercedes. All became clear when I saw the Mary Kay Cosmetics logo in the rear window.

I'd walked by the hotel almost fifty years earlier when the wall was still up and, although it had seen better days, it was still a very impressive building. It was great to see it brought back to its former glory.

I'm usually pretty low rent myself but, once on business, I stayed at the Park Lane on Central Park South. Unbeknownst to me at the time, those were the days when Harry and Leona Helmsley were doing laps in their penthouse pool. It was early December and I was on the seventh floor looking toward the park when a heavy wet snow began to fall. I'd never seen Central Park look so beautiful. It also didn't hurt that Rumplemayer's was still in business and serving world-class pastries right next door.

And the Taj Mahal Hotel in Mumbai (Bombay at the time) where I was surrounded by luxury and service, and still couldn't get my bill over fifty bucks a night.

I've come straight downhill since then and my last stay was a at charmer near Yosemite right next to the coke machine with two fly strips just outside the door. I was laughing with a friend about the cheap room when he reminded me that the really cheap rooms didn't have fly strips. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

Great post...Last paragraph is hilarious.

I've come straight downhill since then and my last stay was a at charmer near Yosemite right next to the coke machine with two fly strips just outside the door. I was laughing with a friend about the cheap room when he reminded me that the really cheap rooms didn't have fly strips. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

I have a low-rent budget, but Priceline spoiled me and helped me develop a taste for nice hotels. But, alas, the days of 4-star rooms at 75.00/night seem to be pretty much gone.

I had to look it home good memories:

Black Sand Beach Three flavors (guava, taro, and traditional) of Punalu’u Portuguese sweetbread French toast $10.00

The breakfast was for guests and included. They were open to the general public for dinner. I don't remember specifics, but remember always enjoying dinner.

We've been to Hawaii several times, and my feeling about Hawaii, generally, is that you don't go for the food. I do remember one standout dinner at Roy's at Poipu. I wasnt eating any dairy at the time and asked them what they could do for me. The chef actually came from the kitchen and suggested a few options.Together, we designed a fabulous dinner from starter to dessert.

I forgot about the Enchantment Resort in Sedona. Spectacular setting in a box canyon. You can hear the coyotes howling at night. They have little individual houses - casitas. The interiors look like hotel rooms that you would see on the cover of Holiday or Travel & Leisure. A couple of pools and several spas on the property. Very isolated. The first time we stayed there was one year after 9/11. Because people were still afraid to travel, we stayed there for an absurdly low rate. We've been back a few times since. It never fails to disappoint.
Well there is a booming endorsement....it never fails to disappoint.