Best hotels you have stayed at

JohnGerman
This topic is 2185 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The post below about 5-star hotels got me thinking about the hotels that I have stayed at. Which hotels that you have stayed at gave you the best impression, in the sense of luxury and service?

For me, I have stayed at quite a few hotels both for business travels and pleasure (mostly for business) all over the world. I'd say my number one is a tie. First is a somewhat surprising choice of Boston Harbor Hotel. It's not the most imposing or the trendiest, but is super quiet, with courteous service (I remember two doormen opening the big front door for me at the same time) but not snobby. And I really loved the French style deco in their guest rooms. My co-number one is the Sukhothai in Bangkok. My god, the service there was just astonishing. Every server in the hotel, even if you just walk past them, would give you the warmest and sincerest smile and greeting that you have EVER seen. And they really go extra miles to serve you.

Fontainebleau in Miami gets my bronze medal, tied with Aria in Vegas, which I think is very cool.

As for chains, I think Four Seasons are quite good, but not as earth-shattering as my co-gold medalists. Ritz Carltons are hit and miss. Ws are just trendy.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motel 6 in Joplin, MO. I have my reasons. :)

Well, this should belong to another topic, but in this regard, I loved the Four Season in Chicago and the Sanderson in London. ;) Hate to sound like Mae West, but all things being equal, there is no comparison between a hot time in a fancy hotel and one at a Motel 6! :p

For different reasons, Four Seasons Maui, and Chicago, Grand Wailea Maui, Ritz Carlton DC, Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Le Pavillon New Orleans, Hotel Pacific Monterey, Loews Coronado.

Forgot, Grand Hotel Mackinac Island. Not for hotel itself, but the history.

Edited by bashful

I got married at the St Regis in NYC and the service and the wedding assistance were impossibly great. It was a very unusual situation with the wedding being planned around an unexpected cancellation in the schedule at the St Regis. I am forever thankful for everything they did and the manner in which they did it.

Someone told me there was this hotel in Hawaii. As soon as you walk into the lobby, the wide view would just take your breath away. I can’t remember the name. Is it the Royal Hawaii Honolulu? Probably not.

Not an awesome view from the lobby when you walk into the Royal Hawaiian. I forgot to mention the Moana, which has a better view when you walk in, but it's to pool and ocean beyond. It's nice, but never took my breath away.

Not an awesome view from the lobby when you walk into the Royal Hawaiian. I forgot to mention the Moana, which has a better view when you walk in, but it's to pool and ocean beyond. It's nice, but never took my breath away.

The hotel I was thinking about had a long funky Hawaiian name. So I don’t think it was the one you mentioned. I remember my friend telling me there was this huge black volcanic rock outside the lobby with ocean in the background. He said it was a view he would never forget.

The hotel I was thinking about had a long funky Hawaiian name. So I don’t think it was the one you mentioned. I remember my friend telling me there was this huge black volcanic rock outside the lobby with ocean in the background. He said it was a view he would never forget.

Has to be the Big Island. Maybe the Four Seasons or something close to it in Waikoloa. Could well be the Sheraton down at Keauhou Bay built on lava flows and where you swim with giant manta rays

Best hotel because of the view - Le Meridien in Giza, Cairo. We arrived at night, opened the curtains and realised that the shapes blocking out the stars were the Pyramids. I think we decide on hotels because of the location rather than any consideration of levels of service or amenities.

The Oberoi Udaivilas, Udaipur, India. The first thing you see after the sincere greeting is a sign that asks you not to tip but, rather, leave an envelope with the concierge - if you want- when you leave. The entire staff was genuinely friendly but unobtrusive. It is the only hotel I have ever stayed at where I felt their "good morning" was real. Beautiful views of the Lake Hotel and private swimming pools for each villa. Worth the trip to Udaipur just to stay at the Villas.

The Oberoi Udaivilas, Udaipur, India. The first thing you see after the sincere greeting is a sign that asks you not to tip but, rather, leave an envelope with the concierge - if you want- when you leave. The entire staff was genuinely friendly but unobtrusive. It is the only hotel I have ever stayed at where I felt their "good morning" was real. Beautiful views of the Lake Hotel and private swimming pools for each villa. Worth the trip to Udaipur just to stay at the Villas.

The Trident at Nariman Point in Mumbai was wonderful. Claridges in Delhi was outstanding.