Leg, Foot Cramps

Avalon
This topic is 2218 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I suffer from leg and foot cramps. I'm online maybe 12-14 hours per day. My laptop is on a tv tray. I sit in my comfy chair with both feet flat on the floor.

However if I put my legs, feet up on the foot stool and at night when I go to bed with my legs stretch out horizontally after awhile I get cramps.

My doctor told me to take a calcium tablet before I go to bed. I have. But I have grown a tolerance to them. After several months I'd need to take one or two more during the night.

I'll get up and walk it off the best I can. I set in my comfy chair in the living room and rub my leg.

I decided to stop taking the calcium tablets for awhile so hopefully when I resume taking them they will help.

Any suggestions on what to do help?

Never underestimate the need for hydration. Make sure you’re drinking enough water throughout the day. And if you’re sitting For 12 to 14 hours a day online, it’s imperative that you take breaks and at least walk around your home or outside for a while. Also, leg stretching exercises can help to alleviate cramps greatly.

Never underestimate the need for hydration. Make sure you’re drinking enough water throughout the day. And if you’re sitting For 12 to 14 hours a day online, it’s imperative that you take breaks and at least walk around your home or outside for a while. Also, leg stretching exercises can help to alleviate cramps greatly.

No more going outside for me. When I stand up I don't move for maybe a minute because my legs are shaky. And then when I do start walking I clutch onto to tables, chairs, walls etc..

Edited by Avalon

No more going outside for me. When I stand up I don't move for maybe a minute because my legs are shaky. And then when I do start walking I clutch onto to tables, chairs, walls etc..

Of course it is easy for us to play arm chair doctor but the fact that you are sitting with laptop on a tray for 12 hours has to be a major factor. There are excercises you can do while sitting. Youtube some sitting exercises. Aside from vitamin and meds, hydration and moving (even of while sitting) I would think would help if not physically to at least mentally too so you are not glued to your computer.

I read about a woman in China who died of a blood clot in her leg because she was on her phone the whole train ride and did not bother getting up.

Of course it is easy for us to play arm chair doctor but the fact that you are sitting with laptop on a tray for 12 hours has to be a major factor. There are excercises you can do while sitting. Youtube some sitting exercises. Aside from vitamin and meds, hydration and moving (even of while sitting) I would think would help if not physically to at least mentally too so you are not glued to your computer.

I read about a woman in China who died of a blood clot in her leg because she was on her phone the whole train ride and did not bother getting up.

Good advice. Moving around more would help but it is difficult.

Have you considered a walker? Hate them myself, but I do use a cane when out and about

I don't know if it would help. Like last week when I fell in the parking lot I don't think a walker or cane would have prevented that.

I don't know if it would help. Like last week when I fell in the parking lot I don't think a walker or cane would have prevented that.

It is impossible to know if a cane or walker would have helped lessen your fall last week, but I would ask that you please consider those options. I live in a retirement/seniors community, and I have seen the very positive attributes of canes and walkers. I hope you find some of the above suggestions for leg cramping relief helpful. Not long ago I experienced excruciating leg cramps every time I awoke. It was conscientiously drinking more water that helped me.

It is impossible to know if a cane or walker would have helped lessen your fall last week, but I would ask that you please consider those options. I live in a retirement/seniors community, and I have seen the very positive attributes of canes and walkers. I hope you find some of the above suggestions for leg cramping relief helpful. Not long ago I experienced excruciating leg cramps every time I awoke. It was conscientiously drinking more water that helped me.

Thanks! I'll take all advice under consideration. I do enjoy the sugar free water enhancements. There's MIO water but then I recently discovered Hawaiian Punch has one too.

Is physical therapy an option for you? My personal trainer suggested it, and it helped enormously.

My training has been extremely helpful. I can now get up off the floor, as long as there's something around to steady me. Three years ago, I couldn't.

Is physical therapy an option for you? My personal trainer suggested it, and it helped enormously.

My training has been extremely helpful. I can now get up off the floor, as long as there's something around to steady me. Three years ago, I couldn't.

I don't know. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

It's difficult sometimes when one is alone and has no one to rely upon.

In 1999 when I was in the hospital for two weeks I had a number of people come by everyday. In 2006 when I was in the hospital again I no visitors but two friends called me every day. One died in 2014 and the other last year. Now there would be no one.

What strikes me about your posts is your social isolation, which exacerbates your physical inaction, and vice versa. Is there any kind of senior center you can get to in order to meet and interact with others? This site is good for communicating with a variety of people, but it really can't take the place of meeting other flesh and blood human beings. Do you have any interests or hobbies that would enable you to mingle with others? Even something as sedentary as playing cards or Bingo with other people would be good for you.

All of the above are pieces of the puzzle. Add in potassium, lose weight with the help of a professional who is also a trainer.

Start with baby steps literally and slowly work up to getting outside and around the block.

ABOVE ALL - FLEX AND EXTEND your feet/ankles whenever you are sedentary. This will help to avoid any emboli.

Good luck.

What strikes me about your posts is your social isolation, which exacerbates your physical inaction, and vice versa. Is there any kind of senior center you can get to in order to meet and interact with others? This site is good for communicating with a variety of people, but it really can't take the place of meeting other flesh and blood human beings. Do you have any interests or hobbies that would enable you to mingle with others? Even something as sedentary as playing cards or Bingo with other people would be good for you.

Too late for that now.

When you go to bed, wear socks. Seriously. Keeping your feet warm helps prevent foot cramps. It works.

In the Winter I do wear socks to bed for warmth. Year round. Thanks!

All of the above are pieces of the puzzle. Add in potassium, lose weight with the help of a professional who is also a trainer.

Start with baby steps literally and slowly work up to getting outside and around the block.

ABOVE ALL - FLEX AND EXTEND your feet/ankles whenever you are sedentary. This will help to avoid any emboli.

Good luck.

Thanks! I 'll try to remember to do that.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last night was the first time in awhile that I did not have cramps in my feet and legs nor did my left leg feel "peculiar".

I concur with the advice previously given by others urging you to exercise more and increase the circulation to the your legs. Simple, easy movement and stretching will help. All those supplements are wasting your money. A good trainer, and/or a physical therapist, who specialize in senior "disabilities" would be a good start. I might also offer the suggestion to try "Easy Yoga", a good and proven way to move and stretch your body without a lot of stress. The advice to start slowly is also key. Don't overdo it. Good luck and feel better.

I concur with the advice previously given by others urging you to exercise more and increase the circulation to the your legs. Simple, easy movement and stretching will help. All those supplements are wasting your money. A good trainer, and/or a physical therapist, who specialize in senior "disabilities" would be a good start. I might also offer the suggestion to try "Easy Yoga", a good and proven way to move and stretch your body without a lot of stress. The advice to start slowly is also key. Don't overdo it. Good luck and feel better.

I exercise every single day and spend an hour on stretching/mobility alone. I was still awakened by my lower legs and feet painfully spasming nightly until I started the magnesium and they stopped.