Do You Shop At IKEA?

Avalon
This topic is 2183 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IKEA is more labyrinthine than any bathhouse I have ever patronized.

:p I defer to your superior expertise.

A friend took her son to IKEA to shop for furniture and housewares for his college apartment. Her husband, who was committed to driving him back to school, was relieved and grateful to escape having to cope with IKEA.

I wonder whether it is an American thing to get lost in perfectly designed cities and spaces. Nothing can be further away from a Labyrinth than an IKEA store. Everything is mapped, logically arranged, signs and directions are posted everywhere, easier to navigate than a Walmart. They are huge, but huge fits America.

In all the countries I have been to, giving your address is enough. I noticed since I moved to the USA that besides giving my address I have to provide directions; and even so people get lost. GPS and smart phones have helped a lot, though.

IKEA is labyrinthine in the sense that the design leads you through every department to get to checkout, unless you watch carefully for the "shortcuts." Of course, it makes for clever marketing--I don't know how often I have stopped to look at some product I had never thought about shopping for.

That's what I was referring to.

• 6 months later...

IKEA has just recently cancelled plans for new stores in three cities. Glendale, AZ and Cary, NC are mentioned in the first article. A planned Nashville area store has been scrapped as well. Some analysts blame Amazon's domination.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/glendale/2018/05/25/ikea-cancels-plans-build-glendale-store/646669002/

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/05/29/ikea-store-location-nashville-antioch-near-me/654149002/

IKEA has just recently cancelled plans for new stores in three cities. Glendale, AZ and Cary, NC are mentioned in the first article. A planned Nashville area store has been scrapped as well. Some analysts blame Amazon's domination.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/glendale/2018/05/25/ikea-cancels-plans-build-glendale-store/646669002/

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/05/29/ikea-store-location-nashville-antioch-near-me/654149002/

My God, how many TUDRUNGRENs and VLSHKJAs do we need?

This will almost veer off-topic, but I hope it makes y'all chuckle. I had just hung up from chatting with my mom who had all sorts of stuff to tell me about the royal wedding last week. Then I read the question about shopping at IKEA and I was reminded of a true story. I remembered reading about the wedding of Prince Charles to Camilla and how, according to the Times of London, many of the invited royals were finding excuses on why they could not accept the invitation. Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden responded with regrets, saying she had to cut the ribbon at the opening of an IKEA store!

This will almost veer off-topic, but I hope it makes y'all chuckle. I had just hung up from chatting with my mom who had all sorts of stuff to tell me about the royal wedding last week. Then I read the question about shopping at IKEA and I was reminded of a true story. I remembered reading about the wedding of Prince Charles to Camilla and how, according to the Times of London, many of the invited royals were finding excuses on why they could not accept the invitation. Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden responded with regrets, saying she had to cut the ribbon at the opening of an IKEA store!

It's the Diana effect.

I purchased a 6' standing cabinet from ? Wayfair (someplace on line). My housemate assembled one day when I was gone. He's got a temper and a vocabulary to match.

It is an excellent piece of craftsmanship ... he said it was two hours to get it together, but it's solid. Oh, and about $450.

This beast:

http://www.homegrowndecor.com/content/captivating-kitchen-pantry-storage-cabinet-inspirational-modern-interior-ideas-with-ideas-about-free-standing-pantry-on-pinterest-standing.jpg

I have always found the quality of all but the very cheapest Ikea furniture to be excellent. Their staple ranges (Malm, 365, etc) seem to offer particularly good value. I’m surprised by so many people claiming Ikea’s quality is terrible.

I also love the efficiency of their furniture. Cardboard used in non-structural elements and whatnot.

I have always found the quality of all but the very cheapest Ikea furniture to be excellent. Their staple ranges (Malm, 365, etc) seem to offer particularly good value. I’m surprised by so many people claiming Ikea’s quality is terrible.

I also love the efficiency of their furniture. Cardboard used in non-structural elements and whatnot.

The quality of their furniture is highly variable. A friend bought all of her furniture from IKEA when she bought a house. The veneer on all of the tables started peeling away after about 18 months. The one table she bought at Target is still holding strong almost 20 years later. On the other hand, I've used their desktops and adjustable legs for years and they have held up well. My only complaint is the newer components are not quite as sturdy as the older components. However, the difference is negligible.

The quality of their furniture is highly variable. A friend bought all of her furniture from IKEA when she bought a house. The veneer on all of the tables started peeling away after about 18 months. The one table she bought at Target is still holding strong almost 20 years later. On the other hand, I've used their desktops and adjustable legs for years and they have held up well. My only complaint is the newer components are not quite as sturdy as the older components. However, the difference is negligible.

Maybe they're manufacturing different items for the US. I've bought at least a couple of dozen Ikea flat-pack items over the years, all of which have been fine, and I've helped friends build plenty more, all of which has also been fine.

I used to have IKEA furniture in school (bed, desk, couch). Now that I am grown up, my home is stocked with nicer pieces including a 6-panel late edo-era japanese screen from Christies, some antique chinese hardwood scholar items, furniture from restoration hardware, calligaris, armani casa, and and lighting from Flos.

I used to have IKEA furniture in school (bed, desk, couch). Now that I am grown up, my home is stocked with nicer pieces including a 6-panel late edo-era japanese screen from Christies, some antique chinese hardwood scholar items, furniture from restoration hardware, calligaris, armani casa, and and lighting from Flos.

Been shopping at the thrift store, haven't we?

It's possible that quality varies by product line. A friend noted that his five furnished rental properties have IKEA products that consistently last, and that he's been burned by some products that fall apart. There seem to be some lines that are outsourced to factories in the Orient and South America now. My brother and sister-in-law are frustrated that their master bedroom set they bought after the IKEA Elizabeth, NJ opening in 1990 shows no sign of failing. I sold a set of "Billy" bookshelves with base cabinets to a friend back in 2002, having purchased them in Elizabeth in 1991 and moved them to two different apartments in TN. My friend still raves about how those bookshelves got moved from home to home, daughter to daughter, and now a grandson in Colorado. She claims they're still holding up well. I wonder if quality has dropped over time.

I'm with @cany10011 though, my tastes in home furnishings have changed quite a bit since the days when IKEA impressed me with their practical sensibilities and affordability.