Do You Shop At IKEA?

Avalon
This topic is 2183 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I do like the meatballs, but otherwise no. You select some stuff, go pick them up somewhere and then -too much hassle. I go to those cheap Chinese furniture store-they bring it home and leave it where I want it. Often far cheaper. In a few years when the Chinese stuff turns to crap, just get a new set.

Edited by Walker1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do like the look of their furniture because it is a very clean lined somewhat retro-mod look but I would not buy their furniture. I have seen people who were remodeling their kitchen and got their cabinets from Ikea and they looked fantastic. I do like the look of a lot of accessories that Ikea has like lamps or some kitchen stuff. Actually Ikea does sell a set of wooden clothing hangers that are very nice.

And in addition to the meatballs the cinnamon buns they sell are good also.

...I have seen people who were remodeling their kitchen and got their cabinets from Ikea and they looked fantastic. ...

When I was contemplating a kitchen remodel two contractors suggested IKEA. They said the cabinets were well-made and he countertops were an excellent value for the money. Then again, I've heard people tell horror stories about IKEA kitchens. I think it depends on who does the installation. I WOULD NOT do it myself.

I couldn't begin to list all the things I have bought since the first IKEA stores appeared in this country, from packets of sauce for the Swedish meatballs to chairs, beds, dressers, tv stands, CD towers, and at least 80 linear feet of 6'6" high bookcases (we have a lot of books). Everything isn't of the highest quality, but I have never bought anything that didn't fulfill its function and last for as long as I needed it; as I sit here and look around me, I can see seven pieces of furniture in this room alone that came from IKEA stores in Pennsylvania and California, including one low bookcase I bought for a former bedroom twenty years ago. [A quick walk-through of the house turns up 38 individual pieces of furniture that came from IKEA.] Most of the things I put together myself, including the bookcases, which would have cost a fortune if I had bought them assembled at a furniture store.

BTW, if one is driving on the 10 between Palm Springs and LA, the IKEA at the exit in West Covina is a convenient place to stop to use the bathrooms, since California Interstate rest stops are often closed. And if you are looking for a different kind of fast food than McD et al., , the cafeteria there has the meatballs and other interesting choices.

When I was contemplating a kitchen remodel two contractors suggested IKEA. They said the cabinets were well-made and he countertops were an excellent value for the money. Then again, I've heard people tell horror stories about IKEA kitchens. I think it depends on who does the installation. I WOULD NOT do it myself.

There are contractors who specialize in IKEA installations. A friend and I mounted the cabinets I bought for my rental unit. It took maybe half a day. Then we went and had a nice lunch.

As I mentioned in ALL the other posts regarding the illustrious retailer, I go there only for the Meatballs.

They have some good design, but I am not about put-together yourself furniture, and low quality goods that dont last very long. .

I used to go with friend for a hearty meal, but then got over charged for items not on our trays by a snarky girl and decided to wait a while. Still haven't been back. I did break one of our martini glasses so I should hit their cheap stemware aisle soon.

There are contractors who specialize in IKEA installations. A friend and I mounted the cabinets I bought for my rental unit. It took maybe half a day. Then we went and had a nice lunch.

I will call you when I need an IKEA kitchen installed. :p

These contractors did not specialize in IKEA installations. They simply had worked with clients who bought their cabinets there.

I will call you when I need an IKEA kitchen installed. :p

These contractors did not specialize in IKEA installations. They simply had worked with clients who bought their cabinets there.

I didn't find assembly all that difficult. But then, I'm a type that enjoys puzzles. I had them all assembled and ready to go. He knew how to hang them and it all went pretty well.

One night about 2 weeks ago, I furnished most my new apartment in Kuala Lumpur in a single IKEA visit. BTW could find neither salmon or meatballs at this IKEA. The next morning I got up and before breakfast assembled a dining table, four chairs and a lounge chair and ottoman whilst listening to Don Giovanni on YouTube. What can I say? I grew up with Erector Sets. Does anybody else remember Erector Sets?

One night about 2 weeks ago, I furnished most my new apartment in Kuala Lumpur in a single IKEA visit. BTW could find neither salmon or meatballs at this IKEA. The next morning I got up and before breakfast assembled a dining table, four chairs and a lounge chair and ottoman whilst listening to Don Giovanni on YouTube. What can I say? I grew up with Erector Sets. Does anybody else remember Erector Sets?

I had a Barbi Dream House...Maybe that's when things went south ? but it all turned around cause now, I play with "erection" sets :p

Edited by jjkrkwood

Erector sets and tinker toys. Oh, Lincoln Logs too.

Those things always frustrated me. My parents, when buying that sort of stuff for gifts, were guided by the principal of "less is more." So I would have this tinker toy set or erector set and try to build the things shown in the instructions and find out that I needed a bigger set to build what I wanted. I would fiddle with the small set for awhile and lose interest.

Yes, indeed.

I occasionally shop at Ikea in Palo Alto and Emeryville, CA-- both in the Bay Area. ...only purchase small items, i.e. serving trays, votive holders, etc. I don't need any furniture, and I TRY NOT to purchase any item that needs to be assembled. ...want everything in place and ready to use.

Yes, but erector sets, Tinkertoys, and Lincoln Logs actually fit together. ;)

So did my IKEA stuff otherwise I’d never have gotten to breakfast. Maybe luck I guess.

I hear IKEA sells different stuff in Kuala Lumpur because it sounds like it could be an IKEA product. BTW: I am kidding as I was about pieces fitting together. I lose patience and then interest.

Those things always frustrated me. My parents, when buying that sort of stuff for gifts, were guided by the principal of "less is more." So I would have this tinker toy set or erector set and try to build the things shown in the instructions and find out that I needed a bigger set to build what I wanted. I would fiddle with the small set for awhile and lose interest.

So, my folks would do that and then relatives would feel sorry for me, buy an even bigger set for the next occasion, and then I'd have TWO sets to mess with.