My biggest annoyance right now

GregM
This topic is 2420 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one of those cards. At the grocery store when I went inside and used it I had to enter the password. My grocery store has a call in service. So next time I went to pick up the groceries I had to drive behind the building to pick up the order. I used that same card but this time did not have to enter a password.

The chip. The chip in debit and credit cards. I hate them! I can pay faster and be on my way by tapping my phone on the machine. Grrrr :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Hugs,

Greg

All my cards have chips and I was able to use tap and pay as recent as last week. I hope nothing has changed since then and now.

(Had to delete a duplication of verbiage.)

https://studentloanhero.com/featured/chip-credit-card-pros-cons/

I love them. Having been the victim of credit card fraud, most notably that massive hacking of Target's system, it was a nightmare. Part of the recovery was my fault, because I wasn't proactive enough, but at least this is another level of protection and a minor annoyance considering the alternatives...

My 2 cents.

What You Need to Know About Using a Chip Credit Card

ericr.jpeg

Eric Rosenberg

Updated on February 21, 2017

How does a chip credit card work?

Magnetic strip credit cards contain information that can be easily stolen using a device called a skimmer. Replicating a credit card with a skimmer is as easy as getting a new room key at a hotel. Just swipe the original and then swipe a blank card and it becomes a copy of the original.

Chip credit cards use information located in that little chip on the face of your card. When you insert your card into a chip terminal, encrypted information only usable by the terminal and the processor is transmitted. The information is encrypted using three cipher algorithms known as 3DES, or triple data encryption.

If a hacker tries to steal your card information while in transit from a chip credit card, they will only get jumbled data that isn’t useful for fraud. Because of this, chip credit cards are much more secure than the old magnetic ones you’re used to.

Pros and cons of chip credit cards

With any major change in the world of payments, there are going to be advantages and disadvantages. Here are the pros and cons of chip credit cards:

Pros:

• Better security through encrypted data transmission
  • Makes transactions much more difficult for data thieves to hack

Cons:

• Slower processing speed at checkout compared to magnetic cards
  • No added security for online transactions

Chip and PIN credit cards vs. chip and signature cards

For the most part, U.S.-based chip cards use a “chip and signature” authentication, requiring you to sign your name for transactions. Although this is more secure than the magnetic strip cards, anyone can forge a signature. So, in other parts of the world, the “chip and PIN” method is used for added security.

Chip and pin credit cards work like your debit card. You enter your four-digit PIN to further secure your transaction. If the PIN doesn’t match the PIN encoded in the credit card chip, the transaction is declined.

Even though chip cards are the safest credit cards, there are more secure payment options. Paying using Apple Pay, Android Pay, and Samsung Pay is even more secure since your actual credit card number is never used.

Why chips on credit cards are important

Even with a higher production cost and slower checkout speeds, chip credit cards are still a step in the right direction.

Last year, credit card fraud in the U.S. cost $16 billion. While a portion of that cost is absorbed by banks and retailers, consumers ultimately pay the price in higher costs at the store and the bank. If chip credit cards can cut just a fraction of that $16 billion, the overall payoff is massive.

The credit card data breaches at Target, Home Depot, and other major retailers are good reminders that our payments need to be more secure. Using encrypted data rather than your credit card information can help prevent major losses for companies and hassles for consumers.

After the Target breach, I received a new credit card with a new number. This meant I had to update many automatic bill payments. Sure, I didn’t have to pay for any credit card fraud out of pocket, but it was still an inconvenience to get a new card number.

Chip credit cards are here to stay

Chip and signature and chip and PIN credit cards aren’t going anywhere for a while. Using a chip at checkout is becoming the norm. Because upgrading to a chip terminal can cost hundreds of dollars per terminal, it has taken retailers some time to make the move.

But rest assured, eventually you’ll use a chip everywhere you go. And this is great news that will help keep your information safe and secure every time you shop.

I'm mildly annoyed at the user interface. It seems so shrill. "Do not remove your card...do not remove your card...REMOVE CARD NOW!"

It's like the ATM that beeps at me to remove my money before it's finished dispensing it.

That's the fault of the UI designer. Safeway's card plays a sort of harp sound when it is time to remove the card. Fry's (Kroger's AZ banner) plays a sound resembling a fire alarm. Same card, same terminals, different configuration.

The chip adds about 13 seconds to the entire transaction process. This seems like a long time but it’s rather remarkable considering the volume of transactions occurring per minute.

I’ve been using chip cards for international business travel for years. These cards were issued in Europe, Latin America, and Asia long before the US finally got around to requiring the banks to issue the cards.

Much of the resistance to the chip cards has come from the retailers and restaurants which are reluctant to incur the expense related to upgrade their processing systems. I bet Target regrets fighting the banks and Visa/MasterCard on implementation after their systems were hacked a few years back. Hence, Congress having to pass legislation to force business to adopt the new protocols by 2020.

Travel outside the U.S. and the difference is striking in the customer experience. At restaurants, for example, the waiter brings a handheld card machine to the table. The customer inserts the card and pays without ever handing the card over. Much more convenient and certainly less opportunity for fraud.

My preference is to also use Apple Pay when it’s available because it’s even more convenient. There’s no need to enter a PIN but, just to make it more complicated, the retailers are requiring the PIN to verify the transaction.

I'm mildly annoyed at the user interface. It seems so shrill. "Do not remove your card...do not remove your card...REMOVE CARD NOW!"

It's like the ATM that beeps at me to remove my money before it's finished dispensing it.

The bank ATMs have done this to remind the customer to take the card out before dispersing the cash. Customers have a habit of leaving chip cards inside the machine due to processing time. That’s why the cash slot does not open until the card is removed.

Also, not to discount your frustration, but aren't there alot more things (and people) to be annoyed by right now. A small list.

Trump

North Korea

Devastating & deadly fires

Devastating & deadly hurricanes

Gender inequality

Economic inequality

People with undrinkable water

Trump, AGAIN

White supremacy

The "Patriot" movement

Anything Kardashian

The prison industrial complex

Dualistic thinking

Again, not to discredit the annoyances of credit, but let's give ourselves credit for being somewhat privileged if this is what bugs us.

My preference is to also use Apple Pay when it’s available because it’s even more convenient. There’s no need to enter a PIN but, just to make it more complicated, the retailers are requiring the PIN to verify the transaction.

It isn't the retailer, it is the issuing bank. ATM cards require a PIN and debit cards that are used as ATM cards also require a PIN. Additionally, some credit card issuers have opted for "Chip and PIN." Personally, I will take the extra few seconds to enter my PIN in addition to using my fingerprint to authorize the transaction. I have no doubt that hackers are dreaming up ways to hack Apple Pay, Google Pay, and fill-in-the-blank pay as we speak.

Also, not to discount your frustration, but aren't there alot more things (and people) to be annoyed by right now. A small list.

Trump

North Korea

Devastating & deadly fires

Devastating & deadly hurricanes

Gender inequality

Economic inequality

People with undrinkable water

Trump, AGAIN

White supremacy

The "Patriot" movement

Anything Kardashian

The prison industrial complex

Dualistic thinking

Again, not to discredit the annoyances of credit, but let's give ourselves credit for being somewhat privileged if this is what bugs us.

http://d236bkdxj385sg.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Thanks.gif

:D

The chip. The chip in debit and credit cards. I hate them! I can pay faster and be on my way by tapping my phone on the machine. Grrrr :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Hugs,

Greg

Costco has the best system. Insert your card right away, and before they're even done scanning all items, it says remove card. Approved, and nothing to sign. They hand you the receipt and you just walk away.

Jewel (for you Chicago guys) is the worst. Their system won't even let you um...slip it in until all items are scanned. Then you have to sign, then wait for the cashier to push some button, then you can remove the card. Lots of wasted time.

I was recently in London and found that some shops had Credit/Debit/ATM card machines that would accept my ATM Card while others would not. Several years ago I had a major problem with my Debit Card because the credit card logo allowed the purchase to be debited to my bank without a pin. From that day forward I have carried ONLY an ATM card which ALWAYS requires that I enter a pin number.

For many years my bank had an arrangement with a bank in Puerto Vallarta that allowed me to withdraw money from their outdoor ATM Machines without paying any fees. A couple of years ago my bank changed banks in P.V. and the new bank ATM Machines will NOT accept my ATM Card the new bank insists that I use a Debit Card which I don't have. The old bank still accepts my ATM Card but I do have to pay additional fees.

The chip adds about 13 seconds to the entire transaction process.

Maybe it does NOW. When they first started using this technology, I feel it took at least 30 seconds more - if not more than that.

What annoys me is the time it takes to get to the transaction itself. In some stores, you can enter your card even as items are being checked out, and get some of the formalities out of the way while waiting to get the to the total amount. In some stores, you can't even start the process until after the total is rendered - which then takes more time before you're done.

I've seen Americans on panel shows here, apropos of almost nothing, comment approvingly on chip and PIN in Australia. Perhaps they hadn't travelled anywhere else outside the US where this is standard practice now. We haven't been able to use signatures here for about five years. Before that change occurred, one of the most annoying aspects of credit card processing, the screen and stylus method of signing was becoming standard. Now, thankfully, those things have gone (apart from the occasional time that the payment system is operating off-line).

I haven't dabbled in phone-based payment yet, but I love paywave or whatever term the card provider uses, that applies here for transactions under $100 which make up 99% of my transactions. Anything over that requires you to insert the card and use your PIN, and this also happens on some retail terminals for Amex cards. A few here also still use the strip on Amex, but not many, and it's declining. As ArVaGuy noted is the case elsewhere, restaurants have hand held card devices they bring to your table. I've had the same handful of coins in my pocket (or on the kitchen bench), and the same few notes in my wallet for about three months now, and don't regret the change.

One other gripe I'll add to the whole process - Stop asking me if I want cash back on my transaction! Just another question to answer before I can move on. I'm in a hurry, dammit!

Of course, if you wanted cash back and the terminal did not prompt you for cash back you would be upset that you could not get cash.

PIN pads have asked whether you want cash back on ATM purchases since retailers first started accepting ATM cards. The difference is now pin-based ATM is the default when you use a debit card. If you do not want that little annoyance, simply select "Credit" when you use your debit card.

Costco has the best system. Insert your card right away, and before they're even done scanning all items, it says remove card. Approved, and nothing to sign. They hand you the receipt and you just walk away.

Costco accepts ATM cards (you may use a debit card with a VISA or MasterCard logo as an ATM card) and VISA cards. If your VISA issuer requires a signature, as mine does, you will sign. However, the threshold at Costco is very high, mainly because they only allow their members to purchase items.

...Jewel (for you Chicago guys) is the worst. Their system won't even let you um...slip it in until all items are scanned. Then you have to sign, then wait for the cashier to push some button, then you can remove the card. Lots of wasted time.

Watch for Mariano's to implement that transaction sequence (if they don't already have it) when they migrate to the Kroger system. Ralph's and Fry's have the same transaction sequence (both are Kroger-owned, as is Mariano's). Whole Foods and Safeway do the same. I can't recall whether Trader Joe's does that. I think they do.

The bottom line is the chip and PIN were implemented to make fraudulent transactions harder and to prevent "skimming," the practice of installing a device that reads all of the magnetic stripe information from the card, which allows a fraudster to make a copy of the card. To me, the few extra seconds is worth it.

And they say people hate change!

Archived