Have you ever wanted children?

FreshFluff
This topic is 1778 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Have you ever wanted kids? If you were ever married to or dated a woman, did she have an overwhelming desire for kids. "Overwhelming desire" means that she goes crazy whenever she sees a kid, particularly a baby?

Edit: If you were straight and could palm the kids off on a wife, would it make a difference? For me, that would be ideal. I wouldn't need an overwhelming desire to have kids, just a basic desire to reproduce and a willingness to support my offspring. Someone else gets pregnant and delivers. I'd buy my wife a nanny to help her. At night, I'd "work late," have drinks with the guys, maybe have a few affairs. When I finally come home, the kids would be overjoyed. "Daddy!"

Edited by FreshFluff

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I met someone last year, and during our second date, he asked me if I wanted kids. I responded with a resounding no. It turns out he loves kids, and wanted at least one of his own. I could see the disappointment in his face when I answered his question.

I thought I did when I was younger but I also never exactly arranged my life to accommodate them, and also wound up caretaking for my mother and later my sister which pretty much kept me from doing that.. Then I got to 40 and was like, "While technically I'm not too old, I don't feel physically with back issues/etc. I can keep up with a child" So my position now is - if I meet Mr. Right, AND he's significantly younger, AND he really wants kids, I'll do it. Should my younger sister and her husband kick the bucket, I'd take in their two. But I wouldn't do it with someone my age or older unless the child were over 10 -too much possibility of the kid being burdened with caring for aging parents when he/she should just be starting out.

Also, I have 9 nieces and nephews, two of them are autistic, one of them profoundly so, and at least 3 and probably 4 of the others are general fuckups who I'm likely to cut out of the will for the way they treat their parents. So I'm acutely aware of what can go wrong.

I do have to admit I'm envious of Basketballer, not that he's had it easy by any stretch.

My son's mother left town without telling me she was preggers- I was 14, she was 18, would never have worked anyway, but...... About had a heart attack when he found me at age 19, took us a couple years to work out so many issues. But now, I get to be "Granpy" to the world's most amazing 8-year-old granddaughter, so almost all is forgiven!

I never wanted to father a child. But, when I was in my 30's I seriously considered adopting an 8-year old or older child. I really don't like younger kids but kinda wanted to help older kids. However, at that time, it was very problematic for a single gay man to adopt a child in Utah.

So, I remain childless. But I am a father-figure to my great nephews who's father abandoned them and my niece in 2011. They live in my Utah house and I try to visit them at least once a month. They are now 7 and 12 years old. In fact, we just made arrangements this weekend for them to spend Thanksgiving with me in Portland.

Have 5, their 42 (twins) and 34 (triplets) Best decision we made. They're grown married and have families of their own. The only drawback, those damn minivans.

I am a twin also. More important, I am glad you provided additional information. Multiple births are common in my father's family. There are three other sets of twins now.