Have you ever wanted children?

FreshFluff
This topic is 1806 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Have you ever wanted kids?

Mom shocked to be left deaf from pregnancy due to rare condition

A UK mom-of-two says she couldn’t hear her baby girl cry when she was born, due to a rare condition that caused her to lose her hearing during her pregnancy.

Kate Llewellyn-Waters, 42, said she suffers from a genetic defect known as otosclerosis, which resulted in her losing 60 percent of hearing while carrying her first child, Beatrix, in 2013.

“After having a C-section, I began to panic as I couldn’t hear Beatrix crying but she was crying, I was just deaf,” Llewellyn-Waters said.

The rare condition is the result of pregnancy hormones causing bones in the ear to grow and fuse together, which blocks sound from properly traveling to the brain.

“I noticed the initial loss during my first pregnancy when I entered the third trimester, but I didn’t quite make the connection,” Llewellyn-Waters said.

Doctors told her that she could undergo surgery, but she decided against the procedure because of the risks involved.

“There is an operation available, but it can go wrong and lead to complete deafness,” the mom said.

During her second pregnancy, Llewellyn-Waters lost another 10 percent of hearing, leaving her 70 percent deaf, she said.

She said she had to rely on reading lips but now has hearing aids that have helped improve her situation.

“My children have learned they need to be more patient as I can’t always hear them, although my hearing aids are fantastic,” Llewellyn-Waters said.

Doctors have warned her that if she were to have a third child she could completely lose her hearing.

“I could go totally deaf if I had a third child, but I don’t regret for one moment having children,” the mom said. “I definitely won’t be having a third though.”

I agree about the frozen eggs vs. embryo, although my doctor thinks the difference is less than people believe.

Nevertheless, I gave this a lot of soul searching and thought. I'm not going to change my mind about having kids alone, so that part is settled. Doing both as a hedge, as you suggested, is unlikely to work in this case.

You are pretty knowledgeable about this stuff, sniper.

Hope you are doing well. Anyways, once you have decided, just go ahead. There is never a perfect time and every year is one year older!

Thanks, Walker. I went through with it a few days after I posted that. It was a lot easier than I expected. I only did one cycle though.

Just in case do one or two more:p. I think even with hormones and meds some may get 30-40 eggs, but most about 20. Us men is so easy- we give millions of sperms and just have to jack off!! Even us, they usually ask 2-3 samples.

I had multiple failures, not all embryos develop into babies and some do and are lost. PGS/PGD help, but may just get a few normal embryos. Not any of my business- but was just saying if health returns , just go ahead with the baby-I am glad I did-only regret-wish I did it sooner so that they would graduate college quicker and I would have a few retirement years. We are talking from 18-25 years before they are truly independent.

We age and are not going to be as strong and agile and quick and able to bounce back from job loss etc as we age. Anyways off my advice columnist box and back to ogling at hot men!!!;)

Just in case do one or two more:p. I think even with hormones and meds some may get 30-40 eggs, but most about 20. Us men is so easy- we give millions of sperms and just have to jack off!! Even us, they usually ask 2-3 samples.

I had multiple failures, not all embryos develop into babies and some do and are lost. PGS/PGD help, but may just get a few normal embryos. Not any of my business- but was just saying if health returns , just go ahead with the baby-I am glad I did-only regret-wish I did it sooner so that they would graduate college quicker and I would have a few retirement years. We are talking from 18-25 years before they are truly independent.

We age and are not going to be as strong and agile and quick and able to bounce back from job loss etc as we age. Anyways off my advice columnist box and back to ogling at hot men!!!;)

I appreciate the detailed post.

So here’s the thing: This was meant to be a Hail Mary in case I fell in love and suddenly wanted to reproduce. I admire those who have and raise kids on their own but it's not for me. If I wanted it more, it would be different. Maybe I'll live to regret it.

Also, I thought about doing another round but even the low dose hormones we used exacerbated one of my issues. (That’s a known side effect and I knew going In.). Also, at this point, I’d need multiple cycles as you said.