Did Your Parents Give You The Talk About "The Birds And Bees"?

Avalon
This topic is 1149 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've posted before about how my father, a no-nonsense Naval officer, sat me down at 10 for a very complete rundown on sex and the changes that would come to my body, very explicitly explaining just about everything you can imagine-- erections, vaginas, intercourse, ejaculation, menstruation, masturbation, fertilization, wet dreams, body hair, growth spurts, everything. Including the smell of semen which he described as like Clorox. It was embarrassing but also a bonding experience. He even made the point that each partner should be thinking about the other one's pleasure, which I think embarrassed me the most for some reason.

I didn't have one single talk with my boys on sex, just answered their questions when they had them, and we always had frank and open discussions about it, so I believe they were the sources of information among their frends. I did make a point to tell them each about the changes hormones would bring, the increased importance of hygiene, etc. As they neared dating ages we had a safe sex talk. And I, too, told them each partner needs to think about the other one's pleasure.

Edited by BasketBaller

My mother sent away for pamphlets from the companies selling what passed for menstrual supplies back then (this was before maxipads) when I was ten or so and gave me a book that described intercourse and went through basic anatomy and the facts about reproduction at about the same time.

In sixth grade, the boys and girls were split up and given separate slide or movie presentations on reproduction and sexual development. That was the extent of my sex education in school other than the making out that inevitably happened on every school trip in high school.

Anything I knew about birth control and STI prevention I learned on my own, other than the poster I saw in a school hosting a choral event I was part of that said "VD is not the flower of love." I also don't remember any mention of masturbation, which I had discovered for myself (entirely by accident) when I was nine or so.

The emotional aspects of sex also were never covered.

My Dad had the usual playboy, penthouse, etc, and a couple issues of an adult cartoon book called "From Sex to Sexty". Penthouse usually had "couples" pictorial each month but I don't remember any erections in it. The neighbor's father had more explicit stuff, that's where I saw my first erection (other than my own). I remember he had a couple issues of the short-lived "Oui" magazine which was a bit freer about showing men.

There were no sex education classes in my public schools, and my parents never talked to me about sex. I was a rather shy only child with few male friends, so I was in my teens before I learned how babies were made--I thought the male somehow inserted his penis into the woman's belly button. At 13, I realized from a Raymond Chandler novel I found at my grandmother's house that a man could put his penis in another man's mouth, but I never imagined anal sex was an option until my first adventure with another male at age 17. I went away to college a few months later, and between 17 and 18 I devoured every book I could find about sex, especially gay sex, so I could understand my life to come. At 19, having already had sex with numerous men, I sat my parents down and told them that I was gay. They looked at one another in puzzled silence for a moment, and then my mother said, "But, how do you know?"

I attended a small, rural, conservative public school. We had sex education in 8th grade (provided our parents signed off on it) which consisted mostly of some reading materials we were given. The local doctor came in one day to give us a talk and answer questions (no one had any that they felt comfortable asking in that environment). This was in the '60s at a time when Chuck Grassley was making a name for himself in the Iowa legislature crusading against sex education in public schools, which is one reason for my decades-long animus toward him.

Everything about sex I found out on my very own! ...was 16 or 17 and new nothing about masturbation. One day I lay on the bottom bunk bed and "went to town" on my hard, hot dick and exploded a huge load.

...became frightened but told no one or discussed. From then on I was "on to something" of which I had no previous knowledge in any manner. Again- what I know I uncovered by self.

[Grew up in a somewhat Puritanical home and overall environment; ...grew up in Puritanical America!]

I learned masturbation on my own. One day when I got home from 8th grade I went into the bathroom and got undressed and masturbated. When I got dressed I buttoned my shirt wrong. Put the buttons through the wrong holes so they were askew My mother noticed. She thought it must have been that way all day at school! ;-)))

Naw I gave them the birds and the bees story. The balked at the "then the rooster covers the hen and has his way with her...."

164663.jpg

We never did get to the bees.

Mine didn't. The only thing I remember them telling me as a boy was to sleep with my arms and hands outside the bed covers. I had no idea why. I do now! ;-)))

I can't remember exactly how old I was when I got my first sex talk, but I do remember it well. It was in the afternoon, and it was wintertime. I was with my dad behind the milking barn helping him fix the tracks that spread silage from the silo down the feeding trough for the cows as they were lining up to be milked. My "helping" at this age amounted to standing at the ready to fetch a wrench or whatever dad needed, so I had a lot of time to stare out into the distance.

As I was staring out into the field, I noticed two cows acting kinda funny towards each other, and I said, "Hey, Dad, look at those two cows wrestling!" And my Dad said, "Well, son, those cows aren't wrestling. They're having sex." To which I inquired right on queue, "Sex, what's that?"

"Well, sex is where babies come from," my dad told me, and he then proceeded to give me the whole biological breakdown of mammalian reproduction in broad strokes: penises, vaginas, sperm, eggs, fertilization, pregnancy, delivery. Up until that point, I'd never really given any thought to where babies came from, and the whole process seemed so wholly complicated and involved that it kinda blew my mind. "Cool!" I seem to recall saying, which got a chuckle out of my Dad. I would have never guessed it had he not told me.

• 7 months later...
Did Your Parents Give You The Talk About "The Birds And Bees"?

Can't remember where I heard it, but I've heard it said that kids growing up on a farm get a much easier time with this talk because they've probably seen the farm animals doing it at some point.

Or seen some of the farm hands doing the animals.

I grew up in a very fundamental/religious home. Around age 6 or so, I asked my mom where babies came from, and she told me that “the mommy” and “the daddy” pray together for a baby. Then the Almighty plants a seed in the mommy’s tummy. Well, that was enough at the time. So I figured out on my own that the exit must, of course, be the navel. By age 8, I’d had a thorough education by discovering my older brother’s adult magazine collection. He was a jock in school, and did a lot of weight lifting. So he also bought a lot of Strength and Health Bodybuilding magazines. By age 11, flipping through the pages of S&H, I was intrigued by all those muscular guys in the tight “posing straps”. Wasn’t much longer when those bodybuilding mags and I were trotting off to the bathroom for a little 5-finger workout. And the rest is history.

My mom tried to. Everything was going great, until I asked her what's the difference between making love and fucking. She got completely embarrassed and kept saying why you have to be so vulgar why do you have to be so crude. My dad on the other hand when we got older handed me The Joy of Sex and told us if we had any questions ask your mother.

Two males don't have to worry about where babies come from.. Being gay makes like so much simpler!

I wonder what gay culture around sex would look like if men could get pregnant from bottoming. I guess it would be like the straight community, with tops seeking would casual sex more often than bottoms. The difference, of course, would be that one could choose whether to be a top or bottom. In this scenario, the tops would be the best looking men because their partners would be willing to risk pregnancy to bottom for them.

I've posted before about how my father, a no-nonsense Naval officer, sat me down at 10 for a very complete rundown on sex and the changes that would come to my body, very explicitly explaining just about everything you can imagine-- erections, vaginas, intercourse, ejaculation, menstruation, masturbation, fertilization, wet dreams, body hair, growth spurts, everything. Including the smell of semen which he described as like Clorox. It was embarrassing but also a bonding experience. He even made the point that each partner should be thinking about the other one's pleasure, which I think embarrassed me the most for some reason.

I didn't have one single talk with my boys on sex, just answered their questions when they had them, and we always had frank and open discussions about it, so I believe they were the sources of information among their frends. I did make a point to tell them each about the changes hormones would bring, the increased importance of hygiene, etc. As they neared dating ages we had a safe sex talk. And I, too, told them each partner needs to think about the other one's pleasure.

Your father was very bright and astute.

• 2 years later...