Overused and empty words

actor61

Except when used as a variant of "en pointe" in ballet, which is a legit term that would be hard to get around, lol.

Speaking of French terms: I'm 1/2 American, 1/2 French, fully fluent in both languages. I go nuts when I hear Americans say croissANT for the pastry or biDAY for a bidet, the great ass cleaning bathroom appliance. In French, the accents are on the first syllables, so a croissANT is a CROISSant and a biDAY (bidet) is a BEEday. And it's not a coup de gras, it's a coup de grace. (Grace shot.) A coup de gras could be loosely translated as a shot of grease. A coup de grace is what it says: a grace shot.

I could go on and on but every time I hear someone in line in front of me at Starbucks ask for a croissANT, I want to yell.

Speaking of French terms: I'm 1/2 American, 1/2 French, fully fluent in both languages. I go nuts when I hear Americans say croissANT for the pastry or biDAY for a bidet, the great ass cleaning bathroom appliance. In French, the accents are on the first syllables, so a croissANT is a CROISSant and a biDAY (bidet) is a BEEday. And it's not a coup de gras, it's a coup de grace. (Grace shot.) A coup de gras could be loosely translated as a shot of grease. A coup de grace is what it says: a grace shot.

I could go on and on but every time I hear someone in line in front of me at Starbucks ask for a croissANT, I want to yell.

About 10 years ago, one of the fast food chains was promoting their new breakfast croissant. The pronunciation in their TV commercial was so stiltedly trying to be French that it was truly annoying. KWOssant, but sounding like they were talking through a handkerchief stuffed in their mouth.

My knowledge of French is more academic than practical, but isn't it really the case that there should be NO stresses in French? Except of course for expressive emphasis in a sentence - and particularly at the end of a sentence? So that technically it's neither croissANT nor CROISsant, but croissant?

English has very defined stresses, so yes, countering the usual stress (i.e. going more for CROISsant) would be an effective "correction," but wouldn't that really be just as wrong in true French?

Perhaps it has already been referenced, but I HATE the word cringeworthy.

I fvckin' hate it. I really, really do.

Oh, and when someone has been rambling for a while, trying to make some point, and then they punctuate their blathering with......."sooooooooooo.....yeah!" I guess they ran out of things to say so they're letting us know.

Perhaps it has already been referenced, but I HATE the word cringeworthy.

I fvckin' hate it. I really, really do.

Oh, and when someone has been rambling for a while, trying to make some point, and then they punctuate their blathering with......."sooooooooooo.....yeah!" I guess they ran out of things to say so they're letting us know.

I totally agree! that is sooooooooooo.....yeah! cringeworthy !!!

I hate hearing the word "issue" when the speaker really means "problem". Grr.

I had a psych major working for me in one of my later jobs. She said that in that context an issue is something that is there, but a problem is something that action is being taken to resolve. In a more general context, the Oxford dictionary has problem as one of the meanings of issue.

My knowledge of French is more academic than practical, but isn't it really the case that there should be NO stresses in French? Except of course for expressive emphasis in a sentence - and particularly at the end of a sentence? So that technically it's neither croissANT nor CROISsant, but croissant?

English has very defined stresses, so yes, countering the usual stress (i.e. going more for CROISsant) would be an effective "correction," but wouldn't that really be just as wrong in true French?

You're almost right. I was over stressing the emphases to make the point. My ears just hurt whenever I hear croissANT. A neutral pronunciation, as you point out, would be correct. Croissant. Bidet. CroissANT and biDAY are like nails on a chalk board to me.

About 10 years ago, one of the fast food chains was promoting their new breakfast croissant. The pronunciation in their TV commercial was so stiltedly trying to be French that it was truly annoying. KWOssant, but sounding like they were talking through a handkerchief stuffed in their mouth.

I remember that. I used to hit the mute button so fast I think I broke it.

Recently, on "Madame Secretary", an actor portrayed a French diplomat and spoke some dialogue in French. It was so bad that I barely understood a word. There are lots and lots of American and Canadian actors who speak French fluently and without an accent, including myself, so I don't understand why it's so difficult for casting agents to cast someone who can actually speak the language in a role that requires it.

Recently, on "Madame Secretary", an actor portrayed a French diplomat and spoke some dialogue in French. It was so bad that I barely understood a word. There are lots and lots of American and Canadian actors who speak French fluently and without an accent, including myself, so I don't understand why it's so difficult for casting agents to cast someone who can actually speak the language in a role that requires it.

I would also point out one important distinction.

Words do get assimilated as they pass from one language to another - it happens with English words in other countries as well as foreign words in ours. I haven't checked a dictionary, but I assume that "croissANT" as an assimilated American word is - like it or not, correct. It wouldn't be the way you'd want to say it on a trip to Paris, lol, but it may indeed be totally acceptable here. I know it may hurt your ears, but it is a part of how words change from language to language.

What we refer to as a "cal-zone" is not correct Italian either. But try to order a "cahl-tzo-nay" and you'll get odd looks lol.

BUT - as you rightly pointed out, if we're talking about actually speaking in a foreign tongue, like the French diplomat you mentioned, then yes, it should be accurate to the original language.

It's a little jarring for me when Americans say 'erb (for herb) and fillay for fillet. To me they are not just assimilated French words but English words in their own right. (They came from French to middle English.) Here both have all their letters pronounced, so the h and the t are both vocalised.

There are many words in English that are imported directly from another language, but have acquired a different pronunciation here, even British English words that are pronounced differently by Americans (e.g., think "clerk" pronounced by a New Yorker and a Londoner). Proper names are another "issue" (see Mike Carey's explanation above). I watch a lot of tennis on tv, and I cringe when I hear the American and British commentators' pronunciation of the players' non-English names.

On the ABC's talk network this morning, the presenter was talking to a China expert about the death of Liu Xiaobo, a prominent dissident, and mispronouncing his name. Mispronunciation of Chinese names is common. The one way that the network is far from conservative (not in the political sense, rather in how it adopts modern methods) is that it invites comments from listeners via text and tweets. In the course of the interview, the presenter raised the fact that tweeters had challenged her pronunciation and she clarified with the expert what was the correct way of saying Liu's name.

"To be honest with you....."

"Honestly"

Intended for emphasis. Or to convey that someone's going to be frank, speak candidly.....

I worked with a woman who, when people prefaced a comment with

"Well, to be honest with you....."

She'd interject, "aren't you always?"

So, while I rarely do it... when someone prefaces a comment or opinion with, "well, to tell you the truth....."

I'm often tempted to ask "don't you always?" or "when aren't you telling me the truth?"

"To be honest with you....."

"Honestly"

Intended for emphasis. Or to convey that someone's going to be frank, speak candidly.....

I worked with a woman who, when people prefaced a comment with

"Well, to be honest with you....."

She'd interject, "aren't you always?"

So, while I rarely do it... when someone prefaces a comment or opinion with, "well, to tell you the truth....."

I'm often tempted to ask "don't you always?" or "when aren't you telling me the truth?"

I do this, but what I should say is "to be frank" so it's clear that I'm stating something I might otherwise keep to myself.

It would be an over correction, but don't pronounce the t in any case.

In fact, as a rule of thumb don't pronounce the last letter of any word in French, you'll be far more likely to get it right than if you pronounce it.

It would be an over correction, but don't pronounce the t in any case.

In fact, as a rule of thumb don't pronounce the last letter of any word in French, you'll be far more likely to get it right than if you pronounce it.

You are right, @Tarte Gogo. Do not pronounce the last consonant in French words, except if it is followed by an E which, in many cases, indicates that the word changes to feminine. Example: petit (small in masculine gender) is pronounced PETEE, but petite (small in feminine) becomes PETEET. A final E is not pronounced either, except if it has a written accent on it, like in aimé, santé....The first word in your handle is therefore pronounced TART.

BTW, I am a native French speaker. :oops:

Edited by liubit

You are right, @Tarte Gogo. Do not pronounce the last consonant in French words, except if it is followed by an E which, in many cases, indicates that the word changes to feminine. Example: petit (small in masculine gender) is pronounced PETEE, but petite (small in feminine) becomes PETEET. A final E is not pronounced either, except if it has a written accent on it, like in aimé, santé....The first word in your handle is therefore pronounced TART.

BTW, I am a native French speaker. :oops:

So am I. Here's my last example of bad French - "bon appetEET". Even Julia Child said it that way and it's wrong. The final t is not pronounced. It's "bon appetee".

CROISSant

BEEday

Bon appetee

Coupe de grace

There. I'm done. You all stand corrected. Je vous souhaite une tres bonne journee.