A New Way to Combat "Manspreading"

rvwnsd
This topic is 1874 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great example of why conservatives hate liberals.

Men tend to spread their legs because

1. They have junk hanging between them
  2. We have been socialized since childhood that it is a more masculine position than sitting all prim and proper

Women tend to keep their legs together because

1. Their anatomy is conducive to that position
  2. They have been socialized since childhood to keep their legs together in a ladylike position

Spreading your legs on a crowded subway may be rude, but how the hell that becomes sexual assault I will never know. Can anyone explain the leap from one to the other?

I don't read or speak Spanish, but from watching the video, I don't think it was created to curb normal, everyday innocuous "manspreading" at all. Rather, what I got from the video was the "men only seat" was intended to let a man know what it would feel like to be subjected to male genitalia pressed up against them (just only one form of sexual harassment women have experienced on the subway).

Please don't spread confusion with misleading thread headers. Read the article. This has nothing to do with "manspreading." It's about raising awareness of the sexual harassment and assault that women experience on public transit in Mexico City every day.

The last paragraph even translates the plaque:

"To drive the point home, they placed a plaque on the floor in front of the anatomically explicit seat, which read, 'It's uncomfortable to sit here but not as uncomfortable as the sexual violence women suffer every day in their commute.'"

Was this an April Fool's post? :p

Edited by LivingnLA

Please don't spread fake news. Read the article. This has nothing to do with "manspreading." It's about raising awareness of the sexual harassment and assault that women experience on public transit in Mexico City every day.

"To drive the point home, they placed a plaque on the floor in front of the anatomically explicit seat, which read, 'It's uncomfortable to sit here but not as uncomfortable as the sexual violence women suffer every day in their commute.'"

No, It was not an April Fool's post and I am not spreading "fake news. The subject line was intended to be funny. If you look at several of the guys on the train, you will see they are sitting wth their legs spread wide. My guess is sitting on that subway seat would probably teach someone some manners in addition to teaching them not to grope women or stick their junk up against a woman's buttocks.

Edited by rvwnsd

I don't read or speak Spanish, but from watching the video, I don't think it was created to curb normal, everyday innocuous "manspreading" at all. Rather, what I got from the video was the "men only seat" was intended to let a man know what it would feel like to be subjected to male genitalia pressed up against them (just only one form of sexual harassment women have experienced on the subway).

That at least makes some sense. As long as it's clear to people of Mexico City, I guess it doesn't really matter that it's confusing as hell to some of us.

We should put seats like that in our headquarters, Military Academies and colleges.

That at least makes some sense. As long as it's clear to people of Mexico City, I guess it doesn't really matter that it's confusing as hell to some of us.

There is nothing confusing in the video or in the linked article, the Mexican campaign is very clear.

On one hand the confusion here comes because of the word choice in the thread subject. The campaign has nothing to do with manspreading. Zero.

On the other hand the confusion comes from not reading the article and jumping to assumptions from a misleading subject thread.

Who on God's green earth would fight AGAINST manspreading?

I think it should be MANDATORY!

And yes, I agree that this "campaign", "political statement"...or whatever it is....has nothing to do with manspreading.

It has to do with the "inappropriate" touching of strangers in public....an entirely different topic in my book.

(although I doubt feminists agree with me....and I'm ok with that).

I ride the Chicago "L" every day and witness non sexual man and woman spreading on every trip. Women tend to sit in one seat, put their purse on the one next to them and if they have a shopping bag and a third seat is free, then they deposit it there. Then, they pull out their cell phones and plug in their headsets so that they can ignore any comments or looks they might receive. And it's usually younger woman who do this. I have been on trains so crowded that you can barely move and still they won't relinquish the 2 seats occupied by their bags.

Man spreading is usually a sprawl. The guy slumps down in his seat, spreads his legs, then drapes his arm(s) over adjoining seats. If he has a backpack, that gets deposited on the empty seat next to him but for the most part, it's the full body sprawl that prevents you from taking the seat next to him.

I like the signs posted on the trains that say, "Did your purse buy a ticket?" that everybody ignores.

No, It was not an April Fool's post and I am not spreading "fake news. The subject line was intended to be funny. If you look at several of the guys on the train, you will see they are sitting wth their legs spread wide. My guess is sitting on that subway seat would probably teach someone some manners in addition to teaching them not to grope women or stick their junk up against a woman's buttocks.

Given the significant confusion in this thread, I believe the thread subject line is misleading and confusing, not funny. My point about calling it "fake news" is that some people didn't even read the article or watch the video before complaining about an attack on "manspreading." I adjusted my original post to clarify my point.

Edited by LivingnLA

This is a great example of why conservatives hate liberals.

Men tend to spread their legs because

1. They have junk hanging between them
  2. We have been socialized since childhood that it is a more masculine position than sitting all prim and proper

Women tend to keep their legs together because

1. Their anatomy is conducive to that position
  2. They have been socialized since childhood to keep their legs together in a ladylike position

Spreading your legs on a crowded subway may be rude, but how the hell that becomes sexual assault I will never know. Can anyone explain the leap from one to the other?

I agree men have a cock and that is one reason but the other reason that is not mentioned is it just feels good to spread my legs...women need to step the fuck back on this issue.

I will be considerate to riders of course but i dont need some bitch telling me how to be a man!

Please don't spread confusion with misleading thread headers. Read the article. This has nothing to do with "manspreading." It's about raising awareness of the sexual harassment and assault that women experience on public transit in Mexico City every day.

Though i didn't read the piece I might because of the comic short video and though there trying hard to convey a sexual assault issue it is really clear to me that there expressing there disgust for men and frankly trying to shame men for being a man! I am no way saying sexual aggressors are good.

Mexico needs to focus on other huge issues.

I really hope you mean you're tired of women being sexually harassed. I can't speak for them, but I think they're tired of this shit too.

I want to agree with you because I think we can all agree sexual assault and harassment is awful and not to be excused and frankly that is were were differ because I dont trust the whores because many of them make that shit up and many men go to prison on only there word alone and that goes for harassment also...I am sorry I need more than that and im done feeling sorry for the sex.

Also I find it a joke that in the artical they hand out whistles to the lady's to point out the men...what about a can of mace and a swift kick in the nuts and maybe the perp wont do that again.

I agree this artical is not about man spreading but the word its self makes me miffed...

I want to agree with you because I think we can all agree sexual assault and harassment is awful and not to be excused and frankly that is were were differ because I dont trust the whores because many of them make that shit up and many men go to prison on only there word alone and that goes for harassment also...I am sorry I need more than that and im done feeling sorry for the sex.

Also I find it a joke that in the artical they hand out whistles to the lady's to point out the men...what about a can of mace and a swift kick in the nuts and maybe the perp wont do that again.

I agree this artical is not about man spreading but the word its self makes me miffed...

You don't trust the "whores"? Is that how you refer to women? Disgusting.

@MGTOW_Tx, are you intentionally trying to be provocative or are you a troll? Each of the following 3 posts by you have deeply sexist and misogynistic language in them. Why?

I agree men have a cock and that is one reason but the other reason that is not mentioned is it just feels good to spread my legs...women need to step the fuck back on this issue.

I will be considerate to riders of course but i dont need some bitch telling me how to be a man!

Please dial down your woman-hating. Nothing in the article or video has anything to do with "manspreading." And even if they did, what's with the hostile language?

Though i didn't read the piece I might because of the comic short video and though there trying hard to convey a sexual assault issue it is really clear to me that there expressing there disgust for men and frankly trying to shame men for being a man! I am no way saying sexual aggressors are good.

Mexico needs to focus on other huge issues.

What?! There's nothing in the article or video that expresses "disgust for men" or tries to "shame men for being a man." Unless, you're suggesting sexual harassment and assault are part of being "a man?" Because if that's your argument, you're full of BS. Real men treat women with respect and consideration. We don't need to or want to abuse them, harass them, or assault them. We recognize they are human beings just like us and deserve equal consideration and treatment.

"Whores?!" Are you kidding? You must be a troll. There are no reliable statistics one way or the other. As statisticians say, these are "dark numbers" because our society is terrible about tracking, report, and measuring sexual harassment and assault, let alone the number of those reports that may be retracted for a whole host of reasons. Further, we know from decent studies that sexual harassment and assault are grossly under-reported because women--and men--who are victimized face crazy hostility and disbelief from people like you.