Summer Vacation Ideas - Russia or Eastern Eurpoe

azhiker
This topic is 1960 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Trying to figure out what part of the world I want to see this year. With all the Russia talk, I think Americans would be more welcome there. Would like to see Moscow, but Prague offers more of a relaxing vacation. Any of you in the forum been to Russia recently? Standing in Red Square has always been on bucket list.

I consider the bridge in London that a Utah man was killed on to be the essence of a London trip. Sad. Been there many times. I am not going to allow terrorism to stop me from seeing the world. So any thoughts on Russia trips or Eastern Europe?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to figure out what part of the world I want to see this year. With all the Russia talk, I think Americans would be more welcome there. Would like to see Moscow, but Prague offers more of a relaxing vacation. Any of you in the forum been to Russia recently? Standing in Red Square has always been on bucket list.

I consider the bridge in London that a Utah man was killed on to be the essence of a London trip. Sad. Been there many times. I am not going to allow terrorism to stop me from seeing the world. So any thoughts on Russia trips or Eastern Europe?

you can't compared Moscow and Prague or certainly how folks in those cities see our new president.

Make sure to wear a "Make America Great Again" hat in Moscow and you'll be notices as a Russian-loving American, but don't wear it in Ukraine, the Baltic Countries, etc.

@azhiker I know a couple who did what they called terrorism inspired tourism. They travel to Paris after the attack of 2016, they found it cheaper, not so crowded and the hotels loved having tourists unafraid of the recent tragedy.

Though I was tired from Western Europe, I really liked Eastern Europe also. Hungary and the Czech Republic were beautiful as were its men. When I was there, the men were really nice, although many did not speak English. However, money filled in the gaps. I don't know if Austria is considered Eastern Europe (don't think so) but it is one of my favorite countries in the world. Unfortunately, I have not been to Russia so cannot speak about it. From what I have seen, the architecture and men are beautiful. However, I am not sure how conducive to what you may want to do the political climate is today.

Unfortunately, I have not been to Russia so cannot speak about it. From what I have seen, the architecture and men are beautiful. However, I am not sure how conducive to what you may want to do the political climate is today

Do not worry about the political climate in Russia. The average Russian does not care much about the political climate in the U.S.

I would suggest St. Petersburg rather than Moscow though, just to be sure. Petersburg has one of the world's greatest museums, The Hermitage.

Certainly, Prague would be the safest bet.

Few Russians speak English, so simple things like eating in restaurants are difficult.

I flew from Russian to Munich. It was a culture shock; Russia is a third world country compared to Germany. In many ways, Russia is a third world country compared to the countries that were part of Yugoslavia, even Bosnia.

I second WilliamM's preference for St Petersburg, provided you can find a relatively easy way to obtain a Russian visa. I'd also suggest you consider Berlin (if you haven't visited), Prague and smaller cities such as Krakow and Tallinn.

And in response to TruthBTold asking about Austria, they consider it to be in the heart of Europe. Many people in the former Communist-controlled countries, which we term Eastern Europe, say that they live in Central Europe.

Do not worry about the political climate in Russia. The average Russian does not care much about the political climate in the U.S.

I suppose TruthBTold's 'politcal climate' is the protest in Russia against Putin and Medvedev.

Besides the museums you suggest, Repin Acedemy of Fine Arts is also a good option.

I second WilliamM's preference for St Petersburg, provided you can find a relatively easy way to obtain a Russian visa.

I completed the application and arranged to have a company that sponsors tour obtain a visa. I had to send my passport as well. I received the visa by mail in a few days. Someone suggested I do research on Rich Steve's site, which includes Russia. My guess is that is where I learn about tour group services for those not on a tour.

I second WilliamM's preference for St Petersburg, provided you can find a relatively easy way to obtain a Russian visa. I'd also suggest you consider Berlin (if you haven't visited), Prague and smaller cities such as Krakow and Tallinn.

And in response to TruthBTold asking about Austria, they consider it to be in the heart of Europe. Many people in the former Communist-controlled countries, which we term Eastern Europe, say that they live in Central Europe.

This is especially true for the Czechs, who HATE being told that their country is in Eastern Europe. They correctly point out that Prague is quite further West than Vienna.

This is especially true for the Czechs, who HATE being told that their country is in Eastern Europe. They correctly point out that Prague is quite further West than Vienna.

True about Prague further west than Vienna. But Austria borders Switzerland on the west. Prague and Vienna are world-class cities.

Vienna is far ahead of Prague in classical music, including opera as well as art museums.

But, Prague is a wonderful city as well

Austria borders Switzerland, sure, but the Czech Republic is almost surrounded by Germany and Austria. Even in Cold War times, Czechoslovakia had borders with both East and West Germany...

Edited by liubit

Prague (The Fairytale City) is one my favorite cities. I also enjoyed Budapest.

Bratislava is also lovely, at least the old town area and the area around the castle. If you cross the Danube you are still in the city, but its a totally different place, full of hideous housing blocks build during the Communist era. The Danubiana Art Museum is a must-see, situated in a lovely setting on the Danube at the intersection of Slovakia, Hungary and Austria.

At the end of WW2, control of Austria was divided among the Allies, just as Germany was. If the Russians hadn't agreed to withdraw in 1955, the country would have been balkanized the way Germany was into East and West Germany, and eastern Austria would have been another Iron Curtain/Warsaw Pact country. It actually took a long time for Austria to recover and become a part of "Western Europe." Vienna in particular has always been filled with people whose ethnic and cultural background is Eastern European.

Czechoslovakia was an artificial post-WW1 creation. Before the war, it was part of the Hapsburg Empire, and Bohemia and Moravia had been run by the Germanic Austrians, while Slovakia was run from Budapest by the Hungarians. Prague for centuries assertively identified itself as a Western European city, and still does.

At the end of WW2, control of Austria was divided among the Allies, just as Germany was. If the Russians hadn't agreed to withdraw in 1955, the country would have been balkanized the way Germany was into East and West Germany, and eastern Austria would have been another Iron Curtain/Warsaw Pact country. It actually took a long time for Austria to recover and become a part of "Western Europe." Vienna in particular has always been filled with people whose ethnic and cultural background is Eastern European.

I agree with everything you wrote. For me. I would rather live in Prague than Vienna.

Edited by WilliamM

Czechoslovakia was an artificial post-WW1 creation. Before the war, it was part of the Hapsburg Empire, and Bohemia and Moravia had been run by the Germanic Austrians, while Slovakia was run from Budapest by the Hungarians. Prague for centuries assertively identified itself as a Western European city, and still does.

I never knew this. I believe that much of Austria, in particular Vienna, was destroyed during WWII. I recall going into meticulously restored buildings and being amazed at the "before" and "after" pictures. Prague, on the other hand, I think by agreement of the powers (because of its architecture) was spared much of the destruction.

Croatia!

Nude cruise around The Dalmatian coastline. Huddle up on Hvar and enjoy the beach with hot men bringing food to you.

Highly recommended

My Italian cousins live in San Benedetto del Tronto on the Italian Adriatic coast. I have visited them and spoken to them about retiring to the area. They have spoken to me about the beauty of the Croatian coast and the easy ability to take ferries to the beaches. I don't think they remarked about the abundance of gay men bringing food while you laid in the sand. However, now I know the true worth. Thanks

My Italian cousins live in San Benedetto del Tronto on the Italian Adriatic coast. I have visited them and spoken to them about retiring to the area. They have spoken to me about the beauty of the Croatian coast and the easy ability to take ferries to the beaches. I don't think they remarked about the abundance of gay men bringing food while you laid in the sand. However, now I know the true worth. Thanks

Well, I didn't say they were all gay, but they sure are awfully cute. Lol

I never knew this. I believe that much of Austria, in particular Vienna, was destroyed during WWII. I recall going into meticulously restored buildings and being amazed at the "before" and "after" pictures. Prague, on the other hand, I think by agreement of the powers (because of its architecture) was spared much of the destruction.

When I first visited Vienna in 1971, it didn't look like it had when "The Third Man" was filmed, but there still were signs of the war damage, even in the central city. A decade later, it looked like any other prosperous western European city. Prague had been spared damage in the war (Hitler intended to maintain it as a kind of outdoor museum, especially the Jewish quarter, once he had conquered Europe), but it was pretty grim under the Communists until 1989. I remember going into a Prague restaurant in 1978, and paying for butter as a separate item on the menu.

Wherever you decide to go, do make sure to actually see, learn about and enjoy the country you're visiting: I scratch my head at people who travel for 30 hours, only to be fully consumed by getting laid or cruising a gay bar that looks exactly like what you can get most anywhere in the States.

Traveling to me is about exiting your bubble and possibly learning something you didn't know before. Call me crazy ;)

My vote would be to go to Moscow or Saint Petersburg. They're both fascinating and beautiful. The visa isn't tough to get. Just some easy paperwork, or if you want to streamline it further, you can have a third-party expeditor do it all for you.

A friend and I drove from Zagreb to Dubrovnik along the Adriatic coast, which includes a small part of Bosnia. The city of Mostar, Bosnia (near Sarajevo) seemed more gay than the Croatian Islands.

Wherever you decide to go, do make sure to actually see, learn about and enjoy the country you're visiting: I scratch my head at people who travel for 30 hours, only to be fully consumed by getting laid or cruising a gay bar that looks exactly like what you can get most anywhere in the States. Traveling to me is about exiting your bubble and possibly learning something you didn't know before. Call me crazy ;)

My vote would be to go to Moscow or Saint Petersburg. They're both fascinating and beautiful. The visa isn't tough to get. Just some easy paperwork, or if you want to streamline it further, you can have a third-party expeditor do it all for you.

Wherever I go I generally see the country. If I can possibly afford it, I hire a professional to show me the sights. I have found that they often have "connections" that can get into museums,etc., much more quickly. Sometimes, as in Brasil, I have been lucky enough to get a gay professional and they have been able to show me the usual sights in the city and any gay sights I might be interested in. And then, they have sometimes "introduced" me to people I might want to meet. Of course, the bottom line was not to get them in trouble.