Mary Tyler Moore dies at 80

deej
This topic is 2663 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember as a kid growing up in the 70s, Saturday nights belonged to CBS. Prime time started with All in The Family followed by other great shows like the Bob Newhart Show and, of course, the Mary Tyler Moore show. Moore was a fantastic actor.

I remember as a kid growing up in the 70s, Saturday nights belonged to CBS. Prime time started with All in The Family followed by other great shows like the Bob Newhart Show and, of course, the Mary Tyler Moore show. Moore was a fantastic actor.

I remember, too, as a kid, that legendary lineup of comedy. Miss those old days of quality TV.

Wow. It felt like she'd be with us forever. It's so weird that I knew exactly who she was and what shows she was on even though I didn't watch any of them. It was a more homogeneous society, with all the ill consequences that engenders, but there is less of a shared culture these days. I couldn't name half the TV shows that air, especially if you include streaming services, let alone any of the actors.

She was a talented, effervescent woman. She'll be missed.

It always amazed me how many of her fantastic cohorts are still with us, all older than she was by 10 years or so: Dick Van Dyke, Betty White, Carl Reiner, Cloris Leechman, Ed Asner, Gavin MacLoud. Even Rose Marie and Nanette Fabray (who played her mother). Her long-time husband Grant Tinker just passed away a month or two ago, aged 90. She really was the baby of the group.

Sad news indeed.

From MTM's final monologue as Mary Richards: "But last night I thought what is family anyway? It's the people who make you feel less alone and really loved. And that's what you've done for me. Thank you for beginning MY family."

What a lovely sentiment.

On a brighter note, Mary Richards singing "One For My Baby":

Wow. It felt like she'd be with us forever. It's so weird that I knew exactly who she was and what shows she was on even though I didn't watch any of them. It was a more homogeneous society, with all the ill consequences that engenders, but there is less of a shared culture these days. I couldn't name half the TV shows that air, especially if you include streaming services, let alone any of the actors.

She was a talented, effervescent woman. She'll be missed.

Just wondering-you never watched The Dick Van Dyke Show? (of course you may have been too young.) But during the 1970-1980's I'm sure it was on in the afternoons or late at night when they ran re-runs. And then the Mary Tyler Moore Show was a staple from 1970 to 77. And again a very popular show on re-runs or on Nick-At-Night/TVLand when the stations 1st started.

I'll agree with you about the fractionation of society and not knowing most of the new shows. I pretty much stopped watching TV on a routine basis 8 years ago. I'm not militantly against TV. I still like it. It's more due to my current circumstances.

Gman

I remember the very first episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show:

Lou Grant: "Mary, you've got spunk."

Mary Richards: "Oh, thank you, Mr. Grant."

Lou Grant: "I hate spunk."

I'm with Lou. I hate 'spunk' too. But I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. :p

Gman

I remember my mother commenting on Laura Petrie wearing capris and sweaters, which more closely resembled how real housewives dressed in the early 60s. She always thought that June Cleaver and Donna Reed in their pearls and heels making dinner and cleaning house was ridiculous.

It is hard today for younger people to understand how ground breaking The Mary Tyler Moore show was. A show centered on a single career woman, with women as her primary friends. The divine Betty White as perhaps the first overtly sexual woman on television. It was all pretty amazing for the time. When I watch clips, especially the "Chuckles" funeral episode, the writing was really good.

Don't forget her riveting portrayal of an extremely damaged and unpleasant woman in Ordinary People. It got her an Academy Award nomination.

Another icon of my youth gone.

Just wondering-you never watched The Dick Van Dyke Show? (of course you may have been too young.) But during the 1970-1980's I'm sure it was on in the afternoons or late at night when they ran re-runs. And then the Mary Tyler Moore Show was a staple from 1970 to 77. And again a very popular show on re-runs or on Nick-At-Night/TVLand when the stations 1st started.

Gman

I'm sure I caught one or two episodes when they were on in the afternoon, but only as a fluke, so I doubt I ever saw a complete one. They made a cute couple.

It ran from when I was 6 until I was 10 and no, I never watched it then. I had decided preferences in TV shows and only watched a few. (One was My Mother the Car.) Moreover, I watched more TV than my parents put together. The NBC Nightly News with Huntley and Brinkley, Bonanza, and possibly the Wonderful World of Disney were the only shows more than one of us watched.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/mary-tyler-moore-in-the-lead-role-shares-a-scene-with-james-naughton-picture-id517285658

Mary Tyler Moore on Broadway in "Whose Life Is It Anyway." Although I saw her in the play in 1980, I forgot the plot. Thanks Internet. Mary played a women who was paralysed from the neck down in a car accident. She won a special Tony Award. Mary was very good. But, frankly it was a relief when she walked out on stage to applause when the play was over

Archived