Mary Tyler Moore dies at 80

deej
This topic is 2663 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

>>>>I wrote about this in another forum, but last night's tribute to MTM hosted by Gayle King was a travesty. The first 30 minutes were spent listening to that windbag Oprah Winfrey gassing on about Tyler Moore, whom she had only met a couple of times in her life. The conversation basically became about how brilliant Oprah was because she had watched Mary on Saturday nights in the 1970s while she conditioned her hair. I need Oprah Winfrey and Kellyanne Conway to buy a house together on an island far, far away from the rest of us so we never have to hear their voices again.<<<<

Last night 20/20 devoted their whole show to an MTM tribute and it was far more insightful and better produced than the CBS tribute.

I remember once reading somewhere a comparison between I LOVE LUCY and THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW. It said that if it had been Lucy Ricardo who ran out of Veal Prince Orlaf, she would have crawled out the window, climbed down the fire escape and somehow frantically wrangled another dinner. As opposed to the genuine funny reactions on MTM.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember once reading somewhere a comparison between I LOVE LUCY and THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW. It said that if it had been Lucy Ricardo who ran out of Veal Prince Orlaf, she would have crawled out the window, climbed down the fire escape and somehow frantically wrangled another dinner. As opposed to the genuine funny reactions on MTM.

I was a child when "I Love Lucy" was broadcast, starting in 1951. Once the show was rated #1 and stayed there, CBS and Desilu would have been crazy to focus on anyone but Lucille Ball. By the time Mary Tyler Moore's show started in 1970, television was very different

Is this turning into a little battle about who was better - Lucy or Mary? Puts me in mind of the book The Sensuous Man where the author (someone with the mysterious name "M") compared masturbation with sex with another person. The comparison involved tuna and lobster, the point being that just because you may prefer lobster to tuna doesn't mean you can't enjoy both. Both Lucy and Mary made me laugh (uncontrollably at times) and for that gift I am grateful to both.

As the OP, I'd like to clarify. Liking Lucy or Mary better is a matter of taste, not a matter of talent. Lucy was a genius at what she did, and MTM was certainly a class act. I personally preferred Mary's style to Lucy's, that's all. I really liked Lucy as an actress - "The Big Street" is one of my favorite films and she is very fine in it. Her performance in "Critic's Choice" is also very good, although it has Bob Hope as her costar and I never liked him in anything. Again, a matter of taste.

I need Oprah Winfrey and Kellyanne Conway to buy a house together on an island far, far away from the rest of us so we never have to hear their voices again.

Sorry but Conway doesn't deserve to even stay in the guesthouse on the far, windward side of the island that O owns.

I never thought of it as a competition between Lucy and MTM. Vastly different, vastly talented. When either one of them are on screen I can't turn it off.

This.

Late at night, when I'm just scrolling through channels looking for something watchable, I stop at either Lucy or MTM. I spend a few minutes in happy and then turn off the TV and go to bed.

They're different, they're both trail-blazers, and they both made me laugh (and still do).

Is this turning into a little battle about who was better - Lucy or Mary? Puts me in mind of the book The Sensuous Man where the author (someone with the mysterious name "M") compared masturbation with sex with another person. The comparison involved tuna and lobster, the point being that just because you may prefer lobster to tuna doesn't mean you can't enjoy both. Both Lucy and Mary made me laugh (uncontrollably at times) and for that gift I am grateful to both.

I remember that line (I snuck into my parents' bedroom and read both "The Sensuous Man" and "The Sensuous Woman") and have used it often. I do like fancy food, but damn, sometimes the 49-cent box of Mac & Cheese hits the spot.

Archived