Bad Ass Gays

Cash4Trash
This topic is 2818 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Again I am struck by how far we have come so quickly. This show would have been impossible just a few years ago. That crashing sound is stereotypes falling! Older gays are kind of stunned I think, and younger gays, as they should, accept it as their right to the pursuit of happiness. Just don't ever forget our past and speak out for other groups who are denied their civil rights. Legalize adult, voluntary sex work now.

Again I am struck by how far we have come so quickly. This show would have been impossible just a few years ago. That crashing sound is stereotypes falling! Older gays are kind of stunned I think, and younger gays, as they should, accept it as their right to the pursuit of happiness. Just don't ever forget our past and speak out for other groups who are denied their civil rights. Legalize adult, voluntary sex work now.

When I was growing up I thought all gay men were limp wristed sissies. One time I went to gay bar and saw drag queens and leather men walking out and I bolted in terror. Years later I walked back in and saw some normal people and was thrilled.

Things certainly have changed at a lightening pace. Makes you wonder what the next twenty years will be like. Gay Ghettos and even Gay identity will be a thing of the past or at least on a much smaller scale. Many minority groups went through the same transition.

The show actually premiered on November 11, 2014. So...the show was possible a few years ago. :) I wasn't able to locate it on the Logo website, but apparently it is available on Amazon Prime and other outlets.

Nonetheless, it is refreshing to see a documentary on gay men that revolves around something other than stereotypically gay professions and recreational activities.

Great find, @Cash4Trash

I suppose the passing of the Gay Ghetto will be met with mixed reaction. There is a comfort in being in a neighborhood in which you are not the gay man in the neighborhood but just a man in the neighborhood. While gay men and women will not doubt be more accepted, they will still be a minority and to some extent, will still be singled out. I am sure a Chinese man in Chinatown NYC feels somehow, perhaps almost imperceptibly different than when he is in Harlem or Midtown or Greenpoint. Gay individuals will likely have a similar experience.

There are times when one wants to blend in and there are times when one wants to stand out and then there are times that one just wants to be, without concerning themselves with blending or standing out. Ghettos in general afford that option to those who want to have a place where everyone doesn't necessarily know your name, but they know your experience or a least a part of it.

more of this and less of ru paul would really help this network.

+100

drag race is filling the community with nonsense lingo. young gay men who speak like drag queens are not a turn on

viceland network has much better gay content by far. logo should be ashamed to how the pander to the community at the most basic level

I predict that gay men will become as boring/not boring as the rest of the population as assimilation proceeds. Having the status of outlaws accentuated what was special and unique about gay men and the gay experience. It was always whacky, surprising, fun. It never ceased to cause me to shake my head in wonderment and say to myself, "Fags! What will they think of next?"

Now that the glass ceiling has shattered and gay guys can be CEOs, sports stars, parents, etc. we will lose that special edge we had as outlaws. Assimilation, of course, in the long view, is a good thing, it's the just thing, but it has its costs.

Well I think to an extent there will always be SOME gayborhoods. The fact is most people are straight, so if we're going to be able to have dating options we tend to need to cluster in population centers.

I hope so. I love gayhoods! Great shops and food, friendly people and eye candy!

Archived