Public urinals

bigjoey
This topic is 2022 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In large swaths of Europe there is a single room with sinks lined with single person toilet rooms with real walls. Problem solved.

In terms of squat toilets you indeed see them all over SE Asia and also parts of Southern Europe. In Asia you'll often see both squat and western options in a single facility.

For those of you interested in such things, I recommend urinal.net which has hundreds of pics of unusual fixtures.

I lived in Europe in the early 70's. The squat toilets were common in Eastern and Southern Europe. France had unisex restrooms even back then.

Flush toilets were very peculiar - they didn't have water in them. When you took a dump, the shit just plopped on the bottom of the bowl. When you flushed, it never completely flushed away all the shit, so they were always filthy and smelled bad.

In Germany, the stalls had locking doors and floor-ceiling walls and were so solidly constructed that you couldn't even hear your neighbor (leave it to those Germans to think of everything).

Men's urinals were often a wall faced with tile and a trough with a drain where the floor and the wall met.

European toilet paper, even in western Europe was more like wrapping paper and in the more primitive countries was almost like sandpaper.

Yep, relieving yourself was always an adventure.

I love the toilets where the toilet seat that you sat on was covered with paper. You sat and did your thing. Then you got up, wiped, and flushed. When you flushed a new sheet of paper wound around the toilet seat for the next person to sit on. Luxury.

I first encountered that on a Shinkansen train in Japan, but I have rarely seen it anywhere else.

Squat toilets are the more natural way. when you shit outside is your natural inclination to hold your ass a foot off the ground or to squat. toilets are weird. we poop in pools of water for no good reason.

all that said. when I visited morocco at 21, i was constipated the entire week. i could not relax over their squat toilets. Now when I encounter them, japan italy etc, I'm A O K.

You need Squatty Potty. http://www.squattypotty.com

And if we decide to go #1 or #2 in outer space, here is something to look forward to...

PS- please read the fine print...scraper tools? :eek:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/06/19/article-0-1A65D6E4000005DC-505_964x638.jpg

Actually I look at the toilets and imagine the possibilities for those so inclined. Sure it may require accompanying lube recepticals but that is what America is good at. Innovation.

Edited by TruthBTold

I love the toilets where the toilet seat that you sat on was covered with paper. You sat and did your thing. Then you got up, wiped, and flushed. When you flushed a new sheet of paper wound around the toilet seat for the next person to sit on. Luxury.

I was in Phoenix a couple of years ago for a conference --- and the toilets in the airport, the hotel and various restaurants/bars had plastic (like saran wrap) covers that automatically changed as soon as you stood up -- a little bit creepy and a little bit

sticky because it was July in Phoenix and the temp range was 113-117 degrees all week day and night and there were daily rainshowers so it was humid ----- Made me glad to be home to shit on my own toilet!

• 2 years later...
There were also many in Milan, Italy when I grew up there. They were called "Vespasiani", from Roman Emperor Vespasian (who built the Colosseum..), and some I remember were known to be especially at night cruising spots for naughty men. They were common throghout Italy and other Mediterrenean Countries.

This is one of the very few remained:

http://www.italiannotebook.com/new/wp-content/uploads/DSCN5042.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecunia_non_olet