Public urinals

bigjoey
This topic is 2022 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Question for [uSER=3916]@xafnndapp[/uSER] or others who have recently been to Italy or Europe:

Do they still have Squat Toilets as they did in some places years ago?!?! They consisted simply of porcelain footprints and a squat-and-aim hole. They were also known as Turkish style toilets.

I personally prefer the " throne approach"! ;)

Of course I remember them, especially on trains! Even if they say that it's the most "natural" position to take a dump, I always hated them! I have never seen one anymore in many years, but it doesn't mean they possibly could still be found in some small village, in a toilet of a "bar" you would go for a caffè and a dump....

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for [uSER=3916]@xafnndapp[/uSER] or others who have recently been to Italy or Europe:

Do they still have Squat Toilets as they did in some places years ago?!?! They consisted simply of porcelain footprints and a squat-and-aim hole. They were also known as Turkish style toilets.

These exist in China today. If their solders have as bad an aim as the men who use them, we have nothing to fear from their military; the floor around the hole is almost always wet with urine.

From a decorative standpoint, maybe we should think about something more artsy? Maybe even musical?

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_kIWY2DV0KnE/SgOwgY-qhxI/AAAAAAAADU4/1T3UTDlCKpY/Musical%20instrument%20urinals.jpg

In Hong Kong at the Felix restaurant at the top of the Peninsula Hotel, the Philippe Starck men's room has urinals that look like the main part without the tubes (like a big funnel). The wall behind the urinals is all glass so you get the sensation of pissing on the city of Hong Kong below!

In Hong Kong at the Felix restaurant at the top of the Peninsula Hotel, the Philippe Starck men's room has urinals that look like the main part without the tubes (like a big funnel). The wall behind the urinals is all glass so you get the sensation of pissing on the city of Hong Kong below!

And now, for a visual! ;)

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/81/78/c5/8178c53c1ebeed601411723a2b693bde.jpg

And now, for a visual! ;)

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/81/78/c5/8178c53c1ebeed601411723a2b693bde.jpg

It looks as though one might get a sunburn on parts on which the sun usually does not shine if one takes too long or needs to go a bit too often!!!

I first encountered these as a young man in a Turkish bathhouse in Paris, and it took me a minute to understand what I was supposed to do. Later I found something similar in rural India. I haven't seen one of them for many years.

I lived in Paris as a student, and had a room with shared facilities on the hallway. The toilet was exactly in the "Turkish style" described. Urinating was easy enough, but it took me some time to get used to taking a dump there. Good squatting workout every day. Believe me, you don't spend more time than what is strictly necessary.

And yes, many cafes in Paris still have them nowadays.

While this urinal in Oslo is sure to provoke shrinkage, it will also help you get a good look at your junk.

Gothic_urinal_in_the_men%27s_room_at_The_Mini_Bottle_Museum_in_Oslo%2C_Norway.jpg

This somewhat reminds me of a chastity belt that I recall seeing on display at the Doge's Palace in Venice quite

a number of years ago! :eek:

However, the mirrors are a nice touch!

Do they still have Squat Toilets as they did in some places years ago?!?!

My first trip to Japan I encountered the squat toilets (or what I think you mean). An elongated porcelain receptacle imbedded into the floor of the restroom. I quickly learned to look for the doors in bathrooms that said "western toilet".

I first encountered the squat toilet years ago in Italy and they were referenced as Turkish Style public restrooms and were usually associated with lesser venues. This is what I recall that they looked like with a place to plant your feet. Good for doing number one in my book and not much more. I recall that the women hated them even for that!

squat-toilet.jpg

I was squatting over a Turkish Toilet in rural France in 1968 in a small toilet room off the dining area of a cafe when the door unexpectedly swung open. There I was. There were the diners. I was, so to speak, in the saddle, with the my hands clutching the little handles mounted on the wall and my bare ass suspended over the oubliette. Nous nous regardons. We observed each other in silence! Bonsoir, Monsieurs et madames!

My traveling companion closed the door,and conversation resumed. I stayed in the toilet room for a very LONG tine. I have been been impervious to embarrassment since.

Squat toilets are the more natural way. when you shit outside is your natural inclination to hold your ass a foot off the ground or to squat. toilets are weird. we poop in pools of water for no good reason.

all that said. when I visited morocco at 21, i was constipated the entire week. i could not relax over their squat toilets. Now when I encounter them, japan italy etc, I'm A O K.

It'll all be stalls in a decade given how pee shy many millennial men are in America. Couple that with the growing awareness of trans-issues and the result in some areas are large unisex bathrooms with individual urinals in stalls on one side and individual toilets in stalls on the other.