A nice watch is not a status symbol to those who can truly afford it.

dutchmuch
This topic is 2394 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The best watch I have ever owned is my Citizen Eco-Drive, because it never needs a new battery. But I don't like to wear it when I am playing tennis. So I bought a $20 Casio watch at Target to wear while I play. I am wearing it now, although my match ended six hours ago, because it works as well as any watch I have ever owned, and--because it is mostly cheap plastic--it is so lightweight that I forget I have it on. In fact, I wear it almost all the time, except when I want to look a bit dressier, although I doubt that many people notice the nice leather band on the Citizen, which cost three times as much as the entire Casio (and has to be replaced every couple of years).

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I'm dangerous with sunglasses and watches - dropping them, breaking them, losing them - so I stick with just a plain old Timex....;)

That's one of the reasons I have never gotten into expensive watches. The poor things would be pulverized. Prior to its acquisition by Fossil, I liked Skagen watches. Simply styled and took a beating. After the acquisition the quality sipped and I will no longer buy them. Not that I need to, i already have 6 of them.

Some months ago, I trundled over to the Palace of the Legion of Honor to see the work of Abraham-Louis Breguet, the father of modern horology who plied his trade for a half-century, beginning in 1775. I had misread the announcement and thought it said “the father of modern whorology”, so imagine my surprise to find myself surrounded by nothing but timepieces! http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

My disappointment was short-lived, however, as the items on display were truly spectacular, not only for their beauty, but for the technical advances contained in every one. For example, Breguet invented the self-winding watch, the first wristwatch, and the tourbillon, a mechanism to improve accuracy by counteracting the effects of gravity.

http://www.luxosonline.pt/empresas/images/4b58da68bb91e8eef0f65fb88bcbdd7c.png

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/arieladams/files/2015/08/Breguet-watches-Legion-of-Honor-San-Francisco-2.jpg

http://www.luxosonline.pt/empresas/images/1b089f8717a77cbf080d538aefc006e0.png

9a7242676103b45eabba821acb5d08cd?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&auto=format&ch=Width%2CDPR%2CSave-Data&fit=crop&fm=jpg&q=55&usm=12&w=580&s=d490499530cd50a1b5354aab31f1f31c

His stuff was special and pricy, not so much because of lavish adornment, though they were awfully pretty to look at, but because of all the technology he crammed into them.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HKlZkDiqkDE/VfJHS0Es3vI/AAAAAAAAsYg/y9bmuaxvFkA/s1600/Breguet-N%25C2%25AF1328_Timekeeper-%25281%2529.jpg

The one he made for Marie-Antoinette was self-winding with a 48-hour power reserve and included a perpetual calendar, a minute chime, a chronograph, and a thermometer! It had 823 parts and a clear case so the wearer could enjoy eying the internal workings. http://community.runnersworld.com/fileSendAction/fcType/12/fcOid/3123695861785910/fodoid/3123695861785911/imageType/MINI_THUMBNAIL/inlineImage/true/emo-surprise.gif

It was completed long after Marie-Antoinette had seen the workings of the guillotine, and passed through a number of hands until it wound up in a Jerusalem museum from which it was snatched by Israel’s leading gonif. After his death in 2007, his widow returned it. It’s now back in the museum and worth north of $30 million.

The Marie-Antoinette watch I saw was a replica, completed by the company in 2008 with the help of original technical drawings still in the archives.

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/aliciaadamczyk/files/2014/10/Breguet_1160_lg.jpg

A work of art in its own right, the new Marie-Antoinette perpétuelle, or self-winding, watch features a minute repeater that on command strikes hours, quarters and minutes as well as a full perpetual calendar showing the date, the day and the month at two, six and eight o’clock respectively. At ten o’clock, an equation-of-time display expresses the difference between civil and solar time. At centre, jumping hours and a minute hand accompany a large independent seconds hand, the forerunner to the chronograph hand, while a subdial for the running seconds is situated at six o’clock. A 48-hour power-reserve indicator and a bimetallic thermometer are positioned side by side.

Tempted though I was to distract the museum guard and slide it down my décolletage, I had to remind myself that it was merely a cheaper knock-off of the original.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. http://s2.subirimagenes.com/emoticonos/previo/thump_5427683ojitos1.gif

http://www.makemybeauty.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/101024_Jamie-004644-682x1024.jpg

It's just a time piece to me dahlings. Introducing my new Rolex Daytona! Try to get even get one you Rolex thrashers!

Congrats on your new purchase, Dutch.

For me a watch doesnt have to do more than tell the time, and it dont need to cost 10K to do it !

Of course it shouldn't cost 10K.

Patek-Philippe-5170g-001-Chronograph-review-4.jpg

I bought a $20 Casio watch at Target to wear

the only watch I've owned for years....Target Casio $20.....it even seems to know the month and year right out of the box (no monthly resetting the date).....the cheap plastic band breaks first....don't know whether it's cheaper to get a new band or a new watch (!)....it sits now on my dresser with a broken band and I'm trying to decide

http://target.scene7.com/is/image/Target/16747212?wid=450&hei=450&fmt=pjpeg

It's just a time piece to me dahlings. Introducing my new Rolex Daytona! Try to get even get one you Rolex thrashers!

05-ON-TIME-1-master768-v2.jpg

With all due respect, I do know something about Rolex watches. The stainless steel Daytona (either in a white dial - as shown - or in a black dial) is not yet available to the public. Rolex is hosting viewing events in NYC on June 28th. Thereafter, these watches will be made available to selected Rolex authorized dealers, as of July/August. Therefore, if you are saying you currently own this watch it is either (1) a fake or (2) you may have bought it in Europe. I assure you this model is not yet fore sale in the USA.

There was just one problem: Daytonas are scarce. Considered a timepiece for cognoscenti, not first-time buyers, the company typically parcels them out in limited numbers to dealers, who, in turn, set aside the few they can get for their most loyal customers.

I know a dealer, dahling.

There was just one problem: Daytonas are scarce. Considered a timepiece for cognoscenti, not first-time buyers, the company typically parcels them out in limited numbers to dealers, who, in turn, set aside the few they can get for their most loyal customers.

Wow smug much.

In 1974, I got a rolex, retail, for 50% off. Insurance sale of smoke-damaged boxes. I wore that through Med school, residency, etc. until I had wrist surgery in 1998 or so.

When I had my infected hip disaster in 20010, my sister had my house "cleaned". Cleaned out is more like it. She didn't supervise, and My precious was gone. It had a blue linen dial that a couple of Authorized Dealers said they'd never seen.

I don't like to wear a watch on my right arm (right handed) and I still have nerve damage on the left. I went simple and replaced the old watch with a Rolex Explorer I, which is so plain that all it does is tell time. In one time zone.

For a fun time, peruse www.rolexforums.com. They are enthusiastic to the point of being near-rabid.

I miss my Precious.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=468679&highlight=daytona+ss

Wow smug much.

Actually, they were very scarce, but people quickly got used to it. See the rolex forums (above). Routinely, one can get a used Rolex daytona, even in SS, for under $15000, usually under $10,000.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=468679&highlight=daytona+ss

I found a blog post on the Daytona, but I got distracted by the guy's dress shirt. Is that twill or poplin or some other weave? Also, what do you call the tiny checked pattern?

RolexDaytona116500LN-48_copy.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&fit=crop&ch=Width%2CDPR%2CSave-Data&fm=jpg&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&w=1500&s=63de3d9d8d25eb994710d1c77f7521a4&dpr=2

That appears to be a puppytooth, perhaps from Charley Tyrwhitt (good shirts... wait on a 4 for $180 sale).

Thanks, Keith! As you can imagine, I love that name. I've now found a bunch of attractive puppytooth shirts.

I never heard of "puppytooth", but since it is a diminutive of houndstooth, it makes sense.

For everyday I wear a Tmex Ironman lightweight digital. The band breaks after a few years and I throw it out and get a new one.

As @Charlie and @OneFinger have mentioned I also have a gorgeous black and silver Citizens Ecco Drive that I reserve for dress occasions such as the opera. Since it never needs a battery it's ever-ready for those special occasions.

The classic Cellini Gold Rolex is in the safe deposit box. As I learned from Zsa Zsa wearing a Chinatown knockoff is the prudent thing to do if one wants to go the Rolex route.

http://cdn.chrono24.com/images/uhren/images_58/s0/3132058g_xxl.jpg?v=1

PS: I forgot to mention that the black Timex Ironman that I use for everyday wear blends perfectly with black leather wrist bands so it is the perfect timepiece for those occasions when you are wearing leather. Plus it has the Indiglo feature so you can easily check the time for those situations when you have entered the realm of darkness......

PS: I forgot to mention that the black Timex Ironman that I use for everyday wear blends perfectly with black leather wrist bands so it is the perfect timepiece for those occasions when you are wearing leather. Plus it has the Indiglo feature so you can easily check the time for those situations when you have entered the realm of darkness......

I used to have a Timex with the Indiglo feature, so useful in unlighted back rooms of sordid bars.

have mentioned I also have a gorgeous black and silver Citizens Ecco Drive that I reserve for dress occasions such as the opera. Since it never needs a battery it's ever-ready for those special occasions.

The classic Cellini Gold Rolex is in the safe deposit box. As I learned from Zsa Zsa wearing a Chinatown knockoff is the prudent thing to do if one wants to go the Rolex route.

I have to say that I used to do the same thing. All my watches were safely tucked away in a safety deposit box, and I would only bring them out for special occasions. A few years ago I was going on a cruise, and I pulled a Rolex and a Baume & Mercier out to have them cleaned for the trip. When I presented them to my jeweler, I mentioned that I had just retrieved them from the safety deposit box. He just looked at me sort of puzzled and asked me why I kept them there. The question stopped me for a moment because I didn't really have a good reason, other than to say that I was saving them. He said, "Your saving them for what, the next owner?" We both laughed, and he said, "Life is short, and you should enjoy our possessions, they were meant to be worn and enjoyed." He was right of course, and they have never been back. Like many possessions in my life, they all tell a story, and every now and again, I'll be at the grocery store and glance down at my watch, and a fond memory will come flooding back, or I'll think of my father, long since gone, and in that moment, life will seem just a little bit better.

I used to have a Timex with the Indiglo feature, so useful in unlighted back rooms of sordid bars.

So true! Bring a bit visually challenged going to the NY Bondsge Club can be a challenge all of its own as the lighting is kept extremely dim. Gee! I wonder why! I actually have a mini flashlight attached to my belt so I can see where I am going if necessary. Along those lines it is aalso a bit disconcerting to have to wear glasses, but if I didn't it would not be a pretty site if I were to flog someone! In fact once I was removing my shirt when I first got there and started getting my gear together and I suddenly could not see what I was doing. I then realized that my glasses were gone. They actually flew several feet across the room and landed on a chair. Fortunately I was able to locate them before anyone Crushed them, but it was a close call! So yes, Indiglo on a watch definitely comes in handy!

I have to say that I used to do the same thing. All my watches were safely tucked away in a safety deposit box, and I would only bring them out for special occasions. A few years ago I was going on a cruise, and I pulled a Rolex and a Baume & Mercier out to have them cleaned for the trip. When I presented them to my jeweler, I mentioned that I had just retrieved them from the safety deposit box. He just looked at me sort of puzzled and asked me why I kept them there. The question stopped me for a moment because I didn't really have a good reason, other than to say that I was saving them. He said, "Your saving them for what, the next owner?" We both laughed, and he said, "Life is short, and you should enjoy our possessions, they were meant to be worn and enjoyed." He was right of course, and they have never been back. Like many possessions in my life, they all tell a story, and every now and again, I'll be at the grocery store and glance down at my watch, and a fond memory will come flooding back, or I'll think of my father, long since gone, and in that moment, life will seem just a little bit better.

Funny question from your jeweler and it sounds like it was helpful. Very touching comment about being reminded of your father and then life will seem just a little bit better. I hope life is very good for you in general. I have a lot of watches and so while its a bit pricey to keep them all functioning (yes, some have batteries) I like wearing a different watch every week.

Well, there were extenuating curcunpmstsnces. Loooong story, but the son of a local jeweler moved into the house behind me. He had two jobs, one was working in his dad's establishment. He had a "habit" that he needed to support. Therefore he would see who was buying the best jewelry or bringing in the best pieces for repair. He would get their address and then rob them. He did this a number of times. He then got brazen and started breaking into homes in the neighborhood. Fortunately I was not one, but one day the police knocked on my door and informed me that one house over had been robbed and wanted to know if I saw anything. I didn't. However, to make a long story short the police were able to connect my backyard neighbor to the heist. He was sentenced and sent to jail, but then was released. That's why the good stuff was placed in the safe deposit box.

Of course, there's more to the story as he continued to go on his burglarizing spree. In a nutshell, one day he robbed a house but did not realize that the inhabitants were home. That was classified as a home invasion so he ended up being sent up the river for a very long time. His now supposedly ex-girlfriend now lives in the house. I'm not sure if or when he might be released.

Oh! I neglected to mention what his other job was during all of this! He worked in a pawn shop! How convenient!

Perhaps I should take BVB's advice and just wear the watch every day, most folks would think that it's a knockoff anyway!

Archived