A nice watch is not a status symbol to those who can truly afford it.

dutchmuch
This topic is 2393 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In an interview a week or so back, our prime minister said that he had bought his wife a watch for her birthday earlier in the year. When pressed he admitted that it was a Cartier watch, all of which was duly repeated on TV and published in the papers!

I got the same watch down on Canal Street for $15. Mine is a Polex Platinum though.

Canal Street! LOL! I paid 10 bucks for mine! They even threw in a fine brocaded genuine cultivated silk scarf!

Good for you! You buy watches, I buy art, others buy remastered recordings of Maria Callas. It's all STUFF, but its why we work. Enjoy!

People buy remastered Maria Callas recordings?!?! Who woulda thunk!!!?? o_O ;)

It's just a time piece to me dahlings. Introducing my news Rolex Daytona! Try to get even get one you Rolex thrashers!

05-ON-TIME-1-master768-v2.jpg

Did you trade in your digital?

http://my-live-03.slatic.net/p/skmei-robot-style-digital-display-assemble-toy-watch-6840-3395173-1-product.jpg

Yeah! Maria Callas!! It's just something I heard somewhere. I personally prefer Leontyne Price.

I almost don't want to respond for fear of being accused of hyjacking another thread! However, Price as Aïda is about as good as it gets! Yet, even though their repertoire overlapped it's still an apples and oranges thing. Unless you prefer bananas of course!

Good for you! You buy watches, I buy art, others buy remastered recordings of Maria Callas. It's all STUFF, but its why we work. Enjoy!

Yup, and its STUFF others will enjoy when we pass on.... I'm still trying to figure out WHO to leave all my STUFF to since i no longer have any family or close friends left. Now all the STUFF that used to give me pleasure is simply a burden and clutter.

Canal Street! LOL! I paid 10 bucks for mine! They even threw in a fine brocaded genuine cultivated silk scarf!

People buy remastered Maria Callas recordings?!?! Who woulda thunk!!!?? o_O ;)

I almost don't want to respond for fear of being accused of hyjacking another thread! However, Price as Aïda is about as good as it gets! Yet, even though their repertoire overlapped it's still an apples and oranges thing. Unless you prefer bananas of course!

The best live performance I ever saw was Joan Sutherland in Donna Lucia De Lammermoor. I still get goosebumps.

Yup, and its STUFF others will enjoy when we pass on.... I'm still trying to figure out WHO to leave all my STUFF to since i no longer have any family or close friends left. Now all the STUFF that used to give me pleasure is simply a burden and clutter.

http://themetapicture.com/media/funny-gif-Stewie-Family-Guy.gif

"You could leave it all to me"

"Or not"

Well I would disagree, I don't think it's just "stuff". When I am dead and gone, I'm sure it will be just "stuff" to someone else, but for now, in some small way it is part of who I am, it helps to define me. ;)

I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to denigrate our prized possessions. Quite the opposite. Our "stuff" does help to define us, both in its acquisition and our continued appreciation of it. My art collection speaks volumes about me. I just meant that we all collect different things that create a personal world, but it is sometimes hard to understand someone else's collection. A beautiful, finely-crafted watch is not important to me, but I understand dutchmuch's pleasure and excitement. It's his joy. I retract the word "stuff".

I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to denigrate our prized possessions. Quite the opposite. Our "stuff" does help to define us, both in its acquisition and our continued appreciation of it. My art collection speaks volumes about me. I just meant that we all collect different things that create a personal world, but it is sometimes hard to understand someone else's collection. A beautiful, finely-crafted watch is not important to me, but I understand dutchmuch's pleasure and excitement. It's his joy. I retract the word "stuff".

Sometimes it is the joy which is brought to us by the material goods and other times it is the crass display and rubbing it in the face of others that some find satisfying.

As far as watches in particular go, I have a small collection of 19th Century pocket watches. I never use them to tell the time, as there are are much more precise ways of doing that. I do not keep them on display, as they are a private indulgence. Most of them have sentimental value which far exceeds any monetary value. When I take one out, it is to more clearly recall the memories they bring.

I hope Dutchmuch gets as much joy from his watch as I have gotten from mine.

...I retract the word "stuff".

No need to retract the word. 'Tis true: it is all "stuff."

One of my most treasured pieces of "stuff" is a charcoal illustration of a man fawning over a turkey on a platter held by a woman.

Why, you might ask, would this be treasured? The woman looks just like my mother. The artist was my father, who drew it while in art school. He made the illustration at least eight years before he met my mother.

I think this is it precisely...For myself they create a personal world. Everything that I have or that I have collected has a very personal story attached to it. My most treasured possessions are items that were gifted to me by friends who passed on, to ensure they're safe keeping. They enrich my life beyond measure, so their value is of no consequence. I can only hope that when I am gone, someone else will see and appreciate their beauty, so that they will survive.

I think this is it precisely...For myself they create a personal world. Everything that I have or that I have collected has a very personal story attached to it. My most treasured possessions are items that were gifted to me by friends who passed on, to ensure they're safe keeping. They enrich my life beyond measure, so their value is of no consequence. I can only hope that when I am gone, someone else will see and appreciate their beauty, so that they will survive.

Well said, BVB.

Thankfully I got over my "watch fetish" after my fifth watch.

It's an expensive habit...and hard to break.

Whenever I get the "itch"....I just remember that I haven't worn any of them with any frequency for over 10 years!

I still get sweaty palms and a nervous tic whenever I walk past a Panerai store though.

If they ever make a white faced lefty Panerai....I may need to get a sponsor.

For me a watch doesnt have to do more than tell the time, and it dont need to cost 10K to do it

I agree. And I have not bought a replacement watch since I lost my last watch years ago. When I do not have a cell phone with me, I just ask someone for the time. But, it's because I live in a large city, and I have no interest in getting robbed for a watch.

I have a Cartier Tank Watch, a Tag Heuer Divers watch, and a Rolex Cellini dress watch. Two years ago I was sorting through some boxes on the top shelf of my closet. In one box was some old jewelry I hadn't worn in 40 years, among the objects was a stainless steel case divers watch by the now defunct Swiss manufacturer Richard. My Father bought it for me on business trip to Geneva in 1966. I was an avid surfer in those days, and he knew I would get good use of it. I held the watch in my hand, and memories of my Father, and my youth flooded over me. The next day, I took the watch to watch dealer with repair services. They told me it was a fine quality movement and could be re- conditioned. Three weeks later I picked up the watch and selected a new band. It has been on my wrist ever since. It's a link with my Father, that I keep with me every day.

Well, I'm dangerous with sunglasses and watches - dropping them, breaking them, losing them - so I stick with just a plain old Timex.

And as I posted on a thread several weeks ago......

The Timex takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Sorta like me! ;)

My dad's Tag Heuer is probably the single possession in my home which would make me run into the burning house to save - it's the only thing of value my step-mother allowed me to have after he was killed. I'm afraid it's a private pleasure tho - would never wear it out for a night on the town, or take it traveling with me - weird, huh?

Archived