RAIN!!!!!!

jackjackjack
This topic is 3066 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I know I shouldn't be posting about this but finally, we're getting a substantial rainfall here in central and southern California!!! I see lightning, hear thunder... so unusual. The trees and plants have been washed of months and months of guck and they look so green. It seems like it's been forever.... oh yea, it has been.

Ok now I'm just going to sit back, relax, and enjoy.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know I shouldn't be posting about this but finally, we're getting a substantial rainfall here in central and southern California!!! I see lightning, hear thunder... so unusual. The trees and plants have been washed of months and months of guck and they look so green. It seems like it's been forever.... oh yea, it has been.

Next week will be beautiful too. Nothing like a sunny day after a week of rain.

Yea and if it continues to rain for the next six months those idiots in Sacramento will continue to claim we are in the midst of drought.

Absolutely correct. It's all about government control of our lives. And the rate increases will never go away. On a side note, if it's going to rain for the next 6 months.... maybe we better look into building an ark. . :)

I can relate so much. Last year was the end of a multiyear drought in Texas. When the rain finally came it was such a relief and so nice to see everything come back to life. Of course, we ended up getting too much all at once and having some flood issues, but you can't have everything.

Yea and if it continues to rain for the next six months those idiots in Sacramento will continue to claim we are in the midst of drought.

I don't know about anybody else, but if the state's hydrologists say that it will take several years of normal precipitation to restore the Sierra snowpack and fill the reservoirs to capacity, I'm inclined to believe them.

Glad to know that southern California is finally getting some drought relief. Bless my soul, when I saw the heading "Rain!!!!!!," my mind went immediately to the Korean pop star: http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/6100000/Rain-korean-dramas-6143316-331-500.jpg

There is just no cure for me. :p

Yes it's nice to see the rain come....finally. http://www.ourgtn.org/public/style_emoticons/default/raindance.gif

It may not end the drought....but only rain and snow can do that so it's a good start. http://www.ourgtn.org/public/style_emoticons/default/nod2.gif

The flooding and mudslides are going to be no fun for a lot of people. I'm glad I chose a place to live that's not at the foot of a mountain. At one place the owner told me that there were "occasional" flooding problems. I didn't move there so dodged that bullet.

Unfortunately El Nino is generally followed by its counterpart La Nina which, as you might expect, has the opposite effect. So we won't get enough rain and snow to end the drought and then we'll snap right back into drought.

Still, we'll take what we can get!

I will say I was expecting horrible commutes for the last two days and instead had some of the best all year. KEEP STAYING HOME, PEOPLE! :p

Yes it's nice to see the rain come....finally. http://www.ourgtn.org/public/style_emoticons/default/raindance.gif

It may not end the drought....but only rain and snow can do that so it's a good start. http://www.ourgtn.org/public/style_emoticons/default/nod2.gif

The flooding and mudslides are going to be no fun for a lot of people. I'm glad I chose a place to live that's not at the foot of a mountain. At one place the owner told me that there were "occasional" flooding problems. I didn't move there so dodged that bullet.

Adam Smith is correct, you have the best emoticons...http://www.ourgtn.org/public/style_emoticons/default/raindance.gif

Flash flood warnings yesterday and today in San Diego. Even got a emergency alert about a tornado in Torrey Pines.

Unfortunately, this rain is causing problems with our construction project. We've had to send crews home the past 2 days. Feel sorry for the workers who aren't getting paid.

rain isn't going to save our drought problem. we need 3-4 solid years of snow in the mountains which will feed the water tables. rain doesn't get stored for long term use like snow does as most of it runs off.

we are actually at risk to lose thousands of tress this year due to the rain. because we have been so short of rain the tree root systems have gotten weak and this massive amount of rain may cause lots of tress to fall over when the soil gets wet and loose.

If water rates in Southern California (as well as other naturally arid parts of the country) reflected supply and demand we might not be in the predicament we are in today. The fact of the matter is we have a huge demand and a small supply. BBV's graphic does a great job of demonstrating the problem. Our water comes from snow melt. No snow pack equals no melt which equals no water. An El Nino will not solve the problem.

rain isn't going to save our drought problem. we need 3-4 solid years of snow in the mountains which will feed the water tables. rain doesn't get stored for long term use like snow does as most of it runs off.

we are actually at risk to lose thousands of tress this year due to the rain. because we have been so short of rain the tree root systems have gotten weak and this massive amount of rain may cause lots of tress to fall over when the soil gets wet and loose.

But rain in coastal areas during the winter usually turns into snow by the time it reaches the Sierras.

It has been raining here in the desert for the past three days, and when I look out my bedroom window, I see the surrounding mountains covered with snow. My dog, who in his short life has probably never seen rain before, refuses to go outside to do his business, unlike my hardier dogs back in Pennsylvania, who used to slog through rain and snow without complaint.

Archived