RAIN!!!!!!

jackjackjack
This topic is 3066 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It has been raining here in the desert for the past three days, and when I look out my bedroom window, I see the surrounding mountains covered with snow. My dog, who in his short life has probably never seen rain before, refuses to go outside to do his business, unlike my hardier dogs back in Pennsylvania, who used to slog through rain and snow without complaint.

Sounds like your newer doggie is smart. :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will say I was expecting horrible commutes for the last two days and instead had some of the best all year. KEEP STAYING HOME, PEOPLE! :p

I'm in LA and I was talking to someone at work about how good the commute has been in spite of the rain. She told me schools are still out so that may explain it. Come Monday it will probably be jammed again....sad.gif

Unfortunately El Nino is generally followed by its counterpart La Nina which, as you might expect, has the opposite effect. So we won't get enough rain and snow to end the drought and then we'll snap right back into drought.

Still, we'll take what we can get!

I will say I was expecting horrible commutes for the last two days and instead had some of the best all year. KEEP STAYING HOME, PEOPLE! :p

I sat on the 101 on Tuesday for almost 2 hours waiting for multiple wrecks to be cleared but yesterday no traffic. it's been very strange but I think a lot of folks are working remote when they can. most of my staff is working from home this week because of the weather.

My dog, who in his short life has probably never seen rain before, refuses to go outside to do his business...

Smelly house, have you?

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130810203813/starwars/images/d/df/Yoda's_hover_chair.png

rain isn't going to save our drought problem. we need 3-4 solid years of snow in the mountains which will feed the water tables. rain doesn't get stored for long term use like snow does as most of it runs off.

It's not quite clear that the water table will recover, but I suspect the reservoirs will be mostly, if not entirely, full by the first week of July. The water table may be down for good. California may not be breaking off into the ocean, but it is sinking....

I can't believe that there aren't more reservoirs in California to store the rain and snow runoff. IMHO, the current water crisis is the fault of politicians who decided to stop building reservoirs.

We're now paying the price for their stupidity as the excess rain and snow flows into the ocean. :(

I can't believe that there aren't more reservoirs in California to store the rain and snow runoff. IMHO, the current water crisis is the fault of politicians who decided to stop building reservoirs.

We're now paying the price for their stupidity as the excess rain and snow flows into the ocean. :(

The snow runoff is captured. That's what supplies some of our drinking water. The politicians are not entirely to blame for not building reservoirs to catch rain water. There is a threshold over which a bond measure must be put on the ballot and voted on by the voters. Californians have a nasty habit of voting down bond measures and tax increases. A few years ago there was a ballot measure in San Diego county that would have levied $12 (twelve dollars) per year on properties to fund improving fire protection. The measure was voted down. This was after we had the terrible fires of 2007 that burned an area of San Diego County larger than the City of Chicago. Think about that for a moment. More than 250 square miles of San Diego County burned, hundreds of millions of dollars in property was lost, and I believe a handful of people died, and the voters would not approve a twelve dollar per year increase in taxes. These people are certainly not going to approve a bond measure to fund construction of additional reservoirs and related infrastructure.

Californians have a nasty habit of voting down bond measures and tax increases.

Really? I've lived in California for almost all of my life, and have yet to see a single state-wide bond measure turned down (although you are right about the tax increases--any tax increase whatsoever usually gets turned down). This is because most voters think of bond measures as "free money" (money that's spent but doesn't result it direct tax increases).

Really? I've lived in California for almost all of my life, and have yet to see a single state-wide bond measure turned down (although you are right about the tax increases--any tax increase whatsoever usually gets turned down). This is because most voters think of bond measures as "free money" (money that's spent but doesn't result it direct tax increases).

Honestly, I don't recall seeing many statewide bond measures in the last 15 years I have lived here, but the San Diego county and municipal ones keep getting turned down.

Archived