Cutting The Cord - Cable TV That Is

MasssageGuy
This topic is 1138 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

@deej hulu is my main tv feed; Since you have netflix. What am I missing?

Probably not missing a lot. Just sometimes a movie will be on Netflix that isn't on ROKU or Hulu (and vice-versa). I keep Netflix mostly out of inertia. I should probably stop it. But that takes effort and I'm low on effort these days.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not missing a lot. Just sometimes a movie will be on Netflix that isn't on ROKU or Hulu (and vice-versa). I keep Netflix mostly out of inertia. I should probably stop it. But that takes effort and I'm low on effort these days.

I don't have Hulu, but I really like some of the original content developed by Netflix. Does Hulu or Roku have its own content?

I cut cable 3 years ago and kept Internet. I added to my TV a HD antenna, Apple TV, and Roku. I pay for Hulu, Netflix, and HBO. After I added HBO I never missed cable.

I'm close to the same setup, Hulu/Netflix, Amazon Prime, including HBO/now. I also subscribe to Sling, but am ready to dump it, I only got it for CNN and AMC. Re:AMC the couple shows I watch can be bought on Amazon, etc. I'm using CNN/Go for news, so Sling is close to being cancelled.

I've never had the desire to watch cable news. Ever. That's one of the reasons I cut the cable. $60 for HGTV, which devolved into silly home-themed surreality shows, was simply not worth it.

• 1 year later...

Year and half update.

I’m getting along just fine. I’ve done three upgrades.

I got a better, more traditional looking outdoor antenna. It was about $45. I don’t even need to use an antenna amplifier with it. I was able to use the already existing Dish antenna cabling to get the signal to my TV. Much more stable signal now versus the previous thin “leaf style” wall antenna. The local broadcast towers are about 20+mi away.

I got a Tivo. Great purchase. I chose the one that is for Over the Air with a one time purchase price. A bit expensive at around $380 upfront - but no future monthly fees. It makes everything much more civilized. It has a DVR that will record up to 4 channels and displays a TV schedule much like a Dish or or cable TV box. It’s designed to have internet access so the TV schedule displayed depends on your local market. You can set it up to automatically record your favorite programs. The “skip commercial” button is pretty cool for those programs that support that feature.

I upgraded the TV in my bedroom. Nothing very fancy but it does have a built-in Roku and connects wirelessly to my internet. Aside from the antenna channels there are also some free internet movie channels included with the built in Roku. There’s a local channel that displays a TV schedule. It’s connected to it’s own “leaf style” antenna. It doesn’t pull in as many over the air channels as my main TV antenna but It’s quite adequate for my bedroom use. I don’t watch it very much.

My present provider doesn’t currently offer a better speed for my location. But I seem to be getting along ok with a 10Mbps connection as a single user. Other internet options are available if I get frustrated.

So I had some up front costs to cutting the cable (mostly the Tivo) but I’m very happy I’m not paying for TV anymore. And I’ve adjusted to the withdrawal of my former cable news fix.

My present provider doesn’t currently offer a better speed for my location. But I seem to be getting along ok with a 10Mbps connection as a single user.

Funny how that speed thing becomes less important. My provider recently upgraded me to 100 Mbps (at no extra charge). I didn't notice any change because, like you, I'm a single user. Families with kids using multiple devices to stream from multiple sources at the same time would probably see a big difference, but I just don't.

Funny how that speed thing becomes less important. My provider recently upgraded me to 100 Mbps (at no extra charge). I didn't notice any change because, like you, I'm a single user. Families with kids using multiple devices to stream from multiple sources at the same time would probably see a big difference, but I just don't.

I chug at a nominal 15Mbps, but only get about 5Mbps. we have two iphones, one ipad, two computers, and two televisions.

Technical Support told me when to reboot the modem:

Yeah, over time, it starts to get clogged with crap. I can tell because my kids play games, and when I stop hearing gunshots, I know it's time to reboot.

Interesting. I do notice the difference and I am also single.

To the thread topic and to update my previous posts, I am back to cable. I've been back since the last months of the presidential campaign. As I reported earlier on, I had cancelled my cable service and was paying only for a land line and a 15 Mbps Internet connection to Comcast. When I called them to cancel my subscription, they offered me an upgrade that include the land line, basic cable with HD and on demand, and a 100 Mbps connection, all for less money than I was paying for the land line and the 15 Mbps Internet.

I am very happy with the deal. I had access to all cable networks during the campaign, I have access now under Trump circus. I can see through cable and I can stream HD quality video to fully enjoy my 4K 65 inches TV.

I would drop cable if I could keep the other services for less money though, but they do not offer that deal.

• 3 years later...

One thing I forgot to mention....some channels on Roku will let you stream live television IF you have a cable provider for television--you cannot use that provider if you use them only for internet service.

i have xfinity stream which i use with my roku stick. i have xfinity internet, so stream is an extra 10/month. you can download an app to the roku stick that lets you watch live TV through xfinity stream. i get something like 40 channels. broadcast and a few others. no cable premium stations, though.

Sling TV is the worst about canceling. I finally did and a few months later they charged my card for $35 saying I had resubscribed. I had not. AMEX took their side!

Why would I choose to pay $35 when they kept offering me deals for $10?

Just got rid of cable two weeks ago and am glad! I tried to get rid of it last year but Spectrum offered me free high speed internet (1 Gbps) if I kept cable so I did.

I share streaming services (netflix, hbo max, disney+) with two other friends who live alone and i've found it helps me save some money each month.

Over a year ago to get the best rate on FIOS gig service they convinced me to keep cable included for the same price on a 2-year plan including free dvr service. In that time I have not watched cable but one time (election night) and, like everything else I could have probably found that online. None of the long-term house guests I have are ever interested in cable either. It's an HBO/Netflix/Prime/Hulu world.