Cutting The Cord - Cable TV That Is

MasssageGuy
This topic is 1138 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cut the Cable cord about a year ago and saved myself about $100. I do subscribe to Hulu (commercial free-$11.99 a month) and there are quite a lot of shows on there that I watch. Also, you are able to go to CBS.com and watch all of their shows for free (with commercials though). The only thing that is not on Hulu is this season of American Horror Story. When I go up to visit my mother I just watch it in on her "On Demend" service. Other than that I have not had a problem with not having cable at all.

I was thinking about picking up a digital antennae to see local newscasts but have not. Any recommendations on what one might work best?

was thinking about picking up a digital antennae to see local newscasts but have not. Any recommendations on what one might work best?

I just ordered a Digital Antenna from Amazon. Checked out a website that provides distance between me and transmitters. I'm about 27 miles from TV transmitters. Amazon sells one that is for picking up signals from 50 miles. I'll see how it works. It looks like a place mat.

If it doesn't work, back it goes...

Any pointers on Torrent training videos? I'm thinking of Kodi (AKA XBMC) also.

Thanks!

I'd look into Plex. It's similar to Kodi but much more user friendly to use and to set up in my opinion. It's free, but you can also pay for a "Plex Pass" to get some extra features. For most people (especially those new to this), the free version will be more than adequate. There are a bunch of guides/videos on how to set it up, and reddit.com/r/plex is a great resource as well. I'm very familiar with it too so if you have any questions about it/setting it up/using it, etc. then feel free to PM me!

Edit: Just adding an article link to compare Plex and Kodi.

http://lifehacker.com/home-theater-software-showdown-kodi-vs-plex-1746501974

I've actually been looking at these, a 4K Ultra. The prices have dropped like crazy since last year. I'm not very tech savvy, when it mentions web browsing, does it mean it will play videos from any web site? That would solve the AMC issue for me.

Earlier this year I bought a new Samsung 60" HDTV for my screening room after my old 52" crapped out. I have a 40" Samsung HDTV in my den. I was pleased with my new purchase until .... I rented a house for Thanksgiving and they had a 50" Vizio 4K UltraHD. I was blown away. We watched ALL ABOUT EVE and THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS and I felt that Bette Davis and Anthony Hopkins were in my living room.

So I replaced my den TV with a Vizio 50" 4K UltraHD. I love it. I will say it takes a TON of tweaking when you get it out of the box. If you just turn it on and watch cable you will be DISAPPOINTED. There are lots of tips about settings online but you really also need to buy a blu ray calibration disc which will take you step by step on how to get the color to your liking and what settings to touch and which ones not to touch.

I also have surround sound in my screening room which I love but bought a great sound bar for the den TV. Whatever you do, don't rely on the TV sound system. They suck.

As for torrents and file sharing ... I'd just join one of the groups like tehparadox.com or bolt.cd .. you will find a wealth of material there. For most people file sharing is the way to go instead of torrents as it's both easier and no risk. You don't have to buy a VPN or any of that. You'll want to join one of the providers with premium accounts to make downloading faster and easier. I'm happy to answer any questions about this. Cheers!

I say go to Best Buy and get a Roku 3. Hulu & Netflix stream most network shows. CBSN (CBS News) has a Roku channel for news programs. For international news, Sky News International. There was a private channel called Nowhere TV that streamed BBC World News & CNN International, but they were removed from Nowhere's line up. You can also stream IHeart Radio & TuneIn through the Roku. You may be able to snag websites that stream CNN/BBC/Fox News/MSNBC and run those through your Roku box if you have PlayTO or roConnect. Now, some channels on Roku are subscription, but even without subscription, there is a lot to watch. If you have a tablet or smartphone, you can download free Roku remotes from Amazon or Google Play....

I say go to Best Buy and get a Roku 3...

Actually, the 2015 Roku 2 gets much better ratings than the Roku 3. I picked up one yesterday at Best Buy for $60 (about $30 cheaper than the Roku 3). I believe the software mods for the Roku 2 make it faster than Roku 3. Check out some of the reviews on both Roku 2 and 3.

Actually, the 2015 Roku 2 gets much better ratings than the Roku 3. I picked up one yesterday at Best Buy for $60 (about $30 cheaper than the Roku 3). I believe the software mods for the Roku 2 make it faster than Roku 3. Check out some of the reviews on both Roku 2 and 3.

Well, a 2 or a 3 is worth the investment versus a rising cable/satellite charge. I have a 3, so that is what I can speak on....no experience with the 2.

I've actually been looking at these, a 4K Ultra. The prices have dropped like crazy since last year. I'm not very tech savvy, when it mentions web browsing, does it mean it will play videos from any web site? That would solve the AMC issue for me.

Theoretically, yes. But searching the web on your tv is like cooking breakfast with a bic lighter. I suspect it would be better to connect your computer screen to the tv, browse on the pc and view on the tv.

Kevin Slater

Cord cutting was so worth it for me. But may not work for you depending on your TV watching schedule and content you like. I'm not a huge TV watcher and don't mind getting it later so it works. I think the future is all channels being online subscription like Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu (I'm convinced in 2-3 years Netflix will no longer license content and only produce originals) You will just pick and choose the channel or packages you want (see CBS ALL Access for an example) they will all be cheaper, but less efficient as they will all be separate subscriptions run through smart tv technology.

And here I thought this was about someone cutting off TV in all forms, kinda like I did.

Not even close.

I could never do THAT. There's just way too much good stuff on TV, both UK and USA. Much more interesting that what is in the cinema or in books (by far).

MrMiniver, your comment came right on time! I'm about to step out the door to check them out and will definitely look at the Vizio.

Vizio, for the price point, is really worth it. Almost 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of Samsung. Since the technology is so new I wouldn't spring for the more expensive high end stuff until the dust settles in 3-4 years. Look up the reviews for the Vizio M series. Excellent.

Vizio, for the price point, is really worth it.

After a head spinning afternoon (OLED? I just learned about the existence of 4K for God's sake). It came down to the Vizio vs Samsung. A high end Vizio with a 240 refresh rate is about $800 to $1,200 less than the comparable Samsung. I need to read up a bit more, but Cnet raves about the Vizio M series, so I'm pretty much leaning that way.