Sounding. What's your reaction?

Lance_Navarro
This topic is 1514 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

However even autoclaving may not destroy prions. :confused:

Here's a nice article. The suggestion of going to a tattoo parlor is helpful. But then again once everything is sterilized, it would be difficult to find a sterile container at home to put them in unless you obtained those bags they put surgical instruments in at the hospital and autoclave in them.

STERILIZATION VERSUS DISINFECTION

Marc | January 19, 2011 | Experiments, General Chemistry, Houseld Item Chemistry, Trivia | No Comments

http://chemistrytwig.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/boilingwater.jpgDoes boiling sterilize? I asked my organic chemistry professor this in the lab and the answer is no, boiling water does not sterilize. That’s not to say that it’s not a good method of killing bacteria.

So then, what’s the problem with putting things in boiling water to sterilize them? While many bacteria is killed, the vegetative spores usually are not. The same is true for fungal spores. Just when you think you’ve killed them all the spores come out of their comas and infect you.

What if boiling is the closest thing to a proper sterilization method you can achieve at your home? Well, here are some tricks:

• Keep items in boiling water for long periods of time (even an hour)
  • Rest the tongs you will use to remove the items halfway in the boiling water (it’ll disinfect the contact point of the tongs).
  • Let the boiling water and items inside cool down and sit for awhile, then re-boil! It’ll kill some of those vegetative spores that decided to wake up.

Most of the time boiling is an effective method of disinfecting items in a household and even for some elementary experiments. As long as you’re not piercing something, puncturing any part of your body, or administering things to a very ill person, boiling will usually do the trick.

Need something sterilized? Go to your local tattoo or piercing parlor and ask if they can sterilize the item in their autoclave.

RELATED POSTS

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

http://1.gravatar.com/avatar/769c2988be5180e03ac014abf117db60?s=100&d=mm&r=g

Marc

[paste:font size=3]ADD A COMMENT

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Name:*

Email Address:*

Comment:*

http://chemistrytwig.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Boiling_water-45x45.png

WHAT’S THAT POPPING SOUND WHEN WATER BOILS?

October 10, 2015

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well all this talk about boiling water and sterilization reminds me of a true story, and having been involved with dentistry for four decades has produced quite a few interesting sagas.

A couple of years ago a patient came into the office and said that his wife told him that he should sterilize his removable partial denture by boiling it in water. The prosthesis had a chrome cobalt metal base with acrylic teeth. As noted above his wife said that it needed to be boiled for a sufficient time in order to kill all the bacteria. Being an obedient husband he duly intended to boil the denture for about an hour. Unfortunately he lost track of time and when the he heard the screeching sound of the smoke detector and smelled something burning he suddenly ran into the kitchen only to find the blackened remnants of the metal base and the charred remains of the acrylic.

He came down to the office a short time later asking if anything could be salvaged. My response was never to listen to anything that his wife tells him again. His response was that he usually didn't, but this one time he thought what she said made sense.

One of many denture stories! Others have involved hospitals, the trash bin at a major hotel, trash pickup day, pets, and even a fireplace. Oh, and also a toilet, or two, or three... Most are funny in retrospect, but were not at the time that they actually occurred.

Getting back on topic. If one is going to get involved with sounds under less that ideal conditions I would invest in some sort of pouches in which to store them as well as plastic lined coverings to place them on during play. Then keep your fingers crossed.

I wouldn't even dream about it unless an autoclave was involved and someone very well trained in sterile technique.

It's mildly intriguing to me at best.

It appeals to me more as "medical play". And "medical play" isn't really something I get into...so...yeah....no.

I wouldn't classify it as a turn off. If another dude is into it...I'm happy to play along and provide my services....but I am expensive!

http://s22.postimg.org/r3m5gz5td/image.jpg

Because of my experience in sounding, I get a fair number of requests from guys who want to try it, but I've also experienced alot of guys who are completely freaked out by the idea of it (which often evolves into an interest). I've found it to be one of you most polarizing of all fetishes/kinks. So, what is your reaction to it?

Gorgeous picture. I have stuffed my dick with a variety of implements and its very erotic. As the implement slides in, I get a very stiff boner. I would love to try it with a partner with real sounds.

I had a cystoscopy a couple years ago and, surprisingly, found it really enjoyable. The uro used a blunt syringe to pump a local anesthetic into my dick, followed by a syringe full of lube. The scope slid in nearly painlessly. The feeling of the scope snaking around in my bladder was very pleasurable.

Edited by Rudynate

Medical procedures are not intended to be fun and are not approached that way. The recipient of a medical sounding most likely needs the procedure to open a narrowed passage and there is the expectation of tissue damage and pain as a result, either at the time or afterwards.

As a result, I think comparing sounding for pleasure to the medical procedure is like comparing anal sex to a colonoscopy.

Sounding does not intrigue me. It seems like it would be painful. I have passed urethral catheters and it has been painful and that does color my interest. On the other hand, if Mr. Navarro were interested in allowing me to place a sound into him with his guidance, it is conceivable that his pleasure might trigger a willingness of my part to have it done to me.

If I ever did try this, I might consider an antibiotic afterwards, at least for the first time,

Many many years ago when I was an intern and rotating through the emergency department at my hospital, a 25 y.o. guy came in with a catheter in his penis. Of course he was embarrassed (and sizzling hot I might add). He said it went in easily, even some urine came out but then he couldn't get it out. He would push it in further and each time he did - no luck on out. Long story short - each time he pushed it in, more and more was in the bladder until it just tied itself in a knot and there was no way it was ever coming out - off to surgery!

Many many years ago when I was an intern and rotating through the emergency department at my hospital, a 25 y.o. guy came in with a catheter in his penis. Of course he was embarrassed (and sizzling hot I might add). He said it went in easily, even some urine came out but then he couldn't get it out. He would push it in further and each time he did - no luck on out. Long story short - each time he pushed it in, more and more was in the bladder until it just tied itself in a knot and there was no way it was ever coming out - off to surgery!

And of course there are all those stories of guys needing to have all manner of things retrieved from their butts.

Edited by Rudynate

A long time ago I went to a "motorcycle run" held on the other shore of lake michigan put on by a chicago BSDM club.

(the name of the run is the word the often follows Raging, and is a synonym for conflagration, beginning with I and ending with o).

There was a lecture demo on sounding, and they did have an autoclave on site.

The times I've had to have a swab up my dick for tests for STD's, I enjoyed the discomfort.

I really want to experience it, enhanced with (reasonable) electrical stimlation :)

A long time ago I went to a "motorcycle run" held on the other shore of lake michigan put on by a chicago BSDM club.

(the name of the run is a word that often follows Raging, and is a synonym for conflagration beginning with an I and ending with an o)...

I really want to experience it, enhanced with (reasonable) electrical stimlation :)

Wow Honcho!!! I think that you have officially won the prize at least as far as this thread is concerned! Now, the electrical stimulation portion I have done and in conjunction with other types of "stimulation" such as clothespins etc.

That's as far as I would be willing to go, and that was the younger more adventurous WG. Not the wiser, more cautious, and level headed current version!

Now if you ever do try it Honcho, I would suggest that you bring your oboe. Something tells me that you would be able to eek out a high A above high G! :D

Also you reference the Chicago Hellfire Club and their Raging Inferno summer play party. That is the pinnacle of S&M. I'm sure that anything that I have seen done or personally experienced is tame in comparison! Very tame!

Edited by whipped guy

You could achieve the same with a pressure cooker.

However, an autoclave is more precise and easier to use than a pressure cooker. The sounds can also be packaged and the packages opened when ready for use, thus hopefully guaranteeing sterility if handled properly.

I have a pressure cooker that is new and never been used. I frankly have no desire to ever use it. I keep thinking of the I Love Lucy episode! :eek:

However, an autoclave is more precise and easier to use than a pressure cooker. The sounds can also be packaged and the packages opened when ready for use, thus hopefully guaranteeing sterility if handled properly.

I have a pressure cooker that is new and never been used. I frankly have no desire to ever use it. I keep thinking of the I Love Lucy episode! :eek:

That's the missing piece in this conversation, wrapping the sounds. Otherwise, as soon as they come out of the autoclave, they become contaminated.

The healthcare professionals will get all over my case, I know, but I don't think sterility is as much of a priority in a relatively "clean" environment. Healthcare environments, by definition, are not "clean." Hospitals are petri dishes - crawling with bugs. So, of course, aseptic technique is essential in order to protect the patient from infection. What do you do when you get a cut at home? I don't know about anybody else, but I wash the blood off with tap water and slap a band-aid on it after the bleeding stops. What's sterile about that? I don't ever remember getting an infection from a cut.

Before the development of aseptic technique, the only people who went to hospitals were the poor who couldn't afford to receive health care in their homes. I seriously doubt that homes of the early 19th century provided a sterile environment, but they were cleaner than the hospitals at the time. I suspect that same is true today. The average home is probably much less conducive to infection than a clinic, doc's office or hospital.

Was it Semmelweiss who discovered that the simple measure of having doctors wash their hands between deliveries drastically reduced the incidence of post-partum infections in hospitals?

All of that having been said, I would not let someone else use a sound on me who wasn't gloved and I couldn't imagine trusting anyone else to have thoroughly cleaned sounds between people.

The healthcare professionals will get all over my case, I know, but I don't think sterility is as much of a priority in a relatively "clean" environment. Healthcare environments, by definition, are not "clean." Hospitals are petri dishes - crawling with bugs. So, of course, aseptic technique is essential in order to protect the patient from infection. What do you do when you get a cut at home? I don't know about anybody else, but I wash the blood off with tap water and slap a band-aid on it after the bleeding stops. What's sterile about that? I don't ever remember getting an infection from a cut.

Damned right about hospitals.... They are breeding grounds of disease and infection. Also, you are right about the cut. However, a good friend recently cut himself shaving and developed a wired infection. So weird that he thought that it was an STD or even worse. So stuff can happen and often does when we least expect it. Reason to play it safe!

Damned right about hospitals.... They are breeding grounds of disease and infection. Also, you are right about the cut. However, a good friend recently cut himself shaving and developed a wired infection. So weird that he thought that it was an STD or even worse. So stuff can happen and often does when we least expect it. Reason to play it safe!

I know strange things happen. Last year, on Christmas, I was in the emergency room. Christmas morning, I woke up and I noticed a couple small punctures on the heel of my hand - had no idea where they had come from. By afternoon, they were beginning to itch and they were a little swollen. I went to friends' house for Christmas dinner and came home about 9P. When I took my shirt off I had a dark red streak that went all the way up my arm into my armpit. I thought, "Fuck!!" I felt fine, no fever, so I was thinking I might wait until morning to get it looked at, but I wasn't totally comfortable with that. I called the advice nurse at Kaiser. she said it needed to be seen right away because it was so fast-moving - it couldn't wait until morning. I was dreading going into the ER on Christmas - figured it would be jammed and I would be there for five hours.

It turned out there was nobody there. I left probably 30 minutes later with an antibiotic. When the culture came back it was some weird bug that the doc had never heard of.

I know strange things happen. Last year, on Christmas, I was in the emergency room. Christmas morning, I woke up and I noticed a couple small punctures on the heel of my hand - had no idea where they had come from. By afternoon, they were beginning to itch and they were a little swollen. I went to friends' house for Christmas dinner and came home about 9P. When I took my shirt off I had a dark red streak that went all the way up my arm into my armpit. I thought, "Fuck!!" I felt fine, no fever, so I was thinking I might wait until morning to get it looked at, but I wasn't totally comfortable with that. I called the advice nurse at Kaiser. she said it needed to be seen right away because it was so fast-moving - it couldn't wait until morning. I was dreading going into the ER on Christmas - figured it would be jammed and I would be there for five hours.

It turned out there was nobody there. I left probably 30 minutes later with an antibiotic. When the culture came back it was some weird bug that the doc had never heard of.

Something similar happened to me almost 30 years ago when I pricked myself when working outside. I went to the ER that evening. It was a Friday night and the local gangs were out in full force. It was 6 AM before they got to me. I guess gun shot wounds took precedence over a swollen thumb!

Still it illustrates that bizarre things can and do happen!

And of course there are all those stories of guys needing to have all manner of things retrieved from their butts.

Had a friend who was unable to remove a metal cockring and ended up at the ER with FIREMEN (!) having to cut it off with a saw. Sounds hot but he was in great pain and was, needless to say, overwhelmed with embarrassment.

GREAT episode but how could ANYONE even THINK of colorizing I Love Lucy?