Historic...'Call me Caitlyn'

bigvalboy
This topic is 2892 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A tiny measure of hope that everybody I know under age 25 says unselfconsciously of Jenner, "Let her live her life as she wants."

That level of acceptance is wonderful.

Just today I read that in 2012 LTCOL Malcolm McGregor, transitioning to being LTCOL Cate McGregor, sent an e-mail to people she had served with on operations saying what she was doing. One of the people she sent it to was the Regimental Sergeant Major of the Army, the senior enlisted soldier in the Australian Army. He sent a 'reply all' e-mail that began, 'Ma'am ...' (This year he, and his Navy and Air Force counterparts marched in the Mardi Gras parade in Sydney with the Defence LGBTI contingent.)

That level of acceptance is wonderful.

Just today I read that in 2012 LTCOL Malcolm McGregor, transitioning to being LTCOL Cate McGregor, sent an e-mail to people she had served with on operations saying what she was doing. One of the people she sent it to was the Regimental Sergeant Major of the Army, the senior enlisted soldier in the Australian Army. He sent a 'reply all' e-mail that began, 'Ma'am ...' (This year he, and his Navy and Air Force counterparts marched in the Mardi Gras parade in Sydney with the Defence LGBTI contingent.)

Very cool anecdote. Thanks for posting, Mike.

T

Guest Starbuck

Just an FYI ...

If you type "Bruce Jenner" into Wikipedia's search engine now, it takes you to the page of Caitlyn Jenner (although the accompanying picture is still "Bruce" as of right now) ... the opening paragraph reads:

Caitlyn Jenner (born October 28, 1949), formerly known as Bruce Jenner, is an American former track and field athlete and current television personality.

She looks like Jessica Lange to me, which isn't a bad thing. However, that cover I'm sure is airbrushed within a inch of it's life. :)

Agreed on both counts. She looks much better than I thought she would, after those horribly unflattering tabloid photos.

Rob

Guest ChrisW

Publicizing her transition is certainly her choice but putting it in the spotlight as she has done seems unsavory

bulge?.....what bulge?!!......did she already have the surgery to remove the male genitalia?.....(I hope I said all that correctly.....)

Her Wikipedia page states:

"...While she has undergone some cosmetic surgery as part of transitioning, she has not ruled out gender reassignment surgery, and feels life as a woman is primarily a matter of mental state and lifestyle. She said she has never been attracted to men and had exclusively been attracted to women before her transition, but currently identifies as asexual..."

She looks like Jessica Lange to me, which isn't a bad thing. However, that cover I'm sure is airbrushed within a inch of it's life. :)

I said and posted the same on my FB page....classic Jessica Lange...Now I wonder why no K in the name....Kaitlyn?...or maybe just break the cycle there and now...

Glad when ANYONE can truly be who they feel they are inside, but AirMOPPED would be a more accurate description of the amount of work that's been done on these pics. I tots understand wanting to look amazing and dramatically diff for the big revelation, but unlike other photoshopped celebs who we've already seen the other way (real world), the first REAL post transiton Jenner photos that come out may be quite a shock. I can't help wondering if it would have been more honest to introduce the real world Caitlyn via a second TV interview first.

I wonder how her wife truly feels? I can't imagine marrying a man, then having him become a woman!

http://www.reunitingall.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/technology-4against-emoticons-525x375.jpg

As we all welcome Caitlyn, let's not forget the violence transgender people face everyday. This article is full of great info/data about the problems trans women who are not white and able to be on a magazine cover encounter.

http://www.advocate.com/politics/transgender/2015/06/01/heres-how-trans-folks-welcomed-caitlyn-jenner-twitterverse?team=social

As we all welcome Caitlyn, let's not forget the violence transgender people face everyday. This article is full of great info/data about the problems trans women who are not white and able to be on a magazine cover encounter.

http://www.advocate.com/politics/transgender/2015/06/01/heres-how-trans-folks-welcomed-caitlyn-jenner-twitterverse?team=social

Double like....

As a Republican hopefully he'll help with the following subjects:

The ACLU champions transgender people’s right to be themselves. We’re fighting discrimination in employment, housing, and public places, including restrooms. We’re working to make sure trans people get the health care they need and we're challenging obstacles to changing the gender marker on identification documents and obtaining legal name changes. We’re fighting to protect the rights and safety of transgender people in prison, jail, and detention facilities as well as the right of trans and gender nonconforming students to be treated with respect at school. Finally, we’re working to secure the rights of transgender parents the poor ones obviously, the rich ones can just hire an expensive lawyer... (I added the last part, it's sarcasm/common sense)

https://www.aclu.org/issues/lgbt-rights/transgender-rights

As a Republican hopefully he'll help with the following subjects:

The ACLU champions transgender people’s right to be themselves. We’re fighting discrimination in employment, housing, and public places, including restrooms. We’re working to make sure trans people get the health care they need and we're challenging obstacles to changing the gender marker on identification documents and obtaining legal name changes. We’re fighting to protect the rights and safety of transgender people in prison, jail, and detention facilities as well as the right of trans and gender nonconforming students to be treated with respect at school. Finally, we’re working to secure the rights of transgender parents the poor ones obviously, the rich ones can just hire an expensive lawyer... (I added the last part, it's sarcasm/common sense)

https://www.aclu.org/issues/lgbt-rights/transgender-rights

lol...that's a tall order Marylander especially for a Republican.....but wouldn't that be something. It will be interesting to see where he falls on some of these issues. He does have privilege of celebrity and wealth, so his transition is far different than many in the LGBT community that are at or below the poverty line, and are struggling just to keep a roof over their head. Add to that the escalating medical costs, lifestyle change and trying to find a home in the job market. He did raise awareness, hopefully has inspired, and perhaps will champion the rights of others...After watching this unfold however, I fear that it potentially has all the makings of a lounge act in Vegas....time will tell.

Archived