Historic...'Call me Caitlyn'

bigvalboy
This topic is 2892 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know, I can't believe I'm reviving this thread. My reason is two-fold:

1. QTR, I miss you & your brain. hurry back. This was an extraordinary post:

Thanks. Most of the credit should go to the people I know who are trans, parents of trans individuals, or trans advocates like my daughter, who is even more skeptical about what gender means than I do. (The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree.)

• 1 month later...

I'll know that Caitlyn is serious when the re-assignment surgery is complete and there will be no going back. I'm amazed that the hormone therapies have not resulted in a bit more feminine gal-- she tromps around and sounds like Bruce in glam drag. It wouldn't surprise me that season five of "Call me Cait" is about her return to manhood and K family values.

Peace,

Kipp

I'll know that Caitlyn is serious when the re-assignment surgery is complete and there will be no going back. I'm amazed that the hormone therapies have not resulted in a bit more feminine gal-- she tromps around and sounds like Bruce in glam drag. It wouldn't surprise me that season five of "Call me Cait" is about her return to manhood and K family values.

Peace,

Kipp

I'm curious to see if she does the re-assignment & talks about it openly. Personally, I think that is none of our business, but the dialogue could be interesting. in the show, they do talk quite a bit about how intimately personal it is for transgender folks to discuss what type of equipment is between their legs. My MTF girlfriend has yet to tell me and I've never asked. I've known her for 10 years. It seems to be a discussion to be had between partners, not just with the curious or even close friends apparently. I do feel for Caitlyn on the feminity angle. How old is she? 66? It has to be tough to unwire 60+ years of walking, talking, tromping around and pounding her chest like a man (actually a jock) when all along she was a woman inside.

I'm curious to see if she does the re-assignment & talks about it openly. Personally, I think that is none of our business, but the dialogue could be interesting. in the show, they do talk quite a bit about how intimately personal it is for transgender folks to discuss what type of equipment is between their legs. My MTF girlfriend has yet to tell me and I've never asked. I've known her for 10 years. It seems to be a discussion to be had between partners, not just with the curious or even close friends apparently. I do feel for Caitlyn on the feminity angle. How old is she? 66? It has to be tough to unwire 60+ years of walking, talking, tromping around and pounding her chest like a man (actually a jock) when all along she was a woman inside.

I would imagine it is as difficult to unwire 60+ years of the behavior you described as it is for many closeted and recently out gay men to unwire the self-hating, homophobic behavior they have demonstrated for all of their lives. That being said...

As much as I want to have the same level of empathy for Caitlyn Jenner as I do for a fella I know who is starting his transition, it is hard for me to do so. I might feel differently if Caitlyn actually did something to help the cause of trans and gender fluid people, but to the best of my knowledge she hasn't. It is none of my business whether she has a penis or a vagina and even if it was I couldn't care less. What's important to me is what she is doing with herself. Sadly, I'm not seeing much in the way of "giving back."

I would imagine it is as difficult to unwire 60+ years of the behavior you described as it is for many closeted and recently out gay men to unwire the self-hating, homophobic behavior they have demonstrated for all of their lives. That being said...

As much as I want to have the same level of empathy for Caitlyn Jenner as I do for a fella I know who is starting his transition, it is hard for me to do so. I might feel differently if Caitlyn actually did something to help the cause of trans and gender fluid people, but to the best of my knowledge she hasn't. It is none of my business whether she has a penis or a vagina and even if it was I couldn't care less. What's important to me is what she is doing with herself. Sadly, I'm not seeing much in the way of "giving back."

Wonderful point! Thank you. The only thing that keeps me somewhat more empathetic towards Caitlyn is that she debuted her new self about...what? Two years ago? I don't think she knew what pressures or opportunities she would face nor the kind of backlash and hatred/impatience that would ensue. Even the so called experts on this topic are struggling with this territory of her public persona.

I remember being a fresh "gay" out of the closet @ 14 in a buenos aires boarding school. At that time, what I craved most was just a little understanding and patience while I figured my own shit out. instead I got bullied and hated for succeeding in academics and sports and making friends with cute girls. 24 years later, I'm still craving some of the same understanding - not so much for myself, but for others who are newbies to brand new experiences or extremely difficult odds/scrutiny. To me, empathy and patience are not static...both qualities should grow by testing their limits instead of recoiling back into our personal dogma.

Now, I'm hungry! Can someone bake me some rainbow cake and serve up some mimosas? @rvwnsd ...I wish I was in SD today. Smooch.

Wonderful point! Thank you. The only thing that keeps me somewhat more empathetic towards Caitlyn is that she debuted her new self about...what? Two years ago? I don't think she knew what pressures or opportunities she would face nor the kind of backlash and hatred/impatience that would ensue. Even the so called experts on this topic are struggling with this territory of her public persona....

Those are great points. She would probably have been embraced more warmly by the trans community had she been more of an advocate and less of "The Caitlyn Show."

...I remember being a fresh "gay" out of the closet @ 14 in a buenos aires boarding school. At that time, what I craved most was just a little understanding and patience while I figured my own shit out. instead I got bullied and hated for succeeding in academics and sports and making friends with cute girls.

I must have missed your reality television show. What network was it on? :p

...Now, I'm hungry! Can someone bake me some rainbow cake and serve up some mimosas? @rvwnsd ...I wish I was in SD today. Smooch.

You are welcome any time. I can make mimosas, but you don't want to taste my cakes. I'm a great cook, but not much of a baker. The "break and bake" cookie dough is about all that turns out consistently well at the rvwnsd bakery.

Archived