I'm going to drop a dime on this broken record.

purplekow
This topic is 2366 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

. It was climbing a scale upwards, towards a climax, and then <ka thunk> hit the scratch and returned back down, only to climb up again, and again, and again, and again. Sort of like edging!

Indeed, carriage return went out with the IBM Selectric. You DO know what a Selectric is, right? Oh forget it....

Climax is a perfectly appropriate musical term. All we like climaxes, right? :)

I do know what a Selectric is. I bought a used one when I was in college, and the console of the school's IBM 1130 computer used the same mechanism.

Funny, I'm looking down the keyboard of my mac laptop and there's a key that still says "Return"!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
I think it is interesting that almost everyone still refers to "dialing" a number, even though almost no one has a phone with a dial on it any longer, and the sound on a landline phone that lets one know that one can punch in a number is still called a "dial tone."

We rarely store gloves anymore in the "glove compartment" (its original purpose) in our cars, but we still call it glove compartment, glovebox or glovie. :-)

My grandmother said upon exiting the grocery, "Prices in there are high as a cat's back!"

i still imagine the prices rising as she walked past the shelves just as a cat's back arches. Before and after Granny walked by the prices were normal, but as she walked past they rose 50% or so.

My grandfater used to say someone was "hoist by his own petard" when a person got into trouble over a stupid action. When I was a kid, I thought he was saying something dirty. I finally found the meaning and the origin in a high school English lit class. I love the expression and use it often; the baffled looks on people's faces is always worth the trouble!

Other expressions that the older generation of my youth used to use: High as a kite. Fresh as a daisy. Sweet as a rose. In like Flynn. Paramour. Water closet.

My grandfater used to say someone was "hoist by his own petard" when a person got into trouble over a stupid action. When I was a kid, I thought he was saying something dirty. I finally found the meaning and the origin in a high school English lit class. I love the expression and use it often; the baffled looks on people's faces is always worth the trouble!

Other expressions that the older generation of my youth used to use: High as a kite. Fresh as a daisy. Sweet as a rose. In like Flynn. Paramour. Water closet.

Water closet is the standard British term for the room we Americans usually refer to as the toilet or the bathroom (even when it doesn't have a bath in it), generally shortened to simply the WC, which is how it is labeled almost everywhere in Europe for the aid of English speakers.

I guess giving someone the Bum's rush was always impolite but is using that expression un PC. When was the last time you heard the word bum that is did not refer to someone's ass?

Speaking of nice bums, I was turn dial on the TV set and ran across About a Boy. What stopped me cold was a hot guy in corduroy pants with an amazing ass. He plays a character Mr. Chris who is the love interest for the mother played by Minnie Driver. i can not seem to locate his name so I can look up photos. Anyone have any ideas or his name?

• 2 years later...
And that brings to mind last year's New Years Resolution, to stop using two spaces after periods or colons. It's a difficult habit to break.

In macOS or iOS, if you type two spaces in quick succession after a word in apps that use the system text service, they will be replaced with a period and a single space, even if you have autocorrupt turned off.

Edited by oldNbusted

Twice today the expression, "sounds like a broken record" came up and both times I thought that a lot of younger people have no idea what a broken records sounds like. In fact it really isnt a broken record more a scratched record but I digress. This led me to consider other expressions which refer to things which are outdated or no longer exist, such as records. Is there an expression that is easily substituted for a husband telling his wife that she "sounds like a broken record".

If you are going to drop a dime on someone, do the young people of today even know about telephone booths and the usual fee of 10 cents to make a local call. I do not even have a cent sign on my keyboard.

So forum members, any familar references or expressions which once had a precise reference which almost all would recognize and which now refers to something of a bygone age or which has faded into obselescence.

I always thought that 'dropping a dime' on someone was ratting them out??

I always thought that 'dropping a dime' on someone was ratting them out??

It does, but purplekow's point was that today's kids, even if they know the expression, don't realize it means dropping a dime (or 2 nickles) into a pay phone to make the call to rat somebody out. I remember when the charge went from 10 cents to 25. Then again, I remember wooden phone booths (with seats) that had a light turn on when you closed the door, and a fan you could on or off via a switch above the phone.

It does, but purplekow's point was that today's kids, even if they know the expression, don't realize it means dropping a dime (or 2 nickles) into a pay phone to make the call to rat somebody out. I remember when the charge went from 10 cents to 25. Then again, I remember wooden phone booths (with seats) that had a light turn on when you closed the door, and a fan you could on or off via a switch above the phone.

ok that makes sense, or it could be the cost of a postage stamp?