Barcelona - Sauna Thermas - It only got better!

imrthr

Of course, you’re entitled to your view @SirBIllybob and to interpret the Catalan legislation.

I do not mean to quarrel with you but I have several good Catalan friends living in Barcelona. They tell me much the same story. Citizens have been asked to stay home as much as possible. Restrictions are being enforced, police are levying fines, nightlife is dead.

Alas, my friends do not frequent the saunas so I cannot comment specifically on Thermas.

Oh, I am not at all surprised about reports on the ground there. I am not being at all contrarian. Like in many places people are laying low though they can elect to circulate more out and about. That is a good sign. The risks are high. Attendees at the saunas have real or perceived immunity or risk tolerance for prolonged morbidity or 1:83 odds of death there (though we have yet to see mortality climb with this second wave). They cannot easily replicate their set points of sexual interaction through TicToc and such, and the venues are a tiny unique microcosm of general social interaction.

Edited by SirBIllybob

FWIW the Spanish Health Minister gave an interview today in ‘La Vanguardia’ about the recent surge in cases. He said that the various regions have agreed on what further restrictions to impose if the number of cases continues to climb.

He added that more than half the cases are asymptomatic, the average age (40) is lower than before, and the infection is milder. There’s little pressure on the hospitals and the “number of deaths is very different”.

Death kept pace with incidence in March because mainly only symptomatic cases were diagnosed. There were barely a few days spread between incidence peaking and mortality peaking.

There was very recently a 5-fold uptick in mortality from the summer lows, relative to a 15-fold uptick in new infections. Sometimes the death rate is deceptively low in absolute terms or seems proportionally lower yet subsequently latently spikes, as we saw a similar disconnect in the USA (I rolled my eyes a few months ago as Pence and the Texas governor highlighted the appearance of less lethality at that time), and then mortality rates caught up again.

I wonder if the newer trend of lower age central tendency simply means, in part, that those that eventually die take longer for severity and death to occur, although death obviously selectively favours the longer in tooth to take to its bosom.

Fingers crossed that new upcoming waves are less devastating.

For a little updated perspective, CoV deaths to date in Spain are approximately equivalent to 8 years of influenza/pneumonia mortality there. Yet the tally falls short of the annualized influenza mortality rate for about 60 poorer nations, and many nations maintain higher related mortality even if the CoV death toll in Spain multiplies by 3 times the current toll over the next six months!

I think hypothetically that to prevent one-eighth of CoV deaths in Spain more people would queue up for vaccination than typically do so for influenza vaccine. Flu prevention is rather a shit show if you consider that in an ideal world we may beat CoV yet in another 8 years just as many Spaniards will have died due to influenza unless vaccine uptake is ramped up extensively.

Edited by SirBIllybob

FYI the minimum fine for each infraction of the pandemic rules in Spain has just been increased by 20% and is now €120.

Damn inflation. The price of a ticket to pandemic management theatre is bound to shift around. The thing is, likely well under 20% of infractions anywhere are detected. Could be in the ballpark of 99% under the radar; who knows?

When has aversive behaviour modification ever appreciably altered human inclinations towards self-efficacy. Someone dies after gasping how reckless they were, someone gets an infraction invoice, what have you, it all appears to be newsworthy. ‘That’ll learn ‘em’.

The curve tells the story. It is far too overarching epidemiologically to quantify the effect of fines on it. Correlation is not causation but at this point there seems to be an association, likely spurious, between criminalizing disregard and upswing in CoV incidence in Spain.

likely well under 20% of infractions anywhere are detected

I assume that figure was plucked out of the air @SirBIllybob. I can only post about Barcelona/Spain here but the police are out in force.

They are reported as acting swiftly, particularly where large groups of more than 10 (the number at which they act) congregate. Given the myriad restrictions, fines can be severe eg being away from home, without a mask, and in a cafe with more than 10 people leads to a minimum fine of €360.

I hope it’s a sufficient deterrent to get people to act sensibly and slow the rate of infection.

I assume that figure was plucked out of the air @SirBIllybob. I can only post about Barcelona/Spain here but the police are out in force.

They are reported as acting swiftly, particularly where large groups of more than 10 (the number at which they act) congregate. Given the myriad restrictions, fines can be severe eg being away from home, without a mask, and in a cafe with more than 10 people leads to a minimum fine of €360.

I hope it’s a sufficient deterrent to get people to act sensibly and slow the rate of infection.

It will undoubtedly not make zero difference.

In health there is the notion of number needed to test or treat to prevent one death for a given malady. There are limits to funding, and the ratio of effort to reducing mortality is a big factor in determining standards of screening and care. Life is precious but life also hinges on distribution of limited resources. Vast amounts of capital are withheld that essentially enables circumventable death. Moreover, vast amounts of funding are spent to prevent illness and death that is preventable if people behaved in a manner that mitigates poor outcomes. I loosely name this phenomenon: squandering based on blameless human frailty. I am personally connected to a large volume of outcomes where natural human deficiency in self-regulation was instrumental in life erasure.

The sharing of approaches to life choices may be catching. Example, the synergy of two unfortunates behaving in a way that beckons the grim reaper. The pandemic has flipped this on its head ... the broad potential reach of any individual’s careless dismissive attitude. This is an enormous game-changer. There are too many shooters to track. People criticize lack of formal pandemic playbook preparation but I think the human system factor will always have driven the outcomes we see far more than a structured pre-emptive plan. A plan would not have nullified the cognitive distortions and societal malaise to which the current patterns are attributable.

In contrast to health utilities mentioned above, it is extremely challenging to comprehensively evaluate the application of resources for pandemic control. It is inarguable that some death will be averted by sending in authority to reduce anomie. It is philosophically justifiable in that we largely support the idea of the means justifying the ends. But there is no real world precedent for literally spending every iota of general societal resource capital to spare a life. I say this figuratively, theoretically. Of course it is multiple lives and the clinical algorithms quantify for a single case because numbers are interpretable and often valuable in complex decision trees. I am just trying to make a point about the vicissitudes of trial-and-error and the impediments to efficacy evaluation in the current out-of-control context.

I oscillate between affirming “go for it; throw everything we have at it” and a jaded “sheesh, when does the resource well run dry?” I come at this as a person not yet dead and must defer the answer to the question: is what is allocated worth it? Obviously not if I end up debilitated or biting the spikey bullet.

Edited by SirBIllybob

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/26/2021 at 11:38 PM, sydneyboy said:

I was just looking at the latest COVID figures for Spain. On 26 July over 61,600 and the previous 7 day average about 25,500. I don’t think I will be enjoying the delights of Thermas any time soon.

I do believe that things will be brighter for us travelers and hunters in 2023.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 4/21/2022 at 6:20 PM, Wolfer said:

Any recent reports? I'm thinking of visiting 

It's open from 3pm to midnight I think. The fee increased to 20e except wed. The guys there are more or less, maybe slightly less than prepandemic level but still a good selection. The charge is the same, 50e per session. No mask is required or worn, no vaccine record is checked at the entrance. If you have anything else to ask, feel fee to message privately

9 hours ago, young11 said:

It's open from 3pm to midnight I think. The fee increased to 20e except wed. The guys there are more or less, maybe slightly less than prepandemic level but still a good selection. The charge is the same, 50e per session. No mask is required or worn, no vaccine record is checked at the entrance. If you have anything else to ask, feel fee to message privately

I will be there imminently following a 3-year hiatus. I typically used the premium room with toilet and sinks just off the lobby. It’s no longer depicted within the venue’s photo montage or price chart. My most recent memory of the larger bed is of a bilingual Paraguayan stud Alex burned into my brain. I realize that the crudest option there is superior to Paragonya’s pathetic partitioned cabins (included in admission) so it’s absence is not a dealbreaker. Provider quality is the more important factor.

Any insights about changes in the previous fee-based room upgrade possibilities? 

Edited by SirBillybob

• 2 months later...
53 minutes ago, MassageAdam said:

Was just at thermas this past weekend and had a great time….. a little sore but I’ve been catching up for the last 2 and 1/2 years

Hi.

I have never been in Barcelona. 

Is Late August/ September sounds like a good time? Also, I am more interested in how the hiring is going lately. Would love to meet new faces/styles. 😍  Thermas sounds like a lot of fun, in the previous threads it seems you can hire there, is that still the case?

Thanks I advance and will promise a review in how it went. 

4 hours ago, Alfstoria said:

Hi.

I have never been in Barcelona. 

Is Late August/ September sounds like a good time? Also, I am more interested in how the hiring is going lately. Would love to meet new faces/styles. 😍  Thermas sounds like a lot of fun, in the previous threads it seems you can hire there, is that still the case?

Thanks I advance and will promise a review in how it went. 

Yes you can still hire there, but with inflation several are asking for $50 euros for 30 min where it used to be an hour and then $100 for 60 min.  One dude was asking for $100 for 30 and $150 for 60 min…… he seemed like a dick at first but I eventually hired him for 30 and he was cool so I hired him to come to my hotel right after for an hour and then he seemed like a good buddy by that time, he was super sexy straight acting guy who pushed my limits and I ended up liking….. but there were some other hotties as well.  One I paid $50 for an hour and he liked me and invited me to go out to pride with him and then stayed the night with me at the hotel and fucked me and didn’t charge the entire night, it was more out of just a good attraction.  Another guy I hired a couple times and would do every day of my life if I could, was such a great fuck and so nice 

Thanks.  You read my mind

That half and hour it sounds like a good opportunity to tastes the waster  and if is a match continue at the hotel

Working in my bookings. 

Gladly, I also speak Portuguese and some  Spanish.- i know body parts, the days and time; and.the numbers. 🤣🤣🤣

I was thinking in the zurich one but didn't sound too appealing,  so Spain it is. 

Edited by Alfstoria

2 hours ago, MassageAdam said:

Yes you can still hire there, but with inflation several are asking for $50 euros for 30 min where it used to be an hour and then $100 for 60 min.  One dude was asking for $100 for 30 and $150 for 60 min…… he seemed like a dick at first but I eventually hired him for 30 and he was cool so I hired him to come to my hotel right after for an hour and then he seemed like a good buddy by that time, he was super sexy straight acting guy who pushed my limits and I ended up liking….. but there were some other hotties as well.  One I paid $50 for an hour and he liked me and invited me to go out to pride with him and then stayed the night with me at the hotel and fucked me and didn’t charge the entire night, it was more out of just a good attraction.  Another guy I hired a couple times and would do every day of my life if I could, was such a great fuck and so nice 

Were all these hires from Thermas only?