Meat Lovers: How do you like your steak cooked?

Steven_Draker
This topic is 4587 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Black and Blue --- Seared black on outside, ice cold raw center and will be slippery soft in texture.

• Very Rare --- Hot on the outside, raw on the inside and will be sort of wobbly.

• Rare --- Red cool to warm center and will be soft and spongy.

• Medium Rare --- Red warm center and will have a springy firmness.

• Medium --- Hot pink center and will have a less springy firmness than medium rare.

• Medium Well --- Slight color, cooked throughout and will feel firm.

• Well Done --- No color Left and will feel very firm and unyielding.

• None of the above (Please leave a comment)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the last few years I've been surprised that I can't just order "medium rare" as too many steak houses seem to have developed their own "scale" for rare to well-done. I actually stopped having steaks in restaurants, because they were something I could prepare at home, with a minimum of fuss, and still have generally good results. These new gourmet markets have all kinds of excellent "grass fed" beef, etc. My curiosity is how do other guys prepare a steak at home. I've moved into a high-rise condo with so many restrictions that using a grill on the patio is too hard to manage. I've seen Martha use an iron skillet with butter and/or olive oil, but that doesn't give me good results, so I must be missing something. I usually fix a rib-eye/NY strip under the broiler, rubbed with salt, pepper, minced garlic, and a sprinkle of dried tarragon. I would like to know the tricks that other guys use to prepare a really good steak, at home.

I find the best way to get a great tasting steak at home is to buy a fine grade of beef and drop if off at my friend's home and have him bring it prepared for cooking the next day. Hardest part was finding out which of my friend's can cook a really great steak. All that marinating and oil and rubbing and oozing and massaging and lightly beating and kneading and ....oh back to the steak...all that preparation I greatly appreciate but have no patience to do.

Over the last few years I've been surprised that I can't just order "medium rare" as too many steak houses seem to have developed their own "scale" for rare to well-done. I actually stopped having steaks in restaurants, because they were something I could prepare at home, with a minimum of fuss, and still have generally good results. These new gourmet markets have all kinds of excellent "grass fed" beef, etc. My curiosity is how do other guys prepare a steak at home. I've moved into a high-rise condo with so many restrictions that using a grill on the patio is too hard to manage. I've seen Martha use an iron skillet with butter and/or olive oil, but that doesn't give me good results, so I must be missing something. I usually fix a rib-eye/NY strip under the broiler, rubbed with salt, pepper, minced garlic, and a sprinkle of dried tarragon. I would like to know the tricks that other guys use to prepare a really good steak, at home.

One of the problems with restaurants is that the steak continues cooking after it leaves the fire, so by the time it reaches your table it can be overdone. That's obviously easy to avoid when you're cooking it at home because presumably you're not waiting for an overworked waiter to come along and deliver the payload.

The Martha iron skillet technique relies on having the iron skillet piping hot when the meat goes in so that you get a good sear, theoretically sealing in the juices. (Although I've seen the sear theory refuted just recently on some food blog.) Remove the skillet from the heat at the start of searing, then turn the meat and shove it under the broiler. (I've seen Todd English, Bobby Flay, Tyler Florence, and several others use the same technique.)

Given a nice thick steak, I just use the normal broiler pan but I move the rack one notch further away from the flame than would normally be used for browning. The outside gets a good sizzle without over cooking the inside, but it depends on the cut and the thickness.

I enjoy a medium rare porterhouse or t-bone. I'm curious, for those who prefer their steaks cooked rare, aren't you somewhat concerned about not having the meat cooked well enough to prevent foodborne illness? If I recall correctly the USDA recommends red meat to be cooked to at least a medium rare (a minimum of 145 °F internal temp). I used to love rare but after one bad experience of getting very sick after eating a steak that way I've since had my steaks prepared medium rare to medium.

I travel for a living and I have this weird habit of always having a steak the first night I am in a hotel. And yes it does depends on how long it takes for room service to get to your room since the steak does keep cooking...so I order it rare and it always (well almost always) arrived medium rare...the way I like it.

For me a good t-bone or a New York Strip is the best.

However, what I really enjoy is coming home in the midst of winter, bundling up and turning on the grill and cooking my own steak.

I take the steak out of the refrigerator an hour or so before cooking it. I use the oven broiler, since stove-top searing tends to set off my smoke alarms. I sprinkle it with some garlic salt and, depending on my mood, I may add dried basil or rosemary. When it's done, I put it on a plate, place a small pat of butter on it and cover it for about 5 minutes, to let it rest.

I seldom order steaks in restaurants because it's so easy to do it yourself.

Archived