Meat Lovers: How do you like your steak cooked?

Steven_Draker
This topic is 4587 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've never had any issues with becoming sick from eating it to rare, and from the responses I've seen, I probably have it rarer than most. And being basically a meat and potatoes guy, I have a lot of steaks at restaurants and at home. At home, it's either on the grill outside or, when weather prohibits it, putting in my Showtime rotisserie. It really does a great job. Sprinkle a few seasonings on it and it's good to go.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always order my steaks blood rare. The server usually responds that in that case it will be cool in the center. My answer is I certainly hope so.

At home I most frequently grill my steaks outside weather permitting. If I cook it inside I sear it in an extremely hot cast iron skillet with a very little butter and olive oil. I then finish it BRIEFLY in a 400 oven.

I could easily live on blood rare steak and well done chicken.

On the rare side of medium rare. But I also am adventurous and like steak tartar as well as beef carpaccio. That's just plain delicious. Also really like hamburgers done on the grill with some sort of sensational barbecue sauce - medium. Filet mignon sirloin, NY strip, porterhouse - it's all good.

On the rare side of medium rare. But I also am adventurous and like steak tartar as well as beef carpaccio. That's just plain delicious. Also really like hamburgers done on the grill with some sort of sensational barbecue sauce - medium. Filet mignon sirloin, NY strip, porterhouse - it's all good.

The only RAW meat ill be eattin better have pubic hair.....

But JJ that could just simply mean that they had a clothing optional kitchen, and the chef or food-preparer was shoddy about his manscaping or hadn't kept with the bikini waxing - a terrible thing that I understand frequently happens during the shoulder season when guys aren't going to the beach so much. Accidents happen - public hair gets on the meat. Don't be so judgmental, for crying out loud!

I like mine medium, for both color, juiciness, flavor, and texture.

Was trained as a chef in a different career before, I think both Jackboy and Seeker have down the popular ways most beef is cooked commercially these days. Some key points the pros you to maximize flavor and promote consistency in cooking:

- bring meat to room temperature (at least 30 minutes) prior to cooking

- season meet dry and liberally before cooking with coarse salt and fresh ground pepper

- place a well-seasonsed cast iron skillet over medium high heat until a light smoke

- place meat in skillet, unmoving, turning heat down to medium

- cook to sear meat on all sides

- place meat and skillet into pre-heated convection oven at 375 degrees, cook until desired doneness (nothing beats practice and practice between the cook and the cooking equipment used) can be best checked with instant read thermometer into the thickest part of the meet

- after cooking, remove meat and let the meat rest for 3-5 minutes to redistribute the juices before cutting into it, or you lose the juice and some of the flavor, place the serving plate used in the oven

- I like to put a small pat of butter followed by fresh cracked pepper while the meat rests

- The meat will always continue to cook while resting, so err more rare than you desire so it will finish cooking after it is out of the oven

- Serve on a the hot plate from the oven

If you aren't happy with your meat, try again, or seek out a great esort and enjoy each other's meat. Everybody wins!

Archived