Gen Z Has Officially Canceled Ankle Socks: "They're For Old People"

Gen Z Has Officially Canceled Ankle Socks: "They're For Old People"

A TikTok that says you can tell someone from Gen Z apart from a millennial based on the socks they are wearing at the gym is going viral. Gen Z wears crew socks, and millennials/everyone else wears ankle socks.

WWW.BUZZFEED.COM

The way I went to the gym and noticed this theory is 100% accurate.

This is a stupid thing to be concerned about.  Are there really that many people looking at the type of socks other people wear?  I can tell you that I don't even notice someone's shoes or socks unless there is something unusual that calls attention to them.

I used to wear ankle socks a lot about 20 years ago (when I was 40-ish), but I have almost exclusively worn ankle socks for the past decade.  This isn't due to chasing a trend but rather more to do with feeling okay about wearing the same socks when doing things other than exercising.  I do think it looks weird to wear ankle socks with long pants, particularly in an office environment.

I really doubt that most men over 40 are wearing ankle socks.  Haven't crew socks been more-or-less the norm for a long time?

26 minutes ago, maninsoma said:

This is a stupid thing to be concerned about.  Are there really that many people looking at the type of socks other people wear?  I can tell you that I don't even notice someone's shoes or socks unless there is something unusual that calls attention to them.

I used to wear ankle socks a lot about 20 years ago (when I was 40-ish), but I have almost exclusively worn ankle socks for the past decade.  This isn't due to chasing a trend but rather more to do with feeling okay about wearing the same socks when doing things other than exercising.  I do think it looks weird to wear ankle socks with long pants, particularly in an office environment.

I really doubt that most men over 40 are wearing ankle socks.  Haven't crew socks been more-or-less the norm for a long time?

with long pants nobody will notice what kind of socks you're wearing in the office. 

I wear both types of socks with shorts and long (normal) socks with pants. 

I had to look up the difference between ankle socks and quarter socks......I wear quarter socks and have for many years because they're cooler in the warm area in which I live and because crew socks look dorky (though they certainly didn't look dorky when I was a kid back in the 70s)......I guess ankle socks don't cover outside the shoe top??.....if so, the rubbing between skin and shoe along the Achilles tendon would give me instant blisters......

that's all I got for the world of sox!......and I don't know what Ellen is crying about up top!!

15 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

with long pants nobody will notice what kind of socks you're wearing in the office. 

I wear both types of socks with shorts and long (normal) socks with pants. 

I find that when I sit down, the area around my ankles shows.  Not that that means people are looking, but that part of one's leg is visible unless one wears pants that are so long that they still cover the top of one's shoes while sitting.

1 hour ago, maninsoma said:

I find that when I sit down, the area around my ankles shows.  Not that that means people are looking, but that part of one's leg is visible unless one wears pants that are so long that they still cover the top of one's shoes while sitting.

If they are walking by or even if they are seated they're not looking either.

I did actually ponder why it looks like young guys don't wear socks with their shoes.

Didn't realize it was "a thing"...where they felt they would look out of touch by covering their ankle.

Reminds me of when women were considered very modern for exposing their kneesimage.gif.24b9085143a2f64ae4d85e038231e669.gif

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

I did actually ponder why it looks like young guys don't wear socks with their shoes.

Didn't realize it was "a thing"...where they felt they would look out of touch by covering their ankle.

Reminds me of when women were considered very modern for exposing their kneesimage.gif.24b9085143a2f64ae4d85e038231e669.gif

The claim is actually the reverse.  You should be seeing socks on young men because they supposedly wear crew socks, not shorter socks that might not be visible when shoes are worn.  But I assume this is another low-quality article online, like so much other stuff I see that's either completely manufactured reality or so far from the truth in the attention-grabbing-headline that it might as well be made up.

I never cared for how ankle socks feel, so I guess I'll keep doing what I do and Gen Z can find something else to judge my Gen X ass.  I'll judge them on their use of one space after a period and how they don't look over their shoulder when reversing.

9 hours ago, DynamicUno said:

I'll judge them on their use of one space after a period

Come on…they weren’t born when that changed. When we went from fixed font typewriters to proportionally spaced fonts on our computers a single space is considered more aesthetic. Even the Chicago Manual of Style says single space.

Found this, made me smile:

Nothing Says Over 40 Like Two Spaces after a Period!

On 5/16/2024 at 6:34 PM, SlimJim said:

When I was young, if you wore shorts, you had to wear white socks.  Only the old geezers wore black socks with shorts.  Now, I still can't get used to seeing everyone wearing black socks with shorts.

And yes, I do realize that I'm now one of the old geezers...