Do we walk faster?

Pensant

One of my younger friends says that gays walk faster than straight people. I know that I’ve always walked pretty fast, but I always attributed that to my Type A personality. Also, I often track my speed on an app. Is this something any of you have observed or know anything about?

A harmless Monday morning distraction!

Walking fast is said to be a reliable indicator of good health in old age, according to studies in the UK. (Of course, causation has not been established). I notice that when I’m feeling particularly energetic, I walk very quickly. 

I also notice that young people tend to walk rather slowly. That is perhaps due to them concentrating on their phones. 

5 hours ago, Pensant said:

One of my younger friends says that gays walk faster than straight people. I know that I’ve always walked pretty fast, but I always attributed that to my Type A personality. Also, I often track my speed on an app. Is this something any of you have observed or know anything about?

A harmless Monday morning distraction!

I think some of us do walk faster. For being gay? I couldn't tell, and trust me, I love observing men walking. I guess this gives me a research project. 😁

On my first trip to Key West a few years ago, I found myself getting annoyed by all the slow moving people I had to keep passing on the sidewalks. It finally dawned on me that I was the only one moving that fast. I was on vacation by myself, had no specific destination on my walk and no set schedule, just exploring the town. Yet I was passing everyone right and left. It took me a while and I really had to focus on it, but I eventually slowed my pace and blended in.

On a recent vacation with my brother, he mentioned a couple of times that I needed to slow down because he's not as young as he used to be. He's a year & a half younger than I am. 😁

I walk much faster than my husband, who is 7 years older than I am, but then I have always walked faster than he did, even fifty years ago. It could be just because I have longer legs than he does.

Yesterday I was playing tennis for the first time with a young woman in her 20s; when I happened to mention my age, she said, "But you're older than my grandfather, and he couldn't possibly keep up with you!!" If I had read this thread, I suppose I could have just explained, "But I'm gay."