75 year-old American art gallery owner stabbed to death in Rio apt

solacesoul

3 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

some of these comments seem to be from people with limited or no experience in Rio

you guys are way better off on “the other site” where it’s all fantasy & delusions 

I don’t know if you are referring to me but in any case I visited Rio back in 2002 for 10 days with three other gays from Florida. I was spending my winters there but am from Canada. One of the group had an apartment in Rio and we other three stayed in a hotel on Copacabana Beach. 

Our companion who had the apartment had a similar profile to this murder victim. He was a millionaire with a house in Boston and condos in Montreal, Ft Lauderdale and Rio. He was younger, in his 50’s. His apartment in Florida was spectacular, a penthouse overlooking the Port of Ft. Lauderdale and the ocean. 

The one in Rio was in a good neighborhood and luxurious by Brazil standards. He used to pick up taxi drivers in Rio. I visited the saunas practically every day, both there and in Sao Paulo where I made a side visit for 3 days out of the ten I was in Brazil.

I went out day and night in both cities and had no problems. My nephew went to Rio 3 weeks after my visit and got held up in daylight at knife point behind the Copacabana Palace Hotel. They took his and his girlfriend’s money and jewelry. 

I have read the country is not the same as 20 years ago so not sure I would go back if the opportunity arose. All those old friends are dead now (by natural causes).

23 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

My nephew went to Rio 3 weeks after my visit and got held up in daylight at knife point behind the Copacabana Palace Hotel. They took his and his girlfriend’s money and jewelry. 

FYI:

Although the hotel is spectacular, the area around it is notoriously dangerous for visiting gringos. 

for those who are interested in facts about Rio, from a Brazilian source - see the attached, the December 5 2023 headline is 

THEFT & ROBBERY RATES SKYROCKET IN COPACABANA, WITH  ROUTINE SCENES OF VIOLENCE 

the point is overall Copacabana specific crime is up more than 25% in one year, (2022 to 2023) - and pedestrian crime is up 56% in one year.  And that’s on top of an existing very high crime rate. 

G1.GLOBO.COM

Segundo os dados do Instituto de Segurança Pública, o bairro teve alta de roubos (25%) e furtos (23%), na comparação entre 2022 e 2023. No último sábado...

sure, totally safe - just like any other city.  nothing to see here 

7 hours ago, solacesoul said:

The ex Daniel does not live in Cuba. He was brought to Brazil about 14 years ago seeking political asylum due to sexual orientation persecution assisted by the dead client Sikkema. He has Brazilian residency as asylee, and a U.S. green card through marriage to Sikkema. He was living back and forth between Brazil and the USA, and trying to live in the USA full time with the 14 year old son born to a surrogate in CA. He is currently in the USA. Due to his political asylum status and previous prison stint in Cuba,  as well as his memoir that trashed the Cuban government, returning to Cuba even just to visit family would not be a wise move for him. 

If as a US greencard holder, i don't think he will be able to renew nor become a citizen if found guilty of murder. 

2 hours ago, Luv2play said:

I have read the country is not the same as 20 years ago

no, it’s not the same situation today as it was 20 years ago - it is far worse now, mainly due to economic inequality getting progressively worse and a general feeling among the poor that there is no way out & there never will be.  
So, they turn to crime to put food on the table & money for basic necessities. It’s a desperate situation for many - so if robbing a tourist is the easiest solution, so be it. It’s survival for them.
Robbing & assaulting tourists is easy in Rio because the tourists are crammed into a relatively small geographic area surrounded by extreme poverty in the favelas/slums which are the centers for drug dealers, gangs, weapons & prostitution.  The criminals are in such close proximity to the tourists that they mix in easily and select their many targets at will, then they disappear back into the favelas. 

Its well known the Rio police are corrupt and are in on the some of the criminal activity - they get paid almost nothing.  What do you spect them to do ?

6 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

some of these comments seem to be from people with limited or no experience in Rio

you guys are way better off on “the other site” where it’s all fantasy & delusions 

I like the other site. It has the best info on Thailand and Brazil.

Edited by Lucky

3 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

for those who are interested in facts about Rio, from a Brazilian source - see the attached, the December 5 2023 headline is 

THEFT & ROBBERY RATES SKYROCKET IN COPACABANA, WITH  ROUTINE SCENES OF VIOLENCE 

the point is overall Copacabana specific crime is up more than 25% in one year, (2022 to 2023) - and pedestrian crime is up 56% in one year.  And that’s on top of an existing very high crime rate. 

G1.GLOBO.COM

Segundo os dados do Instituto de Segurança Pública, o bairro teve alta de roubos (25%) e furtos (23%), na comparação entre 2022 e 2023. No último sábado...

sure, totally safe - just like any other city.  nothing to see here 

I only have great memories of Rio from 22 years ago. I mixed with the locals every day during the daytime. I paint so several days I took my artists pad and pastels and sketched scenes on the beach and in the local outdoor food market. 

The kids would surround me and not being able to communicate with them , they would give me the thumbs up to indicate their approval. And big smiles. 

After visiting the saunas in the early evening we would go out to dinner near the beaches, take taxis as required and sit in a local square near our hotel later having drinks. 

I’m glad to have these memories and when I look at the oil paintings in my house that I did later from the sketches and the framed sketches themselves, some of which I gave to family, I am reminded of that great vacation. 

• 4 weeks later...

I sadly recognize him and have met him personally. He was very lovely and would dine at that Chicken place ( Gaitos Grill) in Ipanema on certain nights, with let's just say friends and boys from the favellas.  The chicken place being on the same street parallel to the gay barakas 

Sad to see this. 

My MO in Rio is basically one card and ID, one cheap watch, and just a little bit of cash.  I only bring my phone if I have a friend to watch it. I once left my flip flops on the beach one of those sellers stole it. I had to get on a cab to Shopping Leblon ( barefoot) to buy something to walk on.

The rest of my valuables in the managers safe at my hotel. 

I know there are folks that love boys from the favellas  . Think with your mind not your cock. 

Edited by Alex93108

On 2/9/2024 at 2:21 PM, solacesoul said:

FYI:

Although the hotel is spectacular, the area around it is notoriously dangerous for visiting gringos. 

Service is not the same singe the former manager left - I remember her distinctly - she would always remember the regulars. The place was really classy and well run . I went after covid Spainard  took over the place and it's not the same.   A haven from the rest of Rio. 

Edited by Alex93108