Volunteering to commemorate MLK day?

marylander1940

Somehow very few people remember volunteering and remembrance are the main inspirations for this holiday. 

DCIST.COM

Many people use the holiday as a chance to give back. These organizations could use help with park cleanups, food drives, and other events.
OAKLANDSIDE.ORG

MLK Day is the only national holiday recognized as a day of service. In Oakland, Jan. 15 is dedicated to "cleaning and greening" the city.

I did work at my local MLK Day of Service several times. This year I was away in a different city. I have volunteered plenty in my lifetime and at this point I feel that the younger generation seems ready to take the reigns. I agree that there should be more people involved in volunteering in general.

14 hours ago, soloyo215 said:

I agree that there should be more people involved in volunteering in general.

My sense is that younger folks aren’t volunteering as much, but I could be wrong. An old friend of mine and I were discussing this recently and we both noticed how the service organizations of the past like the Lions, Jaycees, Kiwanis and even the Rotary Club seem to have shrunk significantly. I must admit that I always thought these groups were a form of Babbitry, but now I regret that elitist attitude.

1 minute ago, Pensant said:

My sense is that younger folks aren’t volunteering as much, but I could be wrong. An old friend of mine and I were discussing this recently and we both noticed how the service organizations of the past like the Lions, Jaycees, Kiwanis and even the Rotary Club seem to have shrunk significantly. I must admit that I always thought these groups were a form of Babbitry, but now I regret that elitist attitude.

There has been a shift in culture in that sense (IMO). Many young people seem to think that ranting online about the environment, being disorderly in marches and displaying similar behavior online and offline is what volunteering and activism are. Also, a lot of the inititatives are now sponsored by private companies for PR purposes (which don't do much for the community, especially long-term), and (at least in my city) there have been protests and activism against non-profit organizations that are supposed to help communities and not only aren't, but they have discriminated against the communities that they are supposed to serve. Some of those places now have questionable reputations.

The older generations can still volunteer, but I have seen (in my circle, at least), a lot of disappointment, and an attitude that they are the ones in need, so they perceive volunteering as taking away from their own needed resources.

18 minutes ago, soloyo215 said:

There has been a shift in culture in that sense (IMO). Many young people seem to think that ranting online about the environment, being disorderly in marches and displaying similar behavior online and offline is what volunteering and activism are.

Absolutely.

20-somethings are always looking for "someone else" to DO everything and PAY for everything.

They volunteer their voice but they themselves are too coddled to actually DO anything usefull.

That’s not been my experience with today’s 20-somethings; know plenty serving in organizations like AmeriCorp, or who have taken first jobs with non-profits and public interest orgs, or taken on other low paying (and thankless) jobs like teaching. Many in my circles are very committed to their communities and various causes.

I think volunteering is great. But in my own experience I have found some non profit organizations to be skeptical of using volunteers. I almost feel like some non profits are thinking what is this person really trying to get in return?  I remember I wanted to volunteer for a local food bank, and I got an impression from them that they were thinking why would someone be looking to work for free? Plus they asked all sorts of screening questions, like if I had received food from the food bank before. Because they didn’t allow people who have received food from them to volunteer. Which I haven’t. I ultimately decided not to do it. I could be overthinking this, but this is just my experience.

On 1/16/2024 at 10:43 AM, Km411 said:

That’s not been my experience with today’s 20-somethings; know plenty serving in organizations like AmeriCorp, or who have taken first jobs with non-profits and public interest orgs, or taken on other low paying (and thankless) jobs like teaching. Many in my circles are very committed to their communities and various causes.

Excellent point, and I don't disagree. I didn't intend to neither put down those who actually volunteer, nor to refer to specific individuals. I'm talking about the culture, which allows for more generalizations. No way am I suggesting that there aren't any youth who are doing a wonderful job at volunteering, especially those who I've seen at pet shelters.

On 1/15/2024 at 8:57 PM, pubic_assistance said:

I volunteer each MLK day by explaining to black Americans that their vote counts best by not voting the way most people vote.

They should vote for "stop and frisk"? 

On 1/16/2024 at 9:46 AM, soloyo215 said:

There has been a shift in culture in that sense (IMO). Many young people seem to think that ranting online about the environment, being disorderly in marches and displaying similar behavior online and offline is what volunteering and activism are. Also, a lot of the inititatives are now sponsored by private companies for PR purposes (which don't do much for the community, especially long-term), and (at least in my city) there have been protests and activism against non-profit organizations that are supposed to help communities and not only aren't, but they have discriminated against the communities that they are supposed to serve. Some of those places now have questionable reputations.

The older generations can still volunteer, but I have seen (in my circle, at least), a lot of disappointment, and an attitude that they are the ones in need, so they perceive volunteering as taking away from their own needed resources.

I would tell folks to volunteer daily minding their own business.

Get married before you have children would be my first advice followed by don't spend money in idiotic things and if your life sucks in a big city you should move to a place that's more affordable... etc.

Back to your post companies do it for PR purposes and nothing wrong with that as long as they put money, and the results are tangible like fixing a park, road, etc. 

On 1/16/2024 at 11:33 AM, caramelsub said:

I think volunteering is great. But in my own experience I have found some non profit organizations to be skeptical of using volunteers. I almost feel like some non profits are thinking what is this person really trying to get in return?  I remember I wanted to volunteer for a local food bank, and I got an impression from them that they were thinking why would someone be looking to work for free? Plus they asked all sorts of screening questions, like if I had received food from the food bank before. Because they didn’t allow people who have received food from them to volunteer. Which I haven’t. I ultimately decided not to do it. I could be overthinking this, but this is just my experience.

Interesting... I'm surprised they have that rule about former recipients not volunteering....

They're cautious not to get sued if you make a pass on another volunteer, someone coming to get food, etc. they're pretty much responsible for your behavior and if you commit a crime, misdemeanor, etc. in after hours they could also be "asked questions" about it. 

On 1/16/2024 at 10:43 AM, Km411 said:

In some cases, they look great in your resume and they're a way to show maturity towards getting a job in the future that involves responsibility. 

18 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Law and order as well as personal responsibility

Can't say more on the subject without delving into politics

No need for you to bring the "V" word. 

I couldn't agree with you more. Small daily actions add up later in life with big choices that have consequences in our lives. I volunteer for Whitman Walker when the only way to prevent HIV was using a condom, unfortunately some folks played Russian roulette with their own lives because they didn't have self-esteem, etc. It was a heart-breaking experience. 

Change starts at home.

8ytts-tfvv9.jpg?10268108126670649491

Edited by marylander1940

On 1/15/2024 at 8:57 PM, pubic_assistance said:

I volunteer each MLK day by explaining to black Americans that their vote counts best by not voting the way most people vote.

Most black Americans do not vote at all, so educating people in general and black youth specifically in view of this lack of participation, is a wise use of volunteer time.  Explaining to them how to that their "vote counts best by not voting the way most people vote" is proselytizing not volunteering.  

Just now, purplekow said:

Most black Americans do not vote at all, so educating people in general and black youth specifically in view of this lack of participation, is a wise use of volunteer time.  Explaining to them how to that their "vote counts best by not voting the way most people vote" is proselytizing not volunteering.  

I completely disagree.

Most people don't vote.

Most people don't understand what and who they vote for and why.

Educating black people that an educated vote counts is FAR from "proselytizing". It's empowering.

If that was the intent of your statement, it was less than clear to me.  Do not vote the way most people vote sounded as though you were suggesting write in and third party voting, which are fine if that is your desire, but should not, in my opinion, be the goal of encouraging people to vote.  Perhaps teaching people to vote their conscious, or vote their best interest would have made your intent clearer to readers such as I.     Clearly I agree with your statement that most black Americans do not vote, as I made the same statement in my post.  

Edited by purplekow

25 minutes ago, purplekow said:

and some can't vote because they've been over policed, searched, fined, and judged by our judiciary system in the toughest possible ways.

Example: Ferguson, MO

I would also tell people to eat healthy and avoid becoming one more sad statistic of obesity, poverty and diabetes. These companies that remember MLK for promotional purposes should work in bringing healthier lunch choices to our schools daily. 

Edited by marylander1940

12 minutes ago, purplekow said:

Do not vote the way most people vote sounded as though you were suggesting write in and third party voting, which are fine if that is your desire, but should not, in my opinion, be the goal of encouraging people to vote.

You have a right to your OPINION.

But write ins and third party voting are very much part of educated voting.

That however is not the focus of our programme..It's about teaching disenfranchised people how to find real information about the people running for office and not to rely on the corporate media. Also to make an informed vote for smaller local offices instead of only showing up for the Presidential vote every four years. (Or never).

Edited by pubic_assistance
completion

14 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

You have a right to your OPINION.

But write ins and third party voting are very much part of educated voting.

That however is not the focus of our programme..It's about teaching disenfranchised people how to find real information about the people running for office and not to rely on the corporate media. Also to make an informed vote for smaller local offices instead of only showing up for the Presidential vote every four years. (Or never).

Well that is much clearer. Thanks for unravelling my confusion at your initial post.    By the way I said that write ins and third party voting should not be the goal of teaching about voting, not that it should not be part of the education.  

Edited by purplekow

3 hours ago, purplekow said:

Most black Americans do not vote at all

I don’t have the exact statistics but I do know the black female voter turnout is generally very high. Far higher than the voter turn out for black men. Most likely due to felony disenfranchisement, and having their voting rights stripped away.

Edited by caramelsub

11 hours ago, caramelsub said:

I don’t have the exact statistics but I do know the black female voter turnout is generally very high. Far higher than the voter turn out for black men. Most likely due to felony disenfranchisement, and having their voting rights stripped away.

Or the fact that black women traditionally run the home and are more responsible than their men.