Volunteering to commemorate MLK day?

marylander1940

57 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Or the fact that black women traditionally run the home and are more responsible than their men.

I agree with your comment.
But, Black American men and women have historically been pitted against each other for generations. It goes back to the days of slavery. Black women were seen as less of a threat. Nowadays you see African immigrants being pitted against Black Americans to an extent.

Edited by caramelsub

15 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

That however is not the focus of our programme..It's about teaching disenfranchised people how to find real information about the people running for office and not to rely on the corporate media. Also to make an informed vote for smaller local offices instead of only showing up for the Presidential vote every four years. (Or never).

Without this clarification I construed your post as overtly political; appreciate the clarification and agree with the mission.

3 hours ago, caramelsub said:

It goes back to the days of slavery.

It goes back further than that.

In many tribal cultures in Africa, the men went out in groups to hunt. Often for weeks or months at a time. Leaving the women behind to run the village. It was a cultural norm for African women to be more organized and responsible.

Edited by pubic_assistance

4 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

It goes back further than that.

In many tribal cultures in Africa, the men went out in groups to hunt. Often for weeks or months at a time. Leaving the women behind to run the village. It was a cultural norm for African women to be more organized and responsible.

Why do you think that hunting in group to provide to the village does not involve organization and responsibility?

43 minutes ago, José Soplanucas said:

Why do you think that hunting in group to provide to the village does not involve organization and responsibility?

Good point.

But these hunting expeditions were often paired with much partying...and not a full day of hunting. Homosexuality and hallucinogenics were part of tribal hunting culture in many parts of Africa.

The women had a broader range of responsibilities and a fuller day with little time for casual sex and drugs.

40 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Good point.

But these hunting expeditions were often paired with much partying...and not a full day of hunting. Homosexuality and hallucinogenics were part of tribal hunting culture in many parts of Africa.

The women had a broader range of responsibilities and a fuller day with little time for casual sex and drugs.

I’ve never heard of homosexuality being part of tribal hunting culture in many parts of Africa, though I’m not trying to negate your claim. All I know is most of Africa is very homophobic. With strict gender roles for men and women. Men work and make a living while the women do domestic things, stay home and raise the kids. Most Africans in the continent (not really the ones who have immigrated to America and Europe) are very conservative because of their religious beliefs.

1 hour ago, caramelsub said:

I’ve never heard of homosexuality being part of tribal hunting culture in many parts of Africa, though I’m not trying to negate your claim. All I know is most of Africa is very homophobic. With strict gender roles for men and women. Men work and make a living while the women do domestic things, stay home and raise the kids. Most Africans in the continent (not really the ones who have immigrated to America and Europe) are very conservative because of their religious beliefs.

That's all a result of Colonialism.

I am talking about the.original tribal cultures before the Europeans arrived.

Men would bond with each other on hunting expeditions through physical sex acts while high on hallucinogenics but did not view it as actual homosexuality because they would return to their wives.

It's a fascinating history.

There are still a few islands where the traditions exist till today

2 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

Good point.

Do you know that you would also be describing many European cultures? 

I understand that most of the social sciences research found an explanation for the strong role of women and the challenging situation of men in the African American culture.  As a matter of fact, there were strong, sophisticated cultures under patriarchy rule in Africa, until the Europeans arrived and brought "civilization". 

1 hour ago, caramelsub said:

@pubic_assistanceis correct on that point, but we have to be careful to mistake contemporaneous homophobia and concept of homosexuality, by the homosexual practices in other cultures and times.

It is a common occurrence in many primitive and ancient human cultures (certainly in the Eurasian region where our Western Civilization recognizes its birth) that men (sometimes in group, sometimes solo) will go hunting and during these expeditions would train the younger hunters and warriors. Although anal penetration was usually condemned (which mean that it was happening), the trainer and the trainee would often interact homoertically, and even develop romantic ties. Greeks are famous for that.

From MLK’s speech “Give us the ballot,” May 1957:
“A second area in which there is need for strong leadership is from the white northern liberals. There is a dire need today for a liberalism which is truly liberal. What we are witnessing today in so many northern communities is a sort of quasi-liberalism which is based on the principle of looking sympathetically at all sides. It is a liberalism so bent on seeing all sides, that it fails to become committed to either side. It is a liberalism that is so objectively analytical that it is not subjectively committed. It is a liberalism which is neither hot nor cold, but lukewarm. (All right) We call for a liberalism from the North which will be thoroughly committed to the ideal of racial justice and will not be deterred by the propaganda and subtle words of those who say: “Slow up for a while; you’re pushing too fast.”

“A third source that we must look to for strong leadership is from the moderates of the white South. It is unfortunate that at this time the leadership of the white South stems from the close-minded reactionaries. These persons gain prominence and power by the dissemination of false ideas and by deliberately appealing to the deepest hate responses within the human mind. It is my firm belief that this close-minded, reactionary, recalcitrant group constitutes a numerical minority. There are in the white South more open-minded moderates than appears on the surface. These persons are silent today because of fear of social, political and economic reprisals. God grant that the white moderates of the South will rise up courageously, without fear, and take up the leadership in this tense period of transition.”

Some things never change. 

Edited by musclestuduws

21 hours ago, caramelsub said:

I agree with your comment.
But, Black American men and women have historically been pitted against each other for generations. It goes back to the days of slavery. Black women were seen as less of a threat. Nowadays you see African immigrants being pitted against Black Americans to an extent.

I don't know about being "pitted", and I've never met a black African or Haitian immigrant who didn't see this country as a dream, a place full of endless opportunities. 

58 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

maybe I see the best of them. 

Exactly. 

African immigrants come for the opportunity, and make of it what they can. 

If there is animosity between African immigrants and African-Americans born here it's because there is a difference of perspective about what opportunity looks like. 

I have an apartment building in Harlem. One of the units is rented to a fellow who sublets rooms to Senagalese taxi drivers. They basically rent a bed in a shared room to sleep when they're off duty. These guys work long hours and share an apartment with a dozen other men sleeping in shifts..it's a rough existence but every one of those men has a smile on his face and a happy hello each time I see them. Never a drop of bitterness about not being where they want to be in their life today. They see a better tomorrow and work hard for it. Great group of guys. I applaud their positive attitude toward life. Others should take a lesson from them.

On 1/17/2024 at 7:16 PM, marylander1940 said:

and some can't vote because they've been over policed, searched, fined, and judged by our judiciary system in the toughest possible ways.

Example: Ferguson, MO

I would also tell people to eat healthy and avoid becoming one more sad statistic of obesity, poverty and diabetes. These companies that remember MLK for promotional purposes should work in bringing healthier lunch choices to our schools daily. 

I know there are food desrts in Black neighborhoods in Philadelphia.  When I worked for the city of Philadelphia for twenty two I usually brought two  sandwiches and  and a large bottle of milk.

I went to Black  neighborhoods about five times a month 

2 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

Exactly. 

African immigrants come for the opportunity, and make of it what they can. 

If there is animosity between African immigrants and African-Americans born here it's because there is a difference of perspective about what opportunity looks like. 

I have an apartment building in Harlem. One of the units is rented to a fellow who sublets rooms to Senagalese taxi drivers. They basically rent a bed in a shared room to sleep when they're off duty. These guys work long hours and share an apartment with a dozen other men sleeping in shifts..it's a rough existence but every one of those men has a smile on his face and a happy hello each time I see them. Never a drop of bitterness about not being where they want to be in their life today. They see a better tomorrow and work hard for it. Great group of guys. I applaud their positive attitude toward life. Others should take a lesson from them.

Yes that was what I meant by black Americans being pitted against African immigrants. Many Americans think African immigrants are like the black model minority. Hard working, value education, never complain about racism or living in America. And compare them to black Americans, whom many Americans think are lazy, hate white people, hate the police, or whatever other negative stereotypes of black Americans are out there. But I always remember a true racist will hate you regardless of if you are a product of African immigrants or you are of black American descent. So it is best not to pit the black ethnicities against each other, and for the two groups to learn and understand each other better.

Edited by caramelsub

On 1/18/2024 at 8:29 PM, caramelsub said:

Homosexuality is visually depicted on ancient artifacts , in hieroglyphics. 

On 1/18/2024 at 8:29 PM, caramelsub said:

Those religious beliefs were programmed into those African cultures through colonialism, from European Settlers. 

Homophobic beliefs came from that source.