Sao Paulo for newbies include Espaco Lagoa sauna and HotHouse, Danger

Alfstoria

thanks @coriolis888 it is wise to be extra careful. In my case i bet i will end up getting drive everywhere and anywhere. Specially after getting pound so hard by those GP, i guess i am not as in good shape as used to, and took a lot of GP the same day

I am still paying the consequences of the excess i indulged in SP. it was really good, but painful ;/ i may need to hang the Bottom Out of Order sign 

Most of the favela's inhabitants are hard-working, honest people who cannot afford to live in areas with better infrastructure. It is true, as often happens worldwide, poverty comes mixed with all kinds of marginals. But most of the neighbors are humble, friendly, honest people. The stigmatization in this thread is unsurprising and dull. I think I have moved beyond disgust.

The street I wrongly turned in is Ladeira dos Tabajaras. See the map below.

Screenshot2023-09-01at3_37_22PM.thumb.png.4f025ab6cd4c633ef6eb802fa2612554.png

I was walking on Siqueira Campos coming from the beachside. As you can see in the lower right corner, Ladeira starts on Siqueira and runs almost parallel. I accidentally turned right and walked into what happened to be the main street of the favela. 

It was after six and already dark. The traffic, pedestrians and vehicles, ran with me up the hill. Mostly humble workers, many women, who were coming back home after work by walking, motorbikes, and combies that seemed informal public transportation. I am not sure; I did not research.

I soon realized that I was going the wrong way, and for a minute, I got scared. Fearmongering preaching also affects me. I remembered that it is vital not to look disoriented in these situations, so I decided not to turn around but to keep going until the next crossway and turn left to return to Siqueira.

I had just crossed Santa Margarida and did not know I would not have another crossing street on my way. But the fear was going away, as I saw no signs of danger. The traffic was hefty, as the road was not wide, and the combies would take all the space when one coming up (mostly full of female workers) coincided when one coming down the hill to pick up more passengers, plus the motorbikes and bikes and pedestrian and a few cars. It was a busy commute.

I shared the experience here, although without much detail. Eventually, I turned around. I am misreporting the street numbers; I do not think I reached the 800s as I claim in the linked thread.

Screenshot2023-09-01at4_31_34PM.thumb.png.35b0e5d6e120ee5136c1ec31bd96ab38.png

I think I reached that place, almost the 600s. It was dark, and Google Maps fotos are often outdated. Although I do not remember exactly, I remember a bar and a curve. I hoped to find the street to turn left after that curve, but when I did not see any, I turned around and returned to Siqueira.

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 4.41.48 PM.png

4 hours ago, José Soplanucas said:

But most of the neighbors are humble, friendly, honest people

true - and those same people are terrorized by the gangs & drug dealers that actually run the favelas.  nobody lives there by choice because of the dire circumstances.  I guess naive tourists could somehow perceive it differently. 

one of the purposes of this forum is to try to help others stay out of trouble when traveling to destinations discussed. In this case Rio.  You evidently know more than the locals, the Brazilian media and all the members here who have shared their actual experiences  

Bravo for the Oscar award winning virtue signaling performance though. Which seems to be the entire point.  

Rocinha

Until recently, Rocinha was one of Rio’s safest favela and was host to many favela tours. However, a recent power struggle between drug lords and police has caused a series of spontaneous shoot-outs and army intervention as the authorities attempt to regain control over Rio’s largest favela.

The worst of this incident took place over the course of a weekend and the police were able to restore some calm to the area.

However, the future remains unpredictable and the army remain within the favela.

Until the peace has been totally restored, it is best to completely avoid Rocinha at the moment.

From the US Embassy in Brazil:

the country of Brazil is designated as Level 2 which means “Exercise Increased Caution”  

Then there are additional warnings for specific areas such as favelas & they are designated as Level 4 which means “DO NOT TRAVEL”. US Embassy & other US government personnel are forbidden to enter these areas.  
Link below for maps of several Brazilian cities showing the known favelas

Lagoa-Favelas-2.png
BR.USEMBASSY.GOV

The caution area maps shown below were created to help U.S. Citizens travelers avoid potentially...

Informal Housing Developments (commonly known as “Favelas”) – Level 4: Do Not Travel

Do not travel to informal housing developments (commonly referred to in Brazil as favelas, vilas, comunidades, and/or conglomerados), even on a guided tour. Neither the tour companies nor the police can guarantee your safety when entering these communities. Even in these communities that the police or local governments deem safe, the situation can change quickly and without notice. While some informal housing developments have clear boundaries or gates, or even names such as “favela”, “vila”, “comunidade”, or “conglomerado”, other such developments may be less obvious, and may be identified by crowded quarters, poorer conditions, and/or irregular construction. In addition, exercise caution in areas surrounding these communities, as occasionally, inter-gang fighting and confrontations with police move beyond the confines of these communities. Except under limited circumstances and with advance approval, U.S. government personnel are not permitted to enter any informal housing developments in Brazil.

It’s absolutely possible that both things can be and are true at the same time:

Most people who live in favelas are honest, hard-working people of little means AND favelas are dangerous places mostly run by heavily-armed drug traffickers that strangers and non-residents (especially males) have NO business going into unaccompanied by a resident.

2 hours ago, solacesoul said:

Most people who live in favelas are honest, hard-working people of little means AND favelas are dangerous places mostly run by heavily-armed drug traffickers that strangers and non-residents (especially males) have NO business going into unaccompanied by a resident.

correct - also it’s interesting to look at the maps of favelas in Rio & São Paulo for comparison, that was compiled by US Embassy in Brazil.

Lagoa-Favelas-2.png
BR.USEMBASSY.GOV

The caution area maps shown below were created to help U.S. Citizens travelers avoid potentially...

In Rio, there are several favelas directly adjacent to tourist areas in Copacabana & Ipanema - and others in Zona Sul.  The favelas are literally on top of the areas where wealthy foreign tourists gather in a very small geographic area.  

By contrast - there are no favelas anywhere close to areas in São Paulo where most tourists stay.  This partially explains the crime differential tourists may experience between Rio & SP, with Rio being more dangerous or more simply where a tourist is more likely to be a crime victim.

Of course, if a tourist in São Paulo ventures into the more seedy areas like Republica although not technically a favela - the likelihood of crime greatly increases. 

It’s really not complicated- although seems to be an endless subject of conversation here.  Your chances of being a crime victim are exponentially greater in Rio, compared to SP, assuming you stay & move about in areas that are common to most tourist visits.  

The wild card, of course is how careful or careless the tourist may be.  All things being equal, SP is way safer. 

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

15 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

Of course, if a tourist in São Paulo ventures into the more seedy areas like Republica although not technically a favela - the likelihood of crime greatly increases. 

I suppose these maps are a good starting point for tourists and others who aren’t frequently there. But they seem incomplete to me when discussing street crime. For example, this portion of the map includes the eastern part of República but not the western end starting at Rua Aurora going to the Chili Pepper Hotel, in the Vila Buarque neighborhood and towards the big Santa Cecília bus station — those surrounding areas are very dicey and dangerous for a solo traveler. Not a favela in sight. 

1 hour ago, solacesoul said:

I suppose these maps are a good starting point for tourists and others who aren’t frequently there. But they seem incomplete to me when discussing street crime.

agree & that makes sense.  

it’s easy to identify favelas and place them on a map for reference.  much more difficult to show areas of dangerous street crime because that likely fluctuates a bit - except in SP, maybe for the area in front of Se, which seems entrenched.

last time i was in SP, i visited Se/Cracklandia & Luz during the day. However, I was with two Brazilian friends from SP and even they were extremely cautious and wanted to get out of there fast.  
A gringo (anyone not Brazilian) who doesn’t speak Portuguese venturing into these areas (high crime areas and/or favelas)  is a recipe for disaster.  But, I’m absolutely sure many will do it anyway. 

1 hour ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

last time i was in SP, i visited Se/Cracklandia & Luz during the day. However, I was with two Brazilian friends from SP and even they were extremely cautious and wanted to get out of there fast.  
A gringo (anyone not Brazilian) who doesn’t speak Portuguese venturing into these areas (high crime areas and/or favelas)  is a recipe for disaster.  But, I’m absolutely sure many will do it anyway. 

Sé — now that’s an area I would only use to transfer trains on the Metro! Wandering around there is a fool’s errand — and probably unlike most here, I actually look and sound the part of a brasileiro.

Speaking of Cracklandia, and going to your original point about crime and safety in Rio, there’s also an area in Rio this has now been coined “Cracklandia”. And you’d never guess where it is…. in the tony, upscale, and supposedly safe neighborhood of Leblon. It’s along Jardim de Alah, the park along the channel of water that borders Leblon and Ipanema (Metro station of the same name). 

One thing that has not been mentioned in this thread with regard to the reduction of safety in downtown Sao Paulo (Centro) is the influence the coronavirus had on the increase in crime and further deterioration of the area.  

The Praca da Republica was once a park that was fairly safe (a few years back).   

That park had been completely remodeled by the city about twelve years ago or so.  

I used to spend time in that park (Praca).  Over the years, I met some fabulous garotos there.   

Near the park, within a block distance of the Praca, were two cines where usually there were numerous handsome garotos available (Cine Aurora and Cine Paris).  

Earlier this year, in a different thread, I reported on the many changes I observed to downtown Sao Paulo after Brazil was reopened to tourists after the virus restrictions were lifted. 

In that previous thread, I reported how countless stores and places had gone out of business (or were nearly empty) including the cines.   

The coronavirus closure caused many mainstream stores and restaurants to close due to the lack of customers going to the Centro area. 

As a result of the closures, the sidewalks in front of businesses became filled with homeless people living in tents on the sidewalks.

For sentimental reasons, a few months ago I took a short visit to Centro. 

I went to the Cine Aurora and Cine Paris and the Praca.  The cines were open to collect entrance money but, once inside the facility, there were no garotos inside.  

That was a clever way for the proprietor to at least make some entrance money by not warning paying customers of the cine, that it was empty of garotos.  

Those who remember those cines and Praca would recall how easy it was to meet garotos.

Now, those cines and the park are no longer safe and are just a memory of a by-gone era.

I think it is unlikely the area will be restored to what it was prior to the closing caused by the coronavirus. 

So, those visiting Sao Paulo, avoid Centro unless you are in a large group and only want to see the remnants of what used to be.   

Agree with @coriolis888 There's no need to go to Republic, as those movie theaters are not only subpar but also unsanitary. I'm quite adventurous and enjoy mingling with locals, and Republic doesn't offer much in that regard. It's mostly an empty area with a lot of disheartened or intimidating individuals.

Furthermore, after spending time at bathhouses and clubs, I found myself lacking the energy I needed to rest and make the most of my free time exploring the sights and indulging in some shopping – and yes, I did quite a bit of shopping, thanks to the amazing prices. so is not worth, Dedalos bar is in the area, but i always took a Uber there, never walked for that area.

i need vacation to recuperate for all those GP that destroyed my  🕳️. i havent even changed any of my plans for nov/dec, i am not sure if i am up to travel again.

On 9/4/2023 at 2:40 PM, Alfstoria said:

Agree with @coriolis888 There's no need to go to Republic, as those movie theaters are not only subpar but also unsanitary. I'm quite adventurous and enjoy mingling with locals, and Republic doesn't offer much in that regard. It's mostly an empty area with a lot of disheartened or intimidating individuals.

Furthermore, after spending time at bathhouses and clubs, I found myself lacking the energy I needed to rest and make the most of my free time exploring the sights and indulging in some shopping – and yes, I did quite a bit of shopping, thanks to the amazing prices. so is not worth, Dedalos bar is in the area, but i always took a Uber there, never walked for that area.

i need vacation to recuperate for all those GP that destroyed my  🕳️. i havent even changed any of my plans for nov/dec, i am not sure if i am up to travel again.

Once you return home and begin to reflect on your most recent trip, "Mother Brazil" and all that it has to offer you and others will definitely beckon you back.   

And since you now know and realize how much "play" and "size" that you can endure, you'll more than likely be for the better your second time around.  You could also practice by purchasing a good dildo and slightly stretching your anal cavity.  Using fingers also can help in that department as well.

I don't like pain, and it is worse for me when it lingers.  

About six months ago, when I was in San Francisco and with my usual "go to guy," he really pummeled me the point of my having to ask him nicely to stop.  He felt oh so friggin', friggin' good that it scared me: I thought his sexual prowess and expertise would bring on a heart attack for me in spite of my not suffering from heart problems.

Well, much to his chagrin, he honored my wishes.  But to this day, I continue to ask myself if I should have allowed him to continue to please me and my "THIRD RING" for it did feel oh so fucking hot and very, very good.  He had me panting....

For me it's pretty simple,  if you're a tourist then be a tourist. Do the touristy things on your first trip. Feel things out. 2nd trip: more touristy things but maybe farther out. and So on and so forth. There's plenty to do and very little time.  The saunas will take up a lot of your time. If you feel like you have to go adventuring beyond the touristy areas on your first few trips, you probably haven't read up enough.

I don't quite understand why/how anyone would just happen to "wander" into a favela. Favelas look completely different than the rest of the city.  If you cannot distinguish between a favela and their rest of Copacabana or Ipanema, you have no business going to Brazil.  If you don't know what a favela looks like Google photos of favelas....

I really don't understand, how anyone would make this mistake. A dangerous place should feel and look completely different if you're observant. Sé doesn't have as many people walking around because it's a place you shouldn't be walking around. It's pretty obvious if you have went beyond boundaries because the streets will have significantly less people.  Paulista, Augusta, Oscar Freire, Freire  Caneca, Villa Madalena etc etc. has young and old, locals and tourists walking around, in a relaxed manner because there's little reason to be so guarded (stay a little bit guarded though)

Follow the rules. Keep to your Ubers; don't walk if you don't feel 100% safe about a place. Listen to the safety reports here (with a grain of salt, they tend to be overblown). Moreso, Listen to locals, they know what's unsafe and what's not.  For Example, I would never have known that Copacabana beach is not super safe during sunset, because this is when tourists are on the move back to their hotels and robbers take advantage. Learned this from an Uber driver.  I like to stay in moderately priced hotels and draw in Brazilians more than tourists because robbers are probably going to target the expensive, tourist heavy hotels. Copacabana Palace is a huge no-no unless you just plan to stay in the hotel and take Ubers.

Keep the over-confidence in check. 

3 minutes ago, mixer17 said:

For me it's pretty simple,  if you're a tourist then be a tourist. Do the touristy things on your first trip. Feel things out. 2nd trip: more touristy things but maybe farther out. and So on and so forth. There's plenty to do and very little time.  The saunas will take up a lot of your time. If you feel like you have to go adventuring beyond the touristy areas on your first few trips, you probably haven't read up enough.

I don't quite understand why/how anyone would just happen to "wander" into a favela. Favelas look completely different than the rest of the city.  If you cannot distinguish between a favela and their rest of Copacabana or Ipanema, you have no business going to Brazil.  If you don't know what a favela looks like Google photos of favelas....

I really don't understand, how anyone would make this mistake. A dangerous place should feel and look completely different if you're observant. Sé doesn't have as many people walking around because it's a place you shouldn't be walking around. It's pretty obvious if you have went beyond boundaries because the streets will have significantly less people.  Paulista, Augusta, Oscar Freire, Freire  Caneca, Villa Madalena etc etc. has young and old, locals and tourists walking around, in a relaxed manner because there's little reason to be so guarded (stay a little bit guarded though)

Follow the rules. Keep to your Ubers; don't walk if you don't feel 100% safe about a place. Listen to the safety reports here (with a grain of salt, they tend to be overblown). Moreso, Listen to locals, they know what's unsafe and what's not.  For Example, I would never have known that Copacabana beach is not super safe during sunset, because this is when tourists are on the move back to their hotels and robbers take advantage. Learned this from an Uber driver.  I like to stay in moderately priced hotels and draw in Brazilians more than tourists because robbers are probably going to target the expensive, tourist heavy hotels. Copacabana Palace is a huge no-no unless you just plan to stay in the hotel and take Ubers.

I guess what I was trying to say is you shouldn't need these maps if:

1.  You have prepared and listed down some destinations.  

2. You have EYES and COMMON SENSE.  

3. You have downloaded UBER into your phone. 

2 hours ago, mixer17 said:

Let assure you if you have been mugged as I was safely concerns are not “overblown.”

11 hours ago, Axiom2001 said:

Once you return home and begin to reflect on your most recent trip, "Mother Brazil" and all that it has to offer you and others will definitely beckon you back.   

And since you now know and realize how much "play" and "size" that you can endure, you'll more than likely be for the better your second time around.  You could also practice by purchasing a good dildo and slightly stretching your anal cavity.  Using fingers also can help in that department as well.

I don't like pain, and it is worse for me when it lingers.  

About six months ago, when I was in San Francisco and with my usual "go to guy," he really pummeled me the point of my having to ask him nicely to stop.  He felt oh so friggin', friggin' good that it scared me: I thought his sexual prowess and expertise would bring on a heart attack for me in spite of my not suffering from heart problems.

Well, much to his chagrin, he honored my wishes.  But to this day, I continue to ask myself if I should have allowed him to continue to please me and my "THIRD RING" for it did feel oh so fucking hot and very, very good.  He had me panting....

I usually handle it well since I'm a full bottom and never top, but maybe it was like having too much candy in one day? I went a bit crazy and enjoyed it, but going for a second or third trip would help me get used to Brazilian sizes. :) 

5 hours ago, kingsley88 said:

I went to Brazil back in July and had a great time. I plan to go back this fall and heard starting Oct 1st, 2023 Brazil will require a visitor/tourist visa again for US passport holders.

I read about those travel requirements in the forum, as well as the 2 year one in Europe with ETIAS. However, I'm wondering if it will become common to post /share information around the airports? I didn’t see any travel warnings in EU or Brazil. 

I've never needed a visa, so I hope that the fact that you paid a few euros/dollars will speed up the process. The EU has been discussing entry requirements for a while, but now it's been moved to 2024. I hope travelers in the forum keep us updated on what to expect.

10 hours ago, kingsley88 said:

I went to Brazil back in July and had a great time. I plan to go back this fall and heard starting Oct 1st, 2023 Brazil will require a visitor/tourist visa again for US passport holders.

The tourist visa entry requirement for US citizens has been delayed until January 10, 2024. 

On 9/4/2023 at 5:56 PM, coriolis888 said:

So, those visiting Sao Paulo, avoid Centro unless you are in a large group and only want to see the remnants of what used to be.   

This won’t affect casual visitors too much, but in the past few years (post-pandemic), the strip in República along Largo do Arouche has been rapidly gentrifying — with several new and renovated condo buildings.

17 hours ago, mixer17 said:

I guess what I was trying to say is you shouldn't need these maps if:

agree 

the maps were to make two points: first, in Rio the tourist areas are surrounded by favelas & adjacent, thus the need to be extra vigilant. second, the situation is completely different in SP where favelas are nowhere close to tourist areas.

it was to illustrate the difference between the two cities for those who don’t get it.  It’s a subject of ongoing debate here for some reason 

16 hours ago, mixer17 said:

I don't quite understand why/how anyone would just happen to "wander" into a favela

agree - yet, there are multiple posts here from people doing precisely that.  
some might think it’s cool to do a “favela tour”.  or, they think the American media has wildly overblown the criminal elements in the favelas.  And then there are just some really stupid people 

8 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

agree - yet, there are multiple posts here from people doing precisely that.  
some might think it’s cool to do a “favela tour”.  or, they think the American media has wildly overblown the criminal elements in the favelas.  And then there are just some really stupid people 

Some people just don't know how to travel safely I guess.  I've been to Brazil 15x now and I still don't get the draw of Favela tours. First why go to asking for trouble and secondly,  as I mentioned before If you have time to go to a favela tour with the sauna and nightlife taking up a significant portion of your time, you're just doing it wrong.  Brazil has been the most amazing place that's brought me the most joy compared to all the places I have travelled. 

22 hours ago, sydneyboy said:

Let assure you if you have been mugged as I was safely concerns are not “overblown.”

You can get mugged anywhere careful or not. Take precautions and plan ahead. The way I dress I dress in Brasil is 90% different than at home. I do not flaunt anything. I carry a decoy wallet, with small bills and expired credit cards. My passport stays in the hotel safe and I have a spare phone. I have a $1,000,000 travel insurance policy with repatriation, I pay yearly and can use all-over the world. It's already paid for itself when I got COVID in Brazil. Top notch hospital , concierge service for international patients, 450$ fully reimbursed. Choice of hospital should also be known prior to traveling.  

There are many many many places in the US now that it is more dangerous than Sao Paolo or Zona Sul in Rio.  I am in the medical field and just today I treated someone that got randomly shot, in their car, driving on the freeway in a safe suburb.  

I feel are a lot safer now in the good parts of Sao Paolo than a lot of places in California now.  Nowadays I can't even go to any kind of minority focused event (e.g. gay pride) without the thought of a random mass gun violence in the back of my head.  Do a simple google of "mass shootings" for different countries and you will be surprised how much safer Brazil is than a lot of places. 

Big cities are all the same when you think of it.  Hotels, drug stores, groceries stores, places of work, malls etc etc; the surroundings and people just look different. If you think the safety of big cities in US vs Brasil is different, you might want to do some research. Europe is the same if you turn the wrong corner.  Athens: you will see as much drugs as Skid row in LA or that bad part of Vancouver. Montreal has a little homeless problem now too but that doesn't mean I am not going. I never come home from Italy without my backpack having a few slash marks.  My Travel bag specifically for Europe is slash-proof.  If you haven't things like this in the majority of the places you travel to, then you are probably a "resort" person who stays in their hotel or the places you travel to are totally sterile. 

ANYWHERE THERE ARE TOURISTS, THERE IS DANGER. If you can't accept this, don't travel.  If you are afraid, stay home.

Edited by mixer17

22 hours ago, sydneyboy said:

I am sorry to hear about this by the way.  I have read about your experience in other posts.  I would actually stay away from Copacabana palace though . Unless you literally plan to Uber from the front door of the palace to anywhere you are going.  I also would not step out of the palace unless my Uber is ready to go right in front.  The Uber would have to drop me off right in front of the palace going home as well.  The good motoristas know this and will warn you about danger. For The way I like to travel the palace is a no-go. There are times I would spring for say Emiliano, but this would be for one night, when I don't plan to leave the hotel.  I feel way more relaxed in a hotel that is Brazilian brand i.e. Atlantico or Windsor.  I feel like the chances of being a Gringo Victim is way less.

Edited by mixer17