Sinead O'Connor, dead at 56... RIP

CuriousByNature

Her family has confirmed the Irish singer passed away this morning at the age of 56. No details were given about her passing. 

Her single 'Nothing Compares 2 U' still sends chills down my spine - such a powerful song and beautiful video. 

WWW.REUTERS.COM

Sinead O'Connor, the Irish singer known for her stirring voice, 1990 chart topping hit "Nothing Compares 2 U" and outspoken views, has died at the age of 56, Irish media...

Well, I don't know if that was her intention, but she'll always be remembered best for that photo-tearing incident. I also remember on some late night show shortly thereafter someone dressed up as the Pope tear up a photo of her. Was it Jay Leno? David Letterman?

Sinead will be remembered as a brilliant, iconoclastic performer and activist.  Her musical talent is undeniable and she was absolutely right to expose the obvious corruption of the Catholic Church that was getting away with abusing children for decades if not centuries. RIP to one of the best artists of her generation even with her relatively short career.

10 minutes ago, keroscenefire said:

...RIP to one of the best artists of her generation...

Was that a Freudian slip? 😁

A 30 años del 'I do not want what I haven't got' de Sinéad O'Connor

Edited by Unicorn

I always really liked her first album "The Lion and the Cobra." She really was at that vanguard of "alternative music," a great hybrid of dance, rock, folk and something avant-garde and completely different. And that amazing voice that could coo softly one second and absolutely wail the next. Though her biggest hit is a Prince cover, she was a great songwriter in her own right. 

Edited by keroscenefire

Sinead O'Connor, who changed her name to Shuhuda Davitt when she converted to Islam, was a sick and hateful racist, who, among other profound thoughts, said “What I’m about to say is something so racist I never thought my soul could ever feel it,” she wrote. “But truly I never wanna spend time with white people again (if that’s what non-Muslims are called). Not for one moment, for any reason. They are disgusting.”

sineadoconnor.jpg?quality=75&width=1200&
WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

'What I'm about to say is something so racist I never thought my soul could ever feel it'

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

May Shuhuda Davitt find that special place in hell reserved for hatemongers like herself. 

BoZo

Edited by BOZO T CLOWN

I discovered her "Lion and the Cobra" album in college. It blew me away then, and it remains my go to album when I what to stay home alone, light the house with 100’s of candles, and rage against the universe. That much raw power and guttural passion has never been seen before or since. And yes, like most great artists, she was controversial and most likely insane. I’m ok with that.

"Nothing compares to U" was the sound track to leaving my first boyfriend. And it remains true. He is one of a kind. 

Her next album "Am I Not Your Girl?" showed she had real musical chops, and respect for the Jazz Greats. 

So yes, I was and am a huge fan. I only saw her perform live once. It was the strange and twitchy mess that you’d expect, but it was strong and powerful nonetheless. 

RIP you proud and amazing Irish goddess!

The phoenix from the flame
You will learn 
You will rise
You'll return
Being what you are
There is no other Troy
For you to burn

33 minutes ago, BOZO T CLOWN said:

... “But truly I never wanna spend time with white people again (if that’s what non-Muslims are called). Not for one moment, for any reason. They are disgusting.”

Yikes. What a statement. At least she got her wish, peace be upon her. 

Sad to hear she's gone.  She had a troubled life for many years...mental illness.  Sadly, she lost a son to suicide not so long ago which had to be traumatic for her.  

Rightly or wrongly, I always considered her to be a one-hit wonder.  For the last 25 years, I never heard much about her except when  she was missing, threating suicide, or being hospitalized for one thing or another.  Her illness had to be exhausting for her.

On 7/26/2023 at 6:25 PM, Unicorn said:

Well, I don't know if that was her intention, but she'll always be remembered best for that photo-tearing incident. I also remember on some late night show shortly thereafter someone dressed up as the Pope tear up a photo of her. Was it Jay Leno? David Letterman?

Indeed, the first time I saw this statue of the girl facing the bull on Wall Street, my first thought was of Sinead O'Connor and that infamous photo moment. I saw the same spirit in her features. Defiant. Fierce. Challenging. Provocative.

Screenshot_20230727_215431_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.3217d3abd31daa6addc3680c161a706f.jpg

1 hour ago, EZEtoGRU said:

Sad to hear she's gone.  She had a troubled life for many years...mental illness.  Sadly, she lost a son to suicide not so long ago which had to be traumatic for her.  

Rightly or wrongly, I always considered her to be a one-hit wonder.  For the last 25 years, I never heard much about her except when  she was missing, threating suicide, or being hospitalized for one thing or another.  Her illness had to be exhausting for her.

You're right. Nothing Compares 2 U was her only song to hit the Top 40 in the US. The only other song to get to the charts at all was Emperor's New Clothes, which got to #60. That last one did hit #5 in Ireland, #20 in Australia, and #31 in the UK, though. 

18 hours ago, BOZO T CLOWN said:

Sinead O'Connor, who changed her name to Shuhuda Davitt when she converted to Islam, was a sick and hateful racist, who, among other profound thoughts, said “What I’m about to say is something so racist I never thought my soul could ever feel it,” she wrote. “But truly I never wanna spend time with white people again (if that’s what non-Muslims are called). Not for one moment, for any reason. They are disgusting.”

sineadoconnor.jpg?quality=75&width=1200&
WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

'What I'm about to say is something so racist I never thought my soul could ever feel it'

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

May Shuhuda Davitt find that special place in hell reserved for hatemongers like herself. 

BoZo

She was a very troubled individual and an abuse survivor.  There is never any reason for being hateful, but she had some serious issues going on.  She did not seem to have a filter and would often backtrack and apologize for things she said or wrote shortly after.  As for the horrible post about white people or non-Muslims, she later clarified that she was trying to get herself kicked off Twitter, or whatever platform that was posted on. Sadly, she often was provocative in a way that hurt people, and I think that goes back to the saying that 'hurt people hurt people'.  I doubt anyone understood the darkness she must have lived with - I was never a fan, and was revolted by certain things she said, but I have tried to see how much of her actions and words evidently came from a place of profound pain.

20 minutes ago, CuriousByNature said:

She was a very troubled individual and an abuse survivor.  There is never any reason for being hateful, but she had some serious issues going on.  She did not seem to have a filter and would often backtrack and apologize for things she said or wrote shortly after.  As for the horrible post about white people or non-Muslims, she later clarified that she was trying to get herself kicked off Twitter, or whatever platform that was posted on. Sadly, she often was provocative in a way that hurt people, and I think that goes back to the saying that 'hurt people hurt people'.  I doubt anyone understood the darkness she must have lived with - I was never a fan, and was revolted by certain things she said, but I have tried to see how much of her actions and words evidently came from a place of profound pain.

Very  well said. 

In the larger context, Sinead always stood for justice. She was not a “disgusting racist,” quite the opposite in fact. This is the woman who wrote “Black Boys on Mopeds” two decades before Black Lives Matter. 
She spoke up, and she wasn’t polite about it.

Sometimes she was lashing out though….

I have no doubt that I followed her more closely than anyone else here, and I can tell you that her mental illness seemed to be quite severe. But she made powerful, thoughtful, profound music. 

“These are dangerous days

To say what you feel is to dig your own grave.

Remember what I told you

If you were of the world they would love you.”

She was not of this world. And she didn’t care if we loved her. She spoke truth regardless of the outcome. And on a bad mental health day she did sometimes get it wrong.

Still… she was braver than most. 

2 hours ago, Bokomaru said:

Very  well said. 

Sinead always stood for justice. She was not a “disgusting racist,” quite the opposite in fact.

Sinead wasn't a "disgusting racist"? Ok, then she was a bitter, vile, and despicable racist. Feel better?

"I never wanna spend time with white people again..... Not for one moment, for any reason. They are disgusting".

Substitute the word "black" for "white" in her her hateful comment (above).
If a celebrity had said that he/she never wants to spend time with black people and that black people are disgusting, there would be (justifiable) outrage. The celebrity would face threats, boycotts, be forced to apologize, and likely cancelled.

By her own words, she will be condemned to eternal damnation.

BoZo

15 hours ago, KeepItReal said:

Indeed, the first time I saw this statue of the girl facing the bull on Wall Street, my first thought was of Sinead O'Connor and that infamous photo moment. I saw the same spirit in her features. Defiant. Fierce. Challenging. Provocative.

Screenshot_20230727_215431_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.3217d3abd31daa6addc3680c161a706f.jpg

Of course, we all know what comes shortly thereafter, when a girl thinks she can provoke a bull....

When Bulls Attack - YouTube

de50809b-d54a-4d5d-918d-7ed0db85126e.jpg

Edited by Unicorn

1 hour ago, augustus said:

She made some good music.  As a person I liked her less and less as the years went by.   People want to say she should be praised for telling the truth, but what truth was that?   She was a contradiction in truth as she was all over the map.   RIP.

Liking her less and less makes sense. Her mental illness got worse over the years, and it showed. You’re right that she was all over the map  

As for her truth telling, I’d refer you to her lyrics, not her interviews. 

• 2 weeks later...