Any experience with Wegovy?

BeamerBikes

4 hours ago, purplekow said:

Wegovy seems to have about the same effect on weight loss as Ozempic.  The side effect profile is about the same.  Side effects do not need to be listed in the package insert unless they meet a criterion of causing side effects about a threshold percentage of users.  So most of the side effects in the package insert are usually mild and frequent, such as nausea and vomiting.  Other side effects may be less common and not have the same need to be included in the package insert.   

Recently the government has declared that Ozempic supplies were so low as to permit compounding of the drug by accredited compounding pharmacies.  As a result, there are companies other than the brand producer who are making Ozempic.  So if you are getting Ozempic, make sure you are getting the actual product brand name.  If the packaging is not correct, you may be getting a pharmacy compounded form of the drug which may be fine or which may not reach the same stand of manufacturing scrupulousness as the brand name.  

I've been getting my Ozempic compounded by a local pharmacy who also mixes in strawberry flavoring.

It's absolutely delicious.

14 minutes ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

I've been getting my Ozempic compounded by a local pharmacy who also mixes in strawberry flavoring.

Rybelsus is the oral form of semaglutide.  Ozempic is the injectable so no flavoring needed.   I would consider asking your compounder about bubblegum flavor.   

Edited by purplekow

On 11/19/2023 at 7:26 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

I can’t tell how much of this is serious. Are you on a GLP1, whether Rybelsus or Ozempic? If so, are you able to maintain muscle mass ? Is the constipation really bad?

On 11/19/2023 at 10:39 PM, purplekow said:

Rybelsus is the oral form of semaglutide. 

Then it helps appetite suppression in 2 ways, because whenever I see one of their ads I get nauseous.

3 hours ago, FreshFluff said:

Are you on a GLP1, whether Rybelsus or Ozempic? If so, are you able to maintain muscle mass ? Is the constipation really bad?

I've been on Ozempic since April.  I'm diabetic and was on Metformin, but my endocrinologist asked if I wanted to try it (then read off a laundry list of possible side effects). 

I'm prone to horrible constipation, but there's been no discernible difference in that regard.  My sister, b-i-l & I haven't really had problems from it.  I'm on the low-dose pen, he's on the medium (his doctor put him on it because he needed to lose an ENORMOUS amount of weight and wasn't a good candidate for any of the weight loss surgeries; sadly he seems to have plateaued.  He's not diabetic.) and my sister is on the high-dose for diabetes.

My biggest problem was cost.  The initial 3-month supply cost $130.  Because I'm now in the medicare coverage gap, the cost would be $755.  My doctor gave me one sample pen, and my b-i-l gave me a 1/2-full pen when he was bumped up from low to medium.

I saw my doctor Aug 29th & my A1C was 5.7, down from 8.5 Jan 2022, and from 6.7ish since May 2022.  I asked him if I could do a shot every 8-9 days to stretch out my supply since my #s were so good and he said yes.  I realized that wouldn't get me even close to the end of the year, so since mid-Sept I've dialed back from 1/2 mg doses to 1/4 and I'm doing it every 10 days, and taking Metformin every other day to supplement it.  I had plenty left on hand. My sister's doctor had her on both for awhile.  I had a home-health visit Tuesday and she measured my A1C at 5.9, which I'll take because I've been overdoing it on empty carbs for a few weeks.  

As for the weight loss, it really works...  after awhile and only for awhile.   Like I said to the doctor when he suggested it, "for whom is there any correlation between hunger and eating, so how does it help to lose weight?"  I had lost 18 pounds the first 4 months on Metformin (without really trying; don't know why) then plateaued for a year, so I figured let's try it.

It takes a couple of weeks for the appetite suppression to kick in. Then for a few weeks you feel FULL ALL THE TIME and never really feel like eating.  You lose a lot.  But then you stop feeling full all the time and just don't feel hungry, which of course means you can eat like a normal person does-- when you're in the mood for something, not because you're hungry.

You're still rarely hungry, but by golly, you don't have to let that stop you from eating!  

Seriously, though, when I nosh and/or binge the portions are still less than they were in the olden days of 2021.  In 6 months on Ozempic I've lost 35ish but most of that was the first 3 months.

And I have no muscle mass to maintain.

ALL Man!.JPG

counting calories.gif

Fatman at computer.jpg

Brokeback Sesame Street.jpg

Edited by samhexum
for absolutely NO @%!*ING reason at all!

On 11/23/2023 at 8:53 PM, samhexum said:

Then it helps appetite suppression in 2 ways, because whenever I see one of their ads I get nauseous.

I've been on Ozempic since April.  I'm diabetic and was on Metformin, but my endocrinologist asked if I wanted to try it (then read off a laundry list of possible side effects). 

I'm prone to horrible constipation, but there's been no discernible difference in that regard.  My sister, b-i-l & I haven't really had problems from it.  I'm on the low-dose pen, he's on the medium (his doctor put him on it because he needed to lose an ENORMOUS amount of weight and wasn't a good candidate for any of the weight loss surgeries; sadly he seems to have plateaued.  He's not diabetic.) and my sister is on the high-dose for diabetes.

My biggest problem was cost.  The initial 3-month supply cost $130.  Because I'm now in the medicare coverage gap, the cost would be $755.  My doctor gave me one sample pen, and my b-i-l gave me a 1/2-full pen when he was bumped up from low to medium.

I saw my doctor Aug 29th & my A1C was 5.7, down from 8.5 Jan 2022, and from 6.7ish since May 2022.  I asked him if I could do a shot every 8-9 days to stretch out my supply since my #s were so good and he said yes.  I realized that wouldn't get me even close to the end of the year, so since mid-Sept I've dialed back from 1/2 mg doses to 1/4 and I'm doing it every 10 days, and taking Metformin every other day to supplement it.  I had plenty left on hand. My sister's doctor had her on both for awhile.  I had a home-health visit Tuesday and she measured my A1C at 5.9, which I'll take because I've been overdoing it on empty carbs for a few weeks.  

As for the weight loss, it really works...  after awhile and only for awhile.   Like I said to the doctor when he suggested it, "for whom is there any correlation between hunger and eating, so how does it help to lose weight?"  I had lost 18 pounds the first 4 months on Metformin (without really trying; don't know why) then plateaued for a year, so I figured let's try it.

It takes a couple of weeks for the appetite suppression to kick in. Then for a few weeks you feel FULL ALL THE TIME and never really feel like eating.  You lose a lot.  But then you stop feeling full all the time and just don't feel hungry, which of course means you can eat like a normal person does-- when you're in the mood for something, not because you're hungry.

You're still rarely hungry, but by golly, you don't have to let that stop you from eating!  

Seriously, though, when I nosh and/or binge the portions are still less than they were in the olden days of 2021.  In 6 months on Ozempic I've lost 35ish but most of that was the first 3 months.

And I have no muscle mass to maintain.

ALL Man!.JPG

counting calories.gif

Fatman at computer.jpg

Brokeback Sesame Street.jpg

You're doing awesome, Sam. Few people lose weight on Metformin, so you already had a major head start. And no comsti;ation--excellent! 35 pounds in 6 months is great--just slow enough the weight loss will be easier to maintain.

You must be over the moon.

• 3 weeks later...

My diet plan is called Assrimpecs… I basically rim ass for 1/2 hour and lick some pecs for a few mins and then feel Completely satisfied~ I typically lose approximately 4mls each time… (whatever that weighs). 
 It’s a plan I can stick by and there’s no Max out limit… eat as much as You want~   
 The side effects are: a boner~ 
 Assrimpec… Works like a charm~  It’s magically delicious~   

IMG_2343.jpeg

Edited by Tygerscent

It's a horrible drug!   I was on Ozempic for about 3 months.  The first month you inject 0.25 mg, second month you inject 0.50 mg, third month you inject 1.0 mg.  That's when I started losing it (my mind). Very sleepy, irritable and constipation like I never had in my life.  And muscle aches too (back of neck and right knee).  And I didn't lose a pound.  

Edited by augustus

It's always been easy for me to lose weight with jogging and hard work but those days are over and even walking long distances is hard. So I'm awaiting my MD's decision my pre-D is  full D and nothing else works. In the meantime I'm eating very healthy to lower triglycerides, but it's almost impossible after a certain age to lose weight normal ways. Your metabolism tanks and exercise is walking upstairs in the house twice a day or shopping at Costco or Ikea..  (My fear is I'll get the Diabetes down to pre-level etc and no longer qualify for the shots on Medicare). 

Anyway I read about a new one that starts with a Tri I think that the article said cures so much in addition to weight. So, if I join the shot club that baby is my choice to lose 40 pounds and 20 years.  (p.s.- I'm one of those suckers that tries every new miracle fad). 

21 hours ago, augustus said:

It's a horrible drug!   I was on Ozempic for about 3 months.  The first month you inject 0.25 mg, second month you inject 0.50 mg, third month you inject 1.0 mg.  That's when I started losing it (my mind). Very sleepy, irritable and constipation like I never had in my life.  And muscle aches too (back of neck and right knee).  And I didn't lose a pound.  

I'm really sorry you've had such a painful few months and didn't even lose any weight! No amount of weight loss is worth what you've suffered. 

How were the size effects on the 0.25 mg dose? If you felt ok then, you could ask your doctor to stay on that dose. Some people do that and lose weight slowly. The starter doses are hard to find right now though. 

Some people who can't tolerate Ozempic ask the pharmacy for extra tips and split the dose in half or thirds. This apparently cuts down on the side effects but may decrease efficacy. Dose splitting is not sanctioned but I spoke to my doctor about it when we discussed Ozempic, and she had no problem with it. (As I mentioned, I have yet to try the medication. I did discuss it with my doctor.)

Of course, none of this is medical advice.  Only your doctor can provide that. 

Edited by FreshFluff

34 minutes ago, FreshFluff said:

How were the size effects on the 0.25 mg dose? If you felt ok then, you could ask your doctor to stay on that dose. Some people do that and lose weight slowly. The starter doses are hard to find right now though. 

No side effects on the 0.25 mg dose.  My doctor tried to get me to stay on that but I decided against it.  I'm actually losing weight slowly now the old fashioned way.  Eating less LOL.

9 hours ago, Lucky said:

The .25 dose is specifically stated to be a "non-therapeutic" dose. It's just to get your body used to the drug. You cannot expect any weight loss from that dose, unless you have stepped up your diet and exercise.

You're right. The only people losing weight on that dose are the off label 'tired of my cellulite" patients, whom the pharma companies are openly courting

I'm awaiting Jan 2 so I can get out of the Medicare coverage gap...

I read that a study showed people who were on Mounjaro lost twice as much as those on Ozempic, so I called my endocrinologist & he's okay with me trying that, as I've hit a bit of a plateau in the weight loss, so he'll submit a prescription 1/2/24, & I'll report back after that... if I'm still alive.  ;)

2 hours ago, samhexum said:

I'm awaiting Jan 2 so I can get out of the Medicare coverage gap...

I read that a study showed people who were on Mounjaro lost twice as much as those on Ozempic, so I called my endocrinologist & he's okay with me trying that, as I've hit a bit of a plateau in the weight loss, so he'll submit a prescription 1/2/24, & I'll report back after that... if I'm still alive.  ;)

There's a new one that starts with Tri I've heard is amazing in side health benefits. 

On 12/17/2023 at 9:06 PM, tassojunior said:

I read about a new one that starts with a Tri I think that the article said cures so much in addition to weight. So, if I join the shot club that baby is my choice to lose 40 pounds and 20 years.  (p.s.- I'm one of those suckers that tries every new miracle fad). 

9 minutes ago, tassojunior said:

There's a new one that starts with Tri I've heard is amazing in side health benefits. 

TRIJARDY XR can be used along with diet and exercise to lower blood sugar in adults with type 2 diabetes, and in adults with type 2 diabetes who have known cardiovascular disease when empagliflozin (JARDIANCE), one of the medicines in TRIJARDY XR, is needed to reduce the risk of cardiovascular death.

Trijardy XR 25 Mg-5 Mg-1,000 Mg Tablet, Extended Release Antihyperglycemic, Dipeptidyl Peptidase-4 (DPP-4) Inhibitors - Uses, Side Effects, and More:

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-178950/trijardy-xr-oral/details

9 hours ago, samhexum said:

TRIJARDY XR can be used along with diet and exercise to lower blood sugar in adults with type 2 diabetes, and in adults with type 2 diabetes who have known cardiovascular disease when empagliflozin (JARDIANCE), one of the medicines in TRIJARDY XR, is needed to reduce the risk of cardiovascular death.

Trijardy XR 25 Mg-5 Mg-1,000 Mg Tablet, Extended Release Antihyperglycemic, Dipeptidyl Peptidase-4 (DPP-4) Inhibitors - Uses, Side Effects, and More:

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-178950/trijardy-xr-oral/details

i googled and it's Tirzepatide (my mistake on the TRI), which is marketed now as Zepbound but it is also marketed as Mounjaro.  Indeed, as you say, it seems to be a big improvement. But Trijardy sounds interesting too. 

and from NYT article on Tirzepatide: (

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Zepbound, which is already sold by Eli Lilly as the diabetes treatment Mounjaro, was shown to reduce patients’ weight by as much as one-fifth in drug trials.

But Zepbound is only the beginning for Eli Lilly. The company and other pharmaceutical manufacturers are working on drugs that could be even more powerful.

The next Lilly drug adds glucagon, another gut hormone, to the two in Zepbound. It apparently stimulates metabolism and draws fat out of the liver.

And, like Novo Nordisk and other companies, Eli Lilly is working on a pill form of tirzepatide. It is undergoing clinical testing.

Edited by tassojunior

On 11/13/2023 at 5:08 PM, Pd1_jap said:

My mother, who is obese and diabetic, was prescribed ozempic. She had a horrible experience with it. Chronic diarrhea and vomiting. After she stopped taking it she said this, "the drug works because you're so nauseous and sick all the time the last thing you want to think about is eating."

is feeling nauseous and sick a lesser evil? 

I've been on it for 6 months, zero side effects. I've lost a few pounds but nothing shocking like the media will have you believe. I'm almost at the highest dose tho, so I hope that will help more.

It for sure curbs your appetite, but after awhile you lose that feeling, but the ramping up dosages helps bring that back.   

Don't listen to the people trying to scare you. Just talk to your doctor and give it a shot.

People want a magic pill without having to put in any real work.

Clearly, these drugs work on a weight-loss level, but it's also going to take some discipline and limiting one's self as well.

When the problem itself is food, eating and your mental relationship with either, what you need isn't a pill or an injection.  It's therapy to figure out how to better manage yourself and actions.