the real spirit of Gay Pride

José Soplanucas

I was nicely surprised by this article published in Metro Weekly. I fondly agree with the author: a call for civil disobedience in Homophobic America. 

6075329932_65910e51c9_b.jpg
WWW.METROWEEKLY.COM

We must push back, harder, stronger, together, and not let up. Because who can be proud of a community...

7 minutes ago, José Soplanucas said:

I was nicely surprised by this article published in Metro Weekly. I fondly agree with the author: a call for civil disobedience in Homophobic America. 

WWW.METROWEEKLY.COM

We must push back, harder, stronger, together, and not let up. Because who can be proud of a community...

And the haters will comment negatively in 3…2…1…

Ugh.

I'm so tired of every disenfranchised group calling for "civil disobedience".

At this point, everyone has grown deaf to this sort of protesting.

Who DOESN'T protest today ?

The Chinese are out protesting, the Muslims are out protesting. You have women's rights / gay rights / trans rights / labor rights / immigrant rights / abortion rights ...all groups using the same tired strategy.

You want influence - run for office instead of holding signs and yelling slogans.

2 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

...Who DOESN'T protest today ?...

Without protests, nothing happens, and bad behavior continues. We would still have bar raids were it not for Stonewall, etc. There would be even more George Floyd-like deaths. Women wouldn't have the right to vote. Obviously, not everyone can successfully run for public office--even if one were to assume that this an efficient way to effect change (which it definitely is not). There's a reason that the right to protest is a cornerstone of democracy and a free society. Those who don't like public protests should spend some time living in the Russian Federation, the Islamic Republic of Iran, or the DPRK. 

4 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Without protests, nothing happens, and bad behavior continues. We would still have bar raids were it not for Stonewall, etc. There would be even more George Floyd-like deaths. Women wouldn't have the right to vote. Obviously, not everyone can successfully run for public office--even if one were to assume that this an efficient way to effect change (which it definitely is not). There's a reason that the right to protest is a cornerstone of democracy and a free society. Those who don't like public protests should spend some time living in the Russian Federation, the Islamic Republic of Iran, or the DPRK. 

The issue is only when the protesters are queer or People of Color. I do not want to ignore the admins' warning, so I do not want to bring to the table a recent "protest" widely celebrated by the Troglodytes here.

9 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

We would still have bar raids were it not for Stonewall, etc.

I didn't say you should not have HAD them. I am saying going forward it's falling on deaf ears.

The continuous pot-banging from EVERY group these days is tiresome and therefore losing its ability to get attention. Everyone is bored with the same old protest marches.

Times for new and better strategies.

Edited by pubic_assistance
grammar

3 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

I didn't say you should not have HAD them. I am saying going forward it's falling on deaf ears.

The continuous pot-banging from EVERY group these days is tiresome and therefore losing its ability to get attention. Everyone is bored with the same old protest marches.

Times for new and better strategies.

It's tiresome to you but I doubt that you participated in many, if any protests. The nice thing about being bisexual is that you can cross back over the line to being straight when trouble comes. Not saying that you do that, but it is available to you and you seem to have such trouble with gay activism.

3 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

...The continuous pot-banging from EVERY group these days is tiresome...

You're right--the peasants are revolting! 😄

6 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

Ugh.

I'm so tired of every disenfranchised group calling for "civil disobedience".

At this point, everyone has grown deaf to this sort of protesting.

Who DOESN'T protest today ?

The Chinese are out protesting, the Muslims are out protesting. You have women's rights / gay rights / trans rights / labor rights / immigrant rights / abortion rights ...all groups using the same tired strategy.

You want influence - run for office instead of holding signs and yelling slogans.

you can do both, right?

I think you're stuck decades ago. Grassroots movements with social media could reach successful! 

Civil disobedience? The American Revolution started that way, we refused to pay taxes without representation. 

6 hours ago, José Soplanucas said:

WWW.METROWEEKLY.COM

Disobedience? 

I take my money where is wanted and boycott those who prefer not to have it, is that enough civil disobedience?

BTW, there was a previous thread on a similar subject, the main thing is this video.

Edited by marylander1940

2 minutes ago, augustus said:

Nothing to do with marriage equality.  There wouldn't be such a backlash if they would leave children alone.

We leave the children alone! We're not groomers, tell your the other members of your cult to stop calling us "groomers"! 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952nwtnjpyop9vetrru5m

Edited by marylander1940

I and many others supported equal rights, supported same sex marriage, supported the issues of adoption, supported through don't ask don't tell.   Yet some show their gratitude by targeting our youth and children and creating division.  Separating the child from the parent.  Medical experiments on minors.  It is simply horrible.  Just look at the thousands of anti-pride protestors at the LA Dodgers game.  This has never happened before in modern times!   The backlash is going to be tremendous.

Edited by augustus

4 minutes ago, augustus said:

Yet some show their gratitude by targeting our youth and children and creating division.  Separating the child from the parent.  Medical experiments on minors. 

Again, what do your words even mean?  WHO is targeting "OUR" youth (and whose "youth") and children, how "creating division." When and where in this context are children being separated from parents.  And WHAT "medical experiments"?  You're just a bomb-tosser throwing words around without meaning.

36 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

Disobedience? 

I take my money where is wanted and boycott those who prefer not to have it, is that enough civil disobedience?

BTW, there was a previous thread on a similar subject, the main thing is this video.

The difference is that the article does not stop at remembering the Stonewall riots. History in the report is the fundament to question gay conformism and advocate for recovering the original meaning of Stonewall. It also reminds privileged homosexuals that we owe much of our rights and comfortable position to the braveness of drags, trans, and hustlers, the same ones being looked down on and discriminated against now. 

Edited by José Soplanucas