the real spirit of Gay Pride

José Soplanucas

5 hours ago, Lucky said:

you seem to have such trouble with gay activism.

I have trouble with the way current activism is buried in a sea of protesting.
Larry Kramer.was effective with ACT UP.  Stonewall was an historic movement

But the 70s and 80s are over and y'all are competing with 50 other special interest groups for attention now.

4 hours ago, augustus said:

As a gay man, let me just say that NOTHING sexual should be allowed anywhere in or even near a school K-12.  And certainly "gender affirmation" surgery and drugs on a minor.  Holy shit.  The community is going to get crushed.   

I agree that any display of genitals or breasts, or any obscene language should be kept from children unless parents specifically approve. However, displaying rainbow flags or cross-dressing is not sexual nor harmful to children. In fact, it's a good idea to let children know that if they're gay, that's OK. Thankfully, we're no longer living in a country in which even speaking about LGBT is considered taboo--except in many southern states. 

11 minutes ago, José Soplanucas said:

But saying that K-12 students should be isolated from sexual information speaks of profound ignorance about developmental needs and the real life of teenagers having sex. 

I don't think anyone feels you shouldnt provide sexual health information to teenagers.

The controversy is about elementary school children being exposed to more than most parents feel appropriate. I tend to agree. Its MY decision as a parent to delve into explaining the fringes of society with my kids and it's my decision how I teach them about things that run counter to mainstream ideology.

And I'm not even saying I'm isolating my kids. My kids are New Yorkers and see pretty much everything. I am saying the how and when is a parents choice. Although I don't think you SHOULD be a bigot. I do agree that people have a right to the religious beliefs as much as I may disagree with them. It's none of my business.

Given that kids cannot avoid sexual material- just watch television ads!- they should have the opportunity for professional education on sexual issues that come up as appropriate for their age. I taught sex ed to sixth-graders with the full knowledge of the parents. No one kept their child away from the classes. I didn't groom anyone, just answered their questions. And yes, they were curious!

21 minutes ago, José Soplanucas said:

I must be more careful with my wording, as the snowflake troglodytes report you for personal attacks when you point out their ignorance.

yup, so many here spending lots of time trying to censor those they don’t like or agree with.   very “unlucky” if you become their target 

23 minutes ago, José Soplanucas said:

But saying that K-12 students should be isolated from sexual information speaks of profound ignorance about developmental needs and the real life of teenagers having sex. 

the ages where children are confused about sexual identity & gender is very young.  it serves no purpose keeping those subjects hidden & allowing the issues to fester while impacting mental health.  
while people with no personal experience in the area may disagree, those of us who have experienced denial of our authentic selves know this is about education and preventing more damage to children. 
my sense is the families that need this kind of help welcome it and the families that don’t need this help are the vocal opponents.  If parents object to certain class subjects, then remove the child on those days - it’s not an ongoing all encompassing topic.  

23 minutes ago, Lucky said:

Given that kids cannot avoid sexual material- just watch television ads!- they should have the opportunity for professional education on sexual issues that come up as appropriate for their age. I taught sex ed to sixth-graders with the full knowledge of the parents. No one kept their child away from the classes. I didn't groom anyone, just answered their questions. And yes, they were curious!

and internet! Nowadays they have so much information at the tip of their fingers and so do their friends who will expose them to even more knowledge. 

Besides teaching some classes in accordance to parental guidelines could be a way to avoid abuse and harassment! 

shutterstock-2224261531-scaled.jpg?auto=

Newsroom staff revolts against managers who told them to cover fewer pride events

Another article I liked. My favorite piece: Staff were outraged at the notion public opinion should guide the TV station’s news coverage.

Such a refreshing contrast with the posters advocating for submission to the masses!

Administrator’s Message

Gentlemen, The moderators are receiving reports on this thread. All off topic replies and personal attacks will be removed. If you feel a reply violates our guidelines, please report. 

• Cooper locked this topic